VRS and Maxidot

I keep seeing lots of people have been ordering Maxidots on their VRSs on here.

I didn't order this as the brochure (06/10) says the VRS comes with a "trip computer" as standard. Is that the Maxidot as standard?

If not what's the difference in functionality between the standard trip and the Maxidot. Really keen to know....

Maxidot is not the same as the trip computer. The trip computer is an LCD display that gives information on consumption, outside temp etc. The Maxidot screen is a screen made up of lots of dots (hence the name) and this gives all the information of the trip computer and more. hence you get oil temp as well, a nice little graphic showing which door is open on the car, if you have sat nav directions get sent to it as well. It also gives you access to be able to change some features of the car. Hence you can turn the anti hijack feature on/off, turn on/off the follow me home lights and change alarm settings.

OK...I think. Are you saying those features (alarm etc) can't be changed if you don't have the Maxidot?

I keep seeing lots of people have been ordering Maxidots on their VRSs on here.

I didn't order this as the brochure (06/10) says the VRS comes with a "trip computer" as standard. Is that the Maxidot as standard?

If not what's the difference in functionality between the standard trip and the Maxidot. Really keen to know....

Juan: Can I suggest you have a thorough search on here mate, there is lots (and lots !) of info re this...

Well to be honest I just assumed the "trip computer" was the maxidot, since no other model of octavia seems to have a different "trip computer". Brochure doesn't really give much info and the handbook never talks about the maxidot by name....

I'll see if I can still get it I think, car not getting built til Sept.

I didn't know what maxidot was when I specced my first vRS but decided it was a definite must when I got my second one. :thumbup:

Genuinely interested in why? Once you've got the settings how you like through the dealer ( or vagcom) how many times do you change them? The satnav is useless as it doesnt take a full postcode so unless you spec a useless satnav the feature of satnav directions in maxidot wont appear which leaves you with what door's open and oil temp display unless i'm missing something amazing thats worth £450 or however much it costs?

Genuinely interested in why? Once you've got the settings how you like through the dealer ( or vagcom) how many times do you change them? The satnav is useless as it doesnt take a full postcode so unless you spec a useless satnav the feature of satnav directions in maxidot wont appear which leaves you with what door's open and oil temp display unless i'm missing something amazing thats worth £450 or however much it costs?

I think it's only about £125 so won't break the bank. VCDS is a lot more and a couple of dealer visits will also be around that sort of price. I do believe that a full postcode facility will be available later this year on the Columbus (about time), but what it does show makes the directions easier to follow.

Neither of the two dealers I have dealt with managed to get my car programming correct so each visit back to them entails time/trouble to sort it out whereas setting up little things such as auto window shutting and which doors to unlock etc is something that's easily sorted. The more options you have fitted on your car then the more the maxidot is configurable.

IMO Maxidot is worth having just because it makes the dash look classy....

It's the same size on the FL cars so doesn't make that much difference. I'd rather have Kate Moss in the passenger seat (ooo er vicar) as she would not only make the car look classy but would be able to map read if you didn't spec the Columbus.

P.S. If SWMBO reads this then I'm only joking about the last bit.

I didnt know it was as cheap as £125, I stand corrected, can see it being more of a choice now, for me i'd save the pennies on a new one but at that price i guess its going to be popular with those not hell bent on saving the pennies

Maxidot is only £110.64 after allowing tor the vat-free discount. I specified it for my new vRS and I'd say it's well worth the money. Apart from being able to fiddle with a few more settings, it also looks good - finishing the instrument cluster off very nicely.

One other advantage is that you need Maxidot fitted if you ever want to install a factory bluetooth kit, as it displays phone numbers etc. and this can't be done on the regular trip meter.

It can be retro fitted, but I seem to remember it comes as part of the instrument pack and so is expensive.

It's a worth while option in my mind, though it must be the least promoted option in the Octavia brochure!

One other advantage is that you need Maxidot fitted if you ever want to install a factory bluetooth kit, as it displays phone numbers etc. and this can't be done on the regular trip meter.

It can be retro fitted, but I seem to remember it comes as part of the instrument pack and so is expensive.

It's a worth while option in my mind, though it must be the least promoted option in the Octavia brochure!

Completely agree about the brochure. It not only doesn't promote the Maxidot, it doesn't even tell you what it

is properly.

Completely agree about the brochure. It not only doesn't promote the Maxidot, it doesn't even tell you what it

is properly.

Skoda do have an unusual approach to marketing. Maxidot says nothing really which is why so many posts touch on it in this forum.

VW at least call it a "Multifunction computer Highline, including additional vehicle set-up functionality", It does what it says on the tin,

Juan

Do a search for a post with VCDS , in tis post there is a list of 12 possible functions that can be controlled via Maxidot, i.e you dont have to get the dealer to mess around with.

I found this info useful when i ordered my car, but am not sure if the list is up to date for the fl cars