Octavia Vrs Mk2 2006

Hello,

I have been keeping an eye on this forum for some time trying to pick up advice on buying my first Vrs.

To be honest I feel quite lost in this all and would really appreciate some buying tips for when I'm at the garage.

For the past few days I have been back and forth to a garage looking at a 2006 Octavia Vrs that is in relatively good condition. What i would like to as is Do i need to look out for anything obvious when observing the 2006 model?

I was so close to a deal the other night when looking at this Octavia, I don't really know what is stopping me either! I think one of the points was that the bumper needed a re-spray (which was going to be included in the price).

I ask the Skoda enthusiasts out there, if you went to view a 2006 Octavia at pretty average price and noticed a bumper needing re-sprayed and alloys refurbed would you walk away or keep going? The car drives superb and I had a thoroughly enjoyable time driving it. I just dont know a lot about these cars and it doesnt give me confidence trying to buy one!

Why does the bumper need respraying? General scuffs and stuff or do you suspect serious damage? Try and get the alloys refurbed too in the price!

They ended up offering a full bumper respray due to one portion of the bumper being a very dark blue where as the left "good" side was the nice metallic Blue! Where it has been resprayed by someone previously you cannot see any sort of scuffing/scratches! Its just a colour change.

How much is it ,has it got duel climate, cruise control , 18, rather than 17"" alloys, rear electric windows, jumbo box, mine has all those, and what is the mileage, and main dealer or other. This car has a Teeves 60 ABS which can fail,mine did!! so get a warranty that covers you for this. Would want wheels refurbed, cannot give any more advice till you tell a bit more about car , good luck :thumbup:

Make sure the cambelt's been done. VW/Skoda are mandating now that the camelt must be changed at 4 years old, so if it hasn't been done you'll be looking at a £3-400 bill to get it done yourself.

How much is it ,has it got duel climate, cruise control , 18, rather than 17"" alloys, rear electric windows, jumbo box, mine has all those, and what is the mileage, and main dealer or other. This car has a Teeves 60 ABS which can fail,mine did!! so get a warranty that covers you for this. Would want wheels refurbed, cannot give any more advice till you tell a bit more about car , good luck :thumbup:

Its priced at £9,400, around 32k miles on the clock. Im not sure about the Alloy size, electric windows etc. The wheel Refurb was going to be included along with the bumper respray. Does this year of car suffer from rear suspension issues?

Never heard off any ! sounds way over priced, is it main dealer, my car has £29000 on the clock and is like new ,but wouldn't get any where near that . All the extras need to be on for that price, full dealer servicing, cambelt done and paint no bad respray and warranty. You haven't said if it is main dealer DSC00039.jpg

2.0T VRS 2006 Saloon (06 is to early for a Diesel version)

Original Price £17,525

Franchised Dealer £9,565

Independent Dealer £8,915

Private Good £7,935

Private Poor £6,090

Part Exchange £6,715

Adjust for mileage and options for an accurate price.

Average mileage 40,000

Options fitted None

Edit - for that price you want it in very good condition body work and wheels, with a few extra and a good warranty imo.

What area do you live in?

Edited by Hyperviper34

There is a huge guide on here somewhere listing pretty much everything you could look for, but I can't for the life of me find it now... It was SUPER useful when I bought mine!

I paid £5600 for mine on 98k miles (spec in signature) so I do think £9400 sounds quite a lot - unless its a top top spec and has all the extras bluvrs2 mentioned.

There is a huge guide on here somewhere listing pretty much everything you could look for, but I can't for the life of me find it now... It was SUPER useful when I bought mine!

I paid £5600 for mine on 98k miles (spec in signature) so I do think £9400 sounds quite a lot - unless its a top top spec and has all the extras bluvrs2 mentioned.

That would work out about right with your milage with approx £100 per 1000 miles over the 12,000 average annual milage.

It's here: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/137484-vrs-buying-guide-please-read/

It's very thorough, though it's focused on the Mk1 (not sure if there are many significant differences). Maybe it could be updated (if it needs it) by someone more knowledgeable and added to the Octavia Technical Guides section?

It's here: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/137484-vrs-buying-guide-please-read/

It's very thorough, though it's focused on the Mk1 (not sure if there are many significant differences). Maybe it could be updated (if it needs it) by someone more knowledgeable and added to the Octavia Technical Guides section?

Not sure it's a good idea reading that little lot if you’re not buying a MK1 as the MK2 is completely different so I think it would only confuse (imo).

Never heard off any ! sounds way over priced, is it main dealer, my car has £29000 on the clock and is like new ,but wouldn't get any where near that . All the extras need to be on for that price, full dealer servicing, cambelt done and paint no bad respray and warranty. You haven't said if it is main dealer DSC00039.jpg

It does have a full service History, cambelt was recently done at the garage it is being sold at. It is not a main Skoda Dealer and is in the Cumbria area.

sounds over priced, is it Petrol or Diesel??

Its a Petrol

2.0T VRS 2006 Saloon (06 is to early for a Diesel version)

Original Price £17,525

Franchised Dealer £9,565

Independent Dealer £8,915

Private Good £7,935

Private Poor £6,090

Part Exchange £6,715

Adjust for mileage and options for an accurate price.

Average mileage 40,000

Options fitted None

Edit - for that price you want it in very good condition body work and wheels, with a few extra and a good warranty imo.

What area do you live in?

How does it compare to this I did for you?

How does it compare to this I did for you?

From what you have posted it would suggest the price of this car needs knocked down by about £500. As for optional extras i wish i had payed more attention to this in the garage and test drive. I do know it has the Xenon Headlights, Front/Rear Parking Sensors and i think something called a Jumbo Box.

My mileage wont be anything more than 8000 a year

I do know it has the Xenon Headlights, Front/Rear Parking Sensors and i think something called a Jumbo Box.

Sounds like a pretty good spec then. The 'Jumbo Box' is the armrest-y thing between the two front seats, very handy! http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166322-jumbo-box-armrest-height-adjustment/page__view__findpost__p__2028357

Sounds like a pretty good spec then. The 'Jumbo Box' is the armrest-y thing between the two front seats, very handy! http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166322-jumbo-box-armrest-height-adjustment/page__view__findpost__p__2028357

Ah i see, for the life of me without looking i could not fathom out what on earth a Jumbo Box was! We will see how it goes over the next few days, my main worry about the 2006 Mk2 Vrs was down to a Rear Suspension problem that i read on some forum i cannot remember, but it seems this is not the case from what i have gathered in previous posts.

Ah i see, for the life of me without looking i could not fathom out what on earth a Jumbo Box was! We will see how it goes over the next few days, my main worry about the 2006 Mk2 Vrs was down to a Rear Suspension problem that i read on some forum i cannot remember, but it seems this is not the case from what i have gathered in previous posts.

The only 'rear suspension' problem that I know of is related to the rear wheel alignment. Around 2006/2007 (I think) they changed the settings (try doing a search on alignment). I would have expected the car that you are looking at to have the updated settings applied to it. My March '07 car had the new settings and I never had a problem.

The result of the earlier settings was that the edges of the rear tyres wore unevenly - a sawtoothing effect. Run your hand over the edge of the tyre and you would be able to feel if there was a problem.

(Note that people have been experiencing the same problem with the FL vRS (myself included), but it seems to be emphasised by the directional Dunlops that they have been fitting).

The only 'rear suspension' problem that I know of is related to the rear wheel alignment. Around 2006/2007 (I think) they changed the settings (try doing a search on alignment). I would have expected the car that you are looking at to have the updated settings applied to it. My March '07 car had the new settings and I never had a problem.

The result of the earlier settings was that the edges of the rear tyres wore unevenly - a sawtoothing effect. Run your hand over the edge of the tyre and you would be able to feel if there was a problem.

(Note that people have been experiencing the same problem with the FL vRS (myself included), but it seems to be emphasised by the directional Dunlops that they have been fitting).

Thank You Griffo! That was the exact answer i was trying to find trawling all over the net! That has given me a lot more confidence in this car now!

Cheers to everyone for all your valued help, i have never had such welcoming comments at such a high rate in any forum before.

I shall update with anything that happens over the weekend.

Price is bang on for a dealer with that age, mileage and history ( cambelt done etc ), providing he refurbs the wheels and paints bumper. I'd try to chip him if the tyres are close to the limit or the discs/pads but other than that it sounds ok providing he tidies it up

I'd still rather pay closer to £9k flat but they arent the easiset things to come by. I paid under £9 for my 06 with 29k on earlier in the year with FSSH but it needs the cambelt doing soon-ish so £9k or thereabouts is bang on the money

I traded my 56 plate PD170 VRS Race Blue Hatch with 33k on the clock and got £8750 for it. So just over £9k would seem a reasonable mark up for a dealer.

Lol, the dealer would put a minimum of another £1500 on that for the screen price on the forecourt.