Fabia 03 Radio removal

Hello again...

I gave my old fabia SDI to my youngest lad. I had a problem with the left speaker of the radio for a good while. The sound went on and off and by the time I gave the car to him, the left speaker was mostly off. I noticed that if I pressed hard on the front of the radio the speaker would come on momentarily. Now the problem is affecting both speakers, so he has an entirely useless radio. Pressing the front panel near the volume knob will make the radio come on on the right hand channel momentarily.

I think the problem is likely to be the plugs which connect to the speaker lines on the back of the radio, but I can't see how to remove the radio at all. There are a couple of small slots either side of the front panel that might free some catches if something was pushed in, maybe that's how the radio comes out, but I don't want to shove anything in blindly...

How does it come out please??

Cheers and thanks in advance for your input if you can help.

You will probably need to nip to Halfords and get some of the 'audio release' tools, ask them which ones fit the Skoda Fabia. Check the cables are plugged right in. If the cables are fully plugged in when you remove it, it will most likely be dead solder. If it is dead solder, I'd recommend taking it to a car-entertainment shop to fix it, or if you're confident in soldering then you could easily do it. My car is older than your sons and it tooks less than 10 seconds for the Halfords 'engineer' to remove the stereo head. (note: most aren't true engineers, just trained stereo fitters)

You will probably need to nip to Halfords and get some of the 'audio release' tools, ask them which ones fit the Skoda Fabia. Check the cables are plugged right in. If the cables are fully plugged in when you remove it, it will most likely be dead solder. If it is dead solder, I'd recommend taking it to a car-entertainment shop to fix it, or if you're confident in soldering then you could easily do it. My car is older than your sons and it tooks less than 10 seconds for the Halfords 'engineer' to remove the stereo head. (note: most aren't true engineers, just trained stereo fitters)

Hey - thanks for that Fabiainfallible. Great info and in double quick time. I have shown him your reply and now he can go off and sort it out himself.

Thanks again....

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a junior hacksaw all you need to do is snap an old blade in half and push a bit into each of the slots to release the radion - takes a matter of seconds to pulll it out that way :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The Kenwood keys are fine - I tried using hacksaw blades but you have to be very careful not to damage the plastic around the holes which use of proper keys obviates being a risk.