Door seal squeak noise

I'm driving a Mk2 Octy (1.9 TDI, early 2008), and generally speaking, it's a nice car.

The only trouble I'm having is with the door seals - whenever I'm going over a speed bump, or just going up the pavement for parking (ie. when the car body is under some torsion stress), I hear a squeaking noise coming from all four door seals. It's like the doors are rubbing their metal surfaces around on the fixed rubber seals.

My problem is that I know quite a lot of people with the same type of car, but almost noone is complaining about the same issue (and while I'm sitting in their cars, I don't hear a sound from the seals alright).

I'm starting to think my car is falling apart, and the weldings are getting weaker, though I know that would be almost impossible...

Is it only me?

Loads of post on here if you search - rub all rubber seals. inner and outer with a silicon based lubricant, needs doing every year - kills the squeak dead

Loads of post on here if you search - rub all rubber seals. inner and outer with a silicon based lubricant, needs doing every year - kills the squeak dead

Hi

I tried searching, however couldn't find any posts.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll see what I can do about it.

Cheers

My 2005 FSi was a bit of a pain for seal noise - eventually had them changed under warranty (not a lot of difference). But My 2008 TSi has no squeaks at all. Seems to be pot luck but I gather the design was changed some time back and that is supposed to have helped.

I'd recommend you use Krytox on your rubber seals.

My last car was a cabrio and that was the best stuff. Not cheap, but it lasts longer than the Autoglym (which I used before that).

You could try complaining to your dealer or Skoda UK customer care. I had the same problem on my June 2008 car and started to complain about it when the car was 6 months old. Even though the dealer and Skoda UK said they were not aware of a problem there were quite a number of owners on this forum that have experienced the same thing.

After several visits and much complaining I eventually had the seals replaced under warranty and the problem has not returned since (about 18 months now).

If you are considering going to the dealer I wouldn't mention that you've tried anything yourself to try and remedy it, as one dealer told me that I'd invalidated the warranty by putting some silicon grease on them, even though this was after they had agreed to replace them and I was awaiting delivery of the parts. I took it to another dealer who attempted to cure it by applying silicon grease to them!!!

It seems that it affects cars made around June 2008, and one dealer told me it was worse on estates.

• 7 years later...

HAd my four year old rapid for a week now, door creaks we're getting on my nerves, would always happen at lower speeds when manoeuvring (body flex). Saw this post and applied olive oil to the inner door seals just as a test before buying anything else. Worked great, no creaking. 

I use GUMMI PFLEGE STIFT which not only stops the squeaks but has a UV filter and also protects the rubber from rain and other causes of ageing of the rubber.

Comes in a small container with a foam applicator built in so it is quick to apply.

I bought it after numerous past posts on here recommended it and from the UK you can buy it on line from Micks' Garage in Ireland. I must say that there is no sign of hardening of the rubber yet nor of the rubber going grey, Only downside is that if you put too much on you may get a streak on the paintwork until your next wash.

Yeah I'll have a look. Turns out it was more the felt lip around the windows that were rubbing against the door frame, you can recreate the sound hi gently pushing on the windows from the outside. I applied auto glym tyre dressing gel to the inside of the door frame which solved it.