Fitting a Evoshield inlet gasket

As title suggests,

Fitting over the weekend. Anyone fitted one and if so what bits need to come of the manifold to get to the bolts.

Looks like I need to remove the injector rail, hopefully do that in one piece. Is there enough space to leave throttle and pipes connected to get to bolts and replace gaskets?

Anyone got original fitting instructions for the gasket

cheers for any answers

Mark.

Edited by Bowders1

You don't need to remove any of the fuel hoses - you just undo the fuel rail bolts and pull the injectors out of the manifold.

You may have trouble reattaching the manifold support bracket due to the increased gasket thickness. I ran my Golf GTI without the bracket for over 60k miles without it and it was fine.

it is pretty simple but not easy. Make sure you have decent long reach allen/hex sockets, extensions and a u-joint.

You don't need to remove any of the fuel hoses - you just undo the fuel rail bolts and pull the injectors out of the manifold.

You may have trouble reattaching the manifold support bracket due to the increased gasket thickness. I ran my Golf GTI without the bracket for over 60k miles without it and it was fine.

it is pretty simple but not easy. Make sure you have decent long reach allen/hex sockets, extensions and a u-joint.

Cheers buddy , that helps me out.

btw how is the blue flame exhaust?

BlueFlame is great, no issue with it all. Are you asking coz you are getting one??

I've got a Newsouth one and I can't attach the support bracket.

Cheers, I think the evo shield comes with a modded bracket if you buy them new but i did'nt so guess i will leave the standard one off.

Mark

Ok folks had a go at fitting this at the weekend

After checking out a few sites I decided to how a go myself.

Fitting was reasonably ok.

These are the parts I fitted

largeport-evoshield.jpg

A Evosheild phenolic heat insulating gasket

More info in the part and users that fitted it can be found here http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46143

I was looking at a way to reduce inlet temps and this looked like it fitted the bill.

First i removed the lower engine cover

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket001.jpg

followed by the metal bracket that used to hold the N112, N249 valve and piping(removed that stuff previously)

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket002.jpg

Then the dipstick tube(easy to break unless it has been recently replaced)

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket003.jpg

Then you need to unplug injector sensors and unclip the plastic wiring from fuel rail, remove the Fuel Rail tube(one of the bolts can be seen in pic below), injectors to get to the Inlet manifold bolts and also remove the FPR tubing.

I also took off the Intercooler pipe at the throttle end and the large pipe on the right side of the manifold. This was to allow the manifold to be pulled away from the head to allow fitting of the thicker gasket. I guess you can remove the whole manifold to get better access but I chose this way and did not have lots of time.

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket005.jpg

This pic shows the fuel rail moved to one side with FPR and injectors still connected.

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket006.jpg

Here you can see the inlet manifold bolts that need removing

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket007.jpg

Now you need have a helper hold the inlet manifold out from the head, then remove old gasket and replace with new standard gasket. Then fit the Evosheild Gasket and lastly the second standard gasket so you have a seal either side.

Now you fit the larger bolts (to compensate for the thicker gasket)

Pic shows the difference between them

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket010.jpg

You can just see all the gaskets in place

EvoshieldInletManifoldGasket011.jpg

Refit the parts you removed and job done.

Starting the car is a little strange as you need to let the fuel pressure build up. Took me 4 attempts to start and it was a little lumpy until fuel finally built up pressure. Me thinks a uprated fuel pump is next on the list.

Initial testing seems very good, the inlet manifold was cold to the touch after a spirited run. Need to get more testing and will try and log temps when I get some time.

hope this is of interest ..

Edited by Bowders1

Thanks for the detailed guide Bowders, some inlet temp logs would be good, my mate was looking at one of Bills gaskets earlier this year but went for a FMIC instead, thinking I might persuade him to get one of these as well if the temps are low enough :thumbup:

Any issues with the inlet manifold fouling anything now it's sticking out a bit further?

Might need some help getting to the controllers to read the logs, not used VAGCOM for some time now emoticon-0136-giggle.gif Sure someone will point me in the direction.

I was thinking what with the FMIC these gaskets would be a waste, but you still get heat soak with a FMIC especally at tickover, it is really strange to feel a cool manifold after driving.

No issues with anything fooling. At a guess the manifold is 1/4 inch further out. My motor did not have the manifold support bracket attached (apparently there is a support bracket on OEM manifolds) so car may have had some work done before in that area., but if you buy the Evosheild gasket brand new i think you get a longer bracket to support block to manifold for stronger support to accomadte the manifold sticking out further.

I was thinking what with the FMIC these gaskets would be a waste, but you still get heat soak with a FMIC especally at tickover, it is really strange to feel a cool manifold after driving.

Yep, it seems a bit of a waste to fit a FMIC when the cooled boost is having to go through a red hot manifold before it gets into the cylinders. My friend has a Forge FMIC same as you so would be great to see how cool inlet air temps are with the combination of FMIC and gasket.

if you buy the Evosheild gasket brand new i think you get a longer bracket to support block to manifold for stronger support to accomadte the manifold sticking out further.

That's very decent of them... I take it it's still about £80 new?

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

The manifold does get hot lol

I've rested my elbow on it a few times before now, didn't leave it there long though lol

I'll peel this of into the guides section along with the others when I get a chance.:thumbup:

The manifold does get hot lol

I've rested my elbow on it a few times before now, didn't leave it there long though lol

I'll peel this of into the guides section along with the others when I get a chance.:thumbup:

cheers appreciate that

It does get hot but over time, if you check it immediatley after switching off it is much cooler than before, then over time it appears to release the heat, and yes does get hot.

Edited by Bowders1

BlueFlame is great, no issue with it all. Are you asking coz you are getting one??

Mark

Yes I was, but I went ahead and made an order for my VRS (Mk 2 TSI) and a Leon Cupra.

I miss the 1.8T though, I know them like the back of my hand :) wish I could say the same about the new TSI...