Blue Bullet DRL Version 2

Well as i said on the last thread i was still not quite happy with the look. The lights i installed still looked too Chavstyle fairy lights for me.

So i went on the hunt and found these

OEM Style DRL Clicky

Well i ordered them yesterday and they came today (being UK based is a Bonus)

Wiring and everything is Exactly the same as before so bonus that no need to rewire stuff.

These are them fitted. Ignore the holes as thats where i removed the others from and i am picking up some new grilles tomorrow.

IMG_0106.jpg

Now a pic of them Working - massive difference.

IMG_0102.jpg

And just to show by comparison the difference to the old ones

IMG_0099.jpg

So im am well chuffed. The guy who runs the company i had a chat with today and he sent me some pics of them fitted to a Porsche so if they are good enough for Porsche they are good enough for me.

Also for £45 delivered i am well impressed versus the £200+ for OEM style EACH. I've ordered another set for the Silver Slingshot which will be here tomorrow.

Comments good or bad welcome

Edited by vRSCarl

Huge improvement Carl :thumbup:

Are you coming anywhere near Lincoln in the near future ? :rofl:

And are they definitely legally OK if they don't dim with headlights ?

Edited by Brimma

The photos make it look like they are dazzling. However i was crouched right down when i took these. Once i have got them fitted with the New Grilles i will take a picture at driver level so you can see what they look like. Coincidentally My neighbour has an A5 and they are no brighter than his DRL's. Plus as they are lower they wont dazzle other drivers etc & are far enough away from Indicators to not cause a problem :thumbup:

I will do but it wont be till next week now as i have got to Spray up the New Grilles and Modify them to fit them. I have already removed and dismantled it all ready for the new grilles

Well as i said on the last thread i was still not quite happy with the look. The lights i installed still looked too Chavstyle fairy lights for me.

So i went on the hunt and found these

OEM Style DRL Clicky

Well i ordered them yesterday and they came today (being UK based is a Bonus)

Wiring and everything is Exactly the same as before so bonus that no need to rewire stuff.

These are them fitted. Ignore the holes as thats where i removed the others from and i am picking up some new grilles tomorrow.

IMG_0106.jpg

Now a pic of them Working - massive difference.

IMG_0102.jpg

And just to show by comparison the difference to the old ones

IMG_0099.jpg

So im am well chuffed. The guy who runs the company i had a chat with today and he sent me some pics of them fitted to a Porsche so if they are good enough for Porsche they are good enough for me.

Also for £45 delivered i am well impressed versus the £200+ for OEM style EACH. I've ordered another set for the Silver Slingshot which will be here tomorrow.

Comments good or bad welcome

Hi there i've got a race blue octy vrs and have toyed with the idea of fitting some DRLs. I reckon you've just convinced me!!

They look great and seem easy to fit. Nice job.

Those are 100 times better than the others :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will they fit in the same slot in the new grilles?

No they are slightly bigger. I have butchered the current grilles to get the position i want.

Once i get the new grilles and the new set of DRL (as these are now fitted to my other Octy) i will do another tutorial on how to modify the grilles

That looks excellent. Delighted you posted this now. i'm going to get a set too.

what's the part number or the spare grill parts so i can get these also.

any chance you could also get a good close up pic of it.

thanks again, Colin

1Z0 853 665A and 1Z0 853 666A, just under 4 quid each so cheap as chips. :thumbup:

Not quite.

Part no's are: 1Z0 853 665A 9B9 and 1Z0 853 666A 9B9 for the vRS end grilles.

9B9 indicates the colour code. Why I don't know as they don't come in any other colour except black but if you don't give the 9B9 the dealer will ask for it as the system doesn't let them order the part without it.

Not quite.

Part no's are: 1Z0 853 665A 9B9 and 1Z0 853 666A 9B9 for the vRS end grilles.

9B9 indicates the colour code. Why I don't know as they don't come in any other colour except black but if you don't give the 9B9 the dealer will ask for it as the system doesn't let them order the part without it.

Thats because dealers are rubbish!! try TPS in Canterbury, I just gave them my reg number and the first part of the code, £3.93 each inc vat..........simples. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Thanks again, Carl. I've followed your lead an installed them on mine too :thumbup:

DSC_0001.JPG

and they dim when the sidelights are on (can be dimmed by either the sidelights or the headlamps depending on which wire the yellow DRL wire is spliced in to)

DSC_0006.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good Dave :thumbup:

Saw the thread on MK5 as well

I might alter mine as i like the way they dim with the headlights (mine don't at the moment)

TBH, the light had faded when I was testing everything out and I found the undimmed DRLs to be a bit harsh in the dark even when the headlamps were lit. Just my opinion really but I will stick with the dimmed DRLs for evening when the sidelights are lit (or maybe DRLs off if I can work it out) rather than disconnecting the yellow wire and having them on full power all the time.

I may play around some more with the multimeter but it is now clear to me that I need to leave the headlamp unit connected to the wiring loom and test voltages by removing the plastic cover at the back of the lamp unit and prodding the connections to the bulbs with the engine running :smirk:

Anyways, the DRLs dim with the sidelights when the yellow DRL wire is spliced in to the grey/black at the position marked as #10 on the connector and they dim with the headlamps when spliced into the yellow/black at #6

All in all, I am well-chuffed with them :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Hi, where exactly are these wired up to and are they switched on/off with the ignition or light switch? any pics/info would be awesome cheers!!

I have them on mine, negative goes to - side of the battery terminal, positive goes to (iirc) position 1 on the headlight plug, the yellow (controller wire) goes to 17 (I will need to confirm that). They come on with the ignition, stay on with sidelights but go out when dipped beam is turned on.

HTH, Lee.

I have them on mine, negative goes to - side of the battery terminal, positive goes to (iirc) position 1 on the headlight plug, the yellow (controller wire) goes to 17 (I will need to confirm that). They come on with the ignition, stay on with sidelights but go out when dipped beam is turned on.

HTH, Lee.

:S :S :S its so easy when u know how ?