Scouting for a Scout

Following the extension of the VAT free offer I have decided to purchase a new Scout within the next 6 months. Firstly I have to decide on whether to go for petrol or diesel and what colour, but finding the hard copy brochure, web brochure and some of the things I have read on various threads somewhat contradictory I have a few questions about options which I hope some of you may be able to answer:

1. I fancy the MFSW but what the hell is Maxi-dot and how is this different from what I presume you get on the end of the indicator stalk? (As on my current 51 plate 4x4 estate).

2. LED day running lights. Brochure says these come with the rain sensor/ light assist etc. but the latter are std on the Scout anyway. Are you paying twice if you go for the lights? Secondly, someone on a thread suggested that the LEDs will replace the fogs. True/False?

3. Variable boot floor. If you go for this option does it preclude you from having a full spare wheel/jack etc.

4. As they would only be another £68, any opinions on the benefits or otherwise of the polished Proteus v std wheels? I think they would look quite smart with the Corrida red outfit.

Any knowledge/advice/opinions gratefully received.

Cheers, Thorfinn.

1. Maxidot gives you options to setup a few extra things like: convinience (lights, locks, and many others options depending on what you have fitted) stuff you usually will need to go to the dealers to setup. I have the GSMIII so MFSW is so good.

2.LED will replace the fog's and frankly they look ugly to me to be placed there.

3. Full size spare with VBF here and jack and everything, full size beeing a 16" one not normal 17" as fitted to tires.

4. Thats a taste question but both look good.

ditto. I've got the boot floor and a 205/55 - 16 spare.

Don't get running lights - you'll just look like you don't know how to turn off your foglights.

Light assist is just a ploy to burn out your xenon bulbs quicker.

All points covered above, I agree the DRL's look pants but thats a personal thing, Variable boot is brilliant as is maxi dot

Have a look at a car with the Alcantara before you order, we added it & I love it, includes heated seats & leccy mirrors, If you havent seen it scroll down this thread put up by Baker21 when he detailed ours & theres a few decent pictures at the end http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=175071

Lastly get a price from drivethedeal.com & you should be able to find a dealer to match it, If you need any pointers PM me

ditto. I've got the boot floor and a 205/55 - 16 spare.

Don't get running lights - you'll just look like you don't know how to turn off your foglights.

Light assist is just a ploy to burn out your xenon bulbs quicker.

Personally I like the Light assist. :D

All points covered above, I agree the DRL's look pants but thats a personal thing, Variable boot is brilliant as is maxi dot

Have a look at a car with the Alcantara before you order, we added it & I love it, includes heated seats & leccy mirrors, If you havent seen it scroll down this thread put up by Baker21 when he detailed ours & theres a few decent pictures at the end http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=175071

Lastly get a price from drivethedeal.com & you should be able to find a dealer to match it, If you need any pointers PM me

I'll be havingf the pants DRL's on my motor lol ! I'll be over near the dealer today so may pop in to see if the motors arrived. If it has i'll take some pics of the DRL's so you can decide for yourself.

I'll be havingf the pants DRL's on my motor lol ! I'll be over near the dealer today so may pop in to see if the motors arrived. If it has i'll take some pics of the DRL's so you can decide for yourself.

Please. I am intrigued. Personally I like having fog lights - really helps with badger spotting/avoiding and would not trade for LED DRL's (I can turn on the ones in the headlights anyway).

Thanks for all that guys. I definitely need the fogs living 1300ft up in the Peak District so I will give the LEDs a miss. Sounds like the VBF and MAXIDOT are worth having though. The Alcantara sounds nice but it adds quite a lot to the cost which I can't really justify. I thought that, from what a few folk have said, that it's difficult to get anyone to move on prices after such a big reduction with the VAT free offers.

Please. I am intrigued. Personally I like having fog lights - really helps with badger spotting/avoiding and would not trade for LED DRL's (I can turn on the ones in the headlights anyway).

Just arrived back. Well we're going to havr to wait a bit longer for the pics of the DRL's Couldnt get them to come on so it looks like I was either doing something wrong or they need activating in software.

Couldnt get a decent pic either because their was a car parked close in front. I did have a good close look at them though.

It just looks like a Foglight until closer inspection. The Fog glass is still in place. Inside the unit is a cluster of 4 LED's. I'll get some pictures a week on Friday unless someone gets gets them first.

I used Drive The Deal, approached 4 Dealers and none of them would get close than £1300 dearer.

I've now gone with DtD to buy my Scout.

I had a lot like that but eventually found a couple who would match to within £100. As DTD only give 6 months tax it came out OK

Its just a case of sitting on the phone & being persistent DTD only put it through a dealer so they have the same margins to play with as your local dealers,

Edited by Stuart_J