1.2 TSI DSG Elegance pauses when changing gear

philisa1

I've got a 1.2 TSI DSG Elegance (auto).

Has anyone else noticed that when you slow down to maybe second gear when approaching a roundaboud that if you put your foot down to go there is a slight pause?

It worried me the other day. I was coming to a roundabout and slowed down, I then put my foot down and there seemed to be no acceleration until a split second later when it suddenly shot off having put my foot down on the accelerator even further.

It may only be a split second but there were cars already coming around the roundabout to my right and it gave me a scare that they were actually get close to me.

Considering it's a DSG, which to me means it switches gears quicker and smoother, I find myself pretty much coming to a stop before I can actually attempt to go when at a roundabout.

I had an automatic Corsa for 10 years previously an never had an issue like this.

Just wondering if anyone is having this issue or is it a fault with my Snow Monster.

Aside from that I love my SM.

Edited by philisa1

Hi!

I have noticed the same thing with my SM (1700 miles and 4 weeks). When starting from a standstill, or from almost standstill the gearbox and clutches hesitate before they decide what to to. I guess this has to do with the fact that the DSG is really a standard gearbox with 2 separate clutches as opposed to traditional auto transmissions with the torque converter and the lot...

Almost the same description as I posted in the Fabia forum:

Is this normal?

The problem is as you slow for a corner with the box in drive the revs drop to <1500rpm. It keeps it in as high a gear as possible to maintain economy so, when you put you foot back down, you are off turbo. There is a significant delay before it picks up or if you want it to get a wriggle on (like if you are turning right across on-coming traffic) you give it some more pedal and then when it doesn't feel lke it's responding, even more pedal by which time it has dropped a cog or two and you scream across the road, wheels trying to spin, traction control cutting in. I know this is the sort of thing that catches out every DSG owner at first and you modify your driving to allow for it but it is such an issue that I'm wondering if something is wrong. I can get around this by driving in sport mode which keeps it on turbo even when you're pottering so as you slow for a junction it drops it a gear and it stays above 1500rpm so you get a proper response. If I'd wanted to change gear (or D to S) for junctions I'd have bought a manual.

I think it's turbo lag but it seems quite severe at times

Nope its not turbo lag, but you are close ;)

Its a common fault with the new 7 speed DSG gearbox.

The car pulls the clutch in or rather goes into neutral at slow speeds and low rpm's without telling you, for all you know you are in 3rd gear but the gearbox isnt really in 3rd at all.

So when you plant your foot down, there is a pause while the computer rushs to engage the clutch and select the right gear.

The older 6 speed DSG didnt do this, this is because the 7 speed was designed for economy not speed.

APR tuning in the usa did logs on the gearbox and discovered this by accident, its on the golfmk6 forums somewhere.

Apprently on the 1.4tsi twincharge engine with 7 speed DSG (on the fabia RS, seat cupra and golf tsi) you can almost eliminate this with a remap.

Nobody i know has done a 1.2tsi remap yet, i will and im hoping it gets rid of this problem..........

Nope its not turbo lag, but you are close ;)

The car pulls the clutch in or rather goes into neutral at slow speeds and low rpm's without telling you, for all you know you are in 3rd gear but the gearbox isnt really in 3rd at all.

So when you plant your foot down, there is a pause while the computer rushs to engage the clutch and select the right gear.

The older 6 speed DSG didnt do this, this is because the 7 speed was designed for economy not speed.

APR tuning in the usa did logs on the gearbox and discovered this by accident, its on the golfmk6 forums somewhere.

Apprently on the 1.4tsi twincharge engine with 7 speed DSG (on the fabia RS, seat cupra and golf tsi) you can almost eliminate this with a remap.

Nobody i know has done a 1.2tsi remap yet, i will and im hoping it gets rid of this problem..........

Thanks for that. That's interesting I may ask the dealer about it and I'll post this in the Fabia forum too

Nope its not turbo lag, but you are close emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I have a different view on this. The whole point of a dual clutch gearbox is that it has two clutches. Thus when the accelerometer and other sensors in the car detects that you are slowing down the second clutch will have selected 2nd gear when you are still in 3rd gear. But if you then decide to do the opposite and accelerate again the gearbox has to undo 2nd gear very quickly and select 4th. Hence the delay.

I have a different view on this. The whole point of a dual clutch gearbox is that it has two clutches. Thus when the accelerometer and other sensors in the car detects that you are slowing down the second clutch will have selected 2nd gear when you are still in 3rd gear. But if you then decide to do the opposite and accelerate again the gearbox has to undo 2nd gear very quickly and select 4th. Hence the delay.

I tend to agree. My old 6 speed DSG Golf did exactly the same- it is one of the drawbacks of DSG- it is not telepathic! You do get used to it though.

I understand the principles of the twin clutch arrangement and am aware of the pre-selection of gears but the lag involved is not inconsiderable and surely it should just pick back up in your current gear. The time involved is a couple of seconds. If you were in a manual you wouldn't consider it a stutter, more like the engine had died and recovered. It is quite alarming at times. Also I'm finding if you come off the throttle in flowing traffic and then ease back on , gently, it still seems to jar as it takes up the drive. I'm thinking a trip to the dealer to plug it in to investigate if there is something wrong may be in order

Edited by Fatbloke

I've got a 1.2 TSI DSG Elegance (auto). Has anyone else noticed that when you slow down to maybe second gear when approaching a roundaboud that if you put your foot down to go there is a slight pause? It worried me the other day. I was coming to a roundabout and slowed down, I then put my foot down and there seemed to be no acceleration until a split second later when it suddenly shot off having put my foot down on the accelerator even further. It may only be a split second but there were cars already coming around the roundabout to my right and it gave me a scare that they were actually get close to me. Considering it's a DSG, which to me means it switches gears quicker and smoother, I find myself pretty much coming to a stop before I can actually attempt to go when at a roundabout. I had an automatic Corsa for 10 years previously an never had an issue like this. Just wondering if anyone is having this issue or is it a fault with my Snow Monster. Aside from that I love my SM.
<BR>I'm relieved to learn I'm not the only one! I've come from a Mercedes A Class CVT which is not the same at all. It never gave me a moment's concern and therefore I'm finding this phenomenon quite unnerving. I don'r really understand what a gearbox remap is, but if it stops this happening I might well be up for one. Look forward to hearing about results. Edited by Franco

I tend to agree. My old 6 speed DSG Golf did exactly the same- it is one of the drawbacks of DSG- it is not telepathic! You do get used to it though.

Well, I guess VW should start working on triple clutch DSG then... Now try to surprise that gearbox with your decisions. :giggle:

One comment not to scare any potential DSG customers away:

Other than this thing with almost standstills the gearbox is AWESOME :thumbup::thumbup: .

When riding as a passenger it's almost impossible to notice the gear changes whether it's changing up or down - and it always seems to have the right gear for the occasion. I even noticed than when driving with the cruise control engaged it changes down to at least 5th if the speed is increasing too much in downhill stretches. I'm verry happy with the performance of the gearbox and would not want to have a manual any more!!

One happy DSG owner