Coil pack cabling looking messy?

That's looking tidy.emoticon-0148-yes.gif Do the holes to bolt it down line up? My wiring looks scruffy few repairs have been made to the coil pack loom, have just ordered a replacement loom having seen one ECS Tuning site, pick it up Tuesday, may order one of these now for the finishing touch. Wonder if they protect the wiring from the heat.

That's looking tidy.emoticon-0148-yes.gif Do the holes to bolt it down line up? My wiring looks scruffy few repairs have been made to the coil pack loom, have just ordered a replacement loom having seen one ECS Tuning site, pick it up Tuesday, may order one of these now for the finishing touch. Wonder if they protect the wiring from the heat.

The holes don't line up, no. The left-hand one nearly does. the other is nowhere near. So I chopped the tabs off.

How difficult is it to remove a coilpack with that fitted though Rob?

You'd have to unplug all of them to enable the plug to slide off. So a bit more fiddly. But how often do you change coilpacks? I don't think it's too much of a hassle.

The holes don't line up, no. The left-hand one nearly does. the other is nowhere near. So I chopped the tabs off.

Oh well can't have everything, still looks cool thoughemoticon-0148-yes.gif going too price one up on Tuesday when i go and collect my bits i've got on order.

Very nice Rob. Finnishes the wiring off well, Where do you get these little gems from.....

Only thing i may see issue to is the heat possibly melting that? I fitted the audi heat sheild to stop the coil pack wires getting too hot so don't think i can fit that conduit and the heat sheild together.

Very nice Rob. Finnishes the wiring off well, Where do you get these little gems from.....

Only thing i may see issue to is the heat possibly melting that? I fitted the audi heat sheild to stop the coil pack wires getting too hot so don't think i can fit that conduit and the heat sheild together.

That one came from a build thread I was reading on VWVortex. Time will tell I guess on the heat. It looks and feels like the same plastic used for the standard tray that sits right on top of the metal cover and that stands up well to the heat.

I fitted the audi heat sheild to stop the coil pack wires getting too hot so don't think i can fit that conduit and the heat sheild together.

What is the Audi heat shield like? Any pics?

What is the Audi heat shield like? Any pics?

It is a heat shield that is folded over the coil pack wiring and clipped together with poppers. The wiring becomes hot from the turbo side and can cause the insulation to harden and crack and then cause arcing on the cover and lead to misfire and coil pack giving way. A few members have had this and mine showed sign of cracking insulation. I purchased it direct from Audi(have P/N somewhere) at around £18 quid. It is standard on Audi 1.8t motors. So they must be aware of it.

Here is a pic with it fitted to over the coilpack wiring(will post a close up one later)

VRSWRCSpoiler013.jpg

It is a heat shield that is folded over the coil pack wiring and clipped together with poppers. The wiring becomes hot from the turbo side and can cause the insulation to harden and crack and then cause arcing on the cover and lead to misfire and coil pack giving way. A few members have had this and mine showed sign of cracking insulation. I purchased it direct from Audi(have P/N somewhere) at around £18 quid. It is standard on Audi 1.8t motors. So they must be aware of it.

Think I might go for this Audi heat shield, can you post up the partnumber if you find it please?

That looks so much neater. I'm now torn between doing this mod or sticking with the original plan of carbon fibre heat shield. Oh just had a brain splurt, do both!

When I got finished work yesterday I popped in to local vw. Gave them the part number & these are on a few cars. Toureg, new rocco etc so I ordered & price is around £6 not sure if thats plus vat. Part lands tomorrow so will let you guys know.

• 1 year later...