EGR delete - ASZ

One controls the EGR, the other controls the anti shudder valve which on the ASZ engine is part of the EGR assembly. If you are not fitting an EGR delete, leave the anti shudder vacuum control pipe connected. If you disconnect it, you will kill your engine mountings in no time.

Guest BigJase88

One controls the EGR, the other controls the anti shudder valve which on the ASZ engine is part of the EGR assembly. If you are not fitting an EGR delete, leave the anti shudder vacuum control pipe connected. If you disconnect it, you will kill your engine mountings in no time.

To moggy tech

Is egr delete safe on an asz then if your losing the anti shudder? Mines shudders on switch off

To moggy tech

Is egr delete safe on an asz then if your losing the anti shudder? Mines shudders on switch off

Depends what you mean by safe. The shudder is caused by over run cylinder firing, and the final shudder is caused by a stopping engine trying to compress remaining air in the cylinders. These shudder forces get transmitted to the crankshaft, flywheel, clutch and gearbox. Engine mounts are strained as the engine shakes quite violently.

This is why leaving the EGR in place, and simply removing it's vacuum feed, is preferable to fitting a delete pipe. It's cheaper (10p for a golf tee to blank off the vacuum pipe) and you retain the anti shudder valve. Even though the EGR is still connected to the exhaust feed pipe, no gases can get through if the vacuum feed is disconnected.

why is it that this comes up so much !! only yesterday there was a couple of topics very simular to this !

as said..

leave the egr in place and disconnect the top rubber pipe and blank off

then vent cc to atmosphere

the search will bring up everything you need to know on this topic!!

by the looks of things it has come up many many times

regards

austin

Is there anything I could do with the second pipe in order to try and retain anti shudder, without keeping the EGR valve?

Nope, ASZ engine EGR and ASV are a combined unit. If you remove the EGR you remove the ASV as well. Seriously, leave the EGR where it is, and just remove vacuum pipe. Flog the delete pipe.

Maybe i'll clean the EGR whilst it's off. I've spent money on hoses too though :( seems like a waste

EDIT:

I'm trying to work out how it works!? The pipe goes from the vacum box, onto the bottom of the EGR which slides over a nipple which is connected to a sort of pin that goes through the EGR, and doesn't seem to serve much purpose? If we can establish how the anti shudder works, perhaps there's a way around it!?

Edited by CJS-90

Maybe i'll clean the EGR whilst it's off. I've spent money on hoses too though :( seems like a waste

EDIT:

I'm trying to work out how it works!? The pipe goes from the vacum box, onto the bottom of the EGR which slides over a nipple which is connected to a sort of pin that goes through the EGR, and doesn't seem to serve much purpose? If we can establish how the anti shudder works, perhaps there's a way around it!?

If you look at the EGR from the boost pipe side you will see a butterfly flap inside the EGR valve. That is the ASV and it's position is controlled by a vacuum operated arm mounted on the side of the EGR unit. Behind the butterfly flap is a vertical pin that goes into the bit that looks like a UFO. That is the EGR valve. Obviously if you remove the EGR assembly, you lose the ASV as well, as it is part and parcel of the EGR unit.

It's easier on the BLT engine, as the AVS is a separate unit and controlled electrically. It requires a double flanged delete pipe.

If you have bought a complete set of silicon hoses and other pipework to get rid of the OEM style clips at the hose joins, then go for it. If all you have bought is the top hose and EGR delete, I would do it the simple way as stated above.

So when the engine shuts off, how does the ASV stop the car from juddering? I'm assuming there's some sort of vacum, and it moves the arm, but I still can't see how that stops a judder?

So when the engine shuts off, how does the ASV stop the car from juddering? I'm assuming there's some sort of vacum, and it moves the arm, but I still can't see how that stops a judder?

When you switch off, the vacuum control box on the drivers side inner wing, applies a vacuum to the ASV control unit for 5 seconds. That closes the butterfly flap and prevents any air from getting fed into the cylinders. So compression is lowered and the engine stops smoothly.

When you switch off, the vacuum control box on the drivers side inner wing, applies a vacuum to the ASV control unit for 5 seconds. That closes the butterfly flap and prevents any air from getting fed into the cylinders. So compression is lowered and the engine stops smoothly.

can i just ask to do an egr delete do i remove the pipe from the UFO looking thing at the top, or do i remove the pipe from the pluger looking thing on the rear side ill supply a foto if you could tell me if i have dont this right it would be hugely appreciated

post-57655-1278525031154_thumb.jpg

can i just ask to do an egr delete do i remove the pipe from the UFO looking thing at the top, or do i remove the pipe from the pluger looking thing on the rear side ill supply a foto if you could tell me if i have dont this right it would be hugely appreciated

post-57655-1278525031154_thumb.jpg

Top hose from the UFO and leave the other hose connected. Your picture is the correct way :thumbup:

What's the advice for the EGR valve on the BLT engine?

Simply remove the vacuum hose from the UFO shaped bit and plug the hose off with a golf tee. The ASV is a separate unit, fitted between the EGR and the top boost hose. The ASV is controlled electrically on the BLT engine.

Top hose from the UFO and leave the other hose connected. Your picture is the correct way :thumbup:

will i notice any particular gain from this DIY mod? i have also done the crankshaft pipe mod

will i notice any particular gain from this DIY mod? i have also done the crankshaft pipe mod

The only gain is no soot build up in the inlet manifold, and slightly improved throttle response under light loads only. The negatives are slight reduction in MPG, and increased combustion temperatures at sustained cruise speeds, with engine under light load. There is some debate as to wether that would result in valve seat damage, if car driven lightly most of the time.

The car will also stick out a lot more NOX which is extremely toxic.

Simply remove the vacuum hose from the UFO shaped bit and plug the hose off with a golf tee. The ASV is a separate unit, fitted between the EGR and the top boost hose. The ASV is controlled electrically on the BLT engine.

Thanks for the clear and concise advise. Would a hose clamp not achieve the same thing but keep both components isolated from each other and the outside world?

There seem to be quite a few airline clamps for sale on eBay that should be up to doing this. They are sold for controlling the air lines on an aquarium and are very inexpensive.

Edited by GREZA