DSG on Octy II

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf GTi has the paddles....Plato's test car had them (5TH Gear)....don't know if these are optional though.

GTi with DSG is quicker to 62mph and a litte more economical..I doubt then that a diesel Octy with DSG would be slower or less economical than it's manual sibling.

Mercs have tiptronic box which move side to side IIRC.....sounds rather odd but my mate reckons it's ok.

Would definately consider DSG if it were an option on the next Octy RS.

Also...block shifting...isn't this short shifting? I always thought short shifting was used for cars with loads of torque. :confused:

Must admit I looked in the New Octavia brochure last night. Has the 1.9 Tdi PD, 1.9 Tdi DSG, and 2.0 Tdi PD listed in the techinical table, but not the 2.0 Tdi DSG.

Anyway, for the 1.9 Tdi the CO2 emissions were 143, whereas for the DSG version they were 162 (Except on another page where it said they were both 143???), and for acceleration and top speed, the non-DSG was something like 11.9 and 119, and the DSG was 12.2 and 117 - so slower on both accounts.

Why there was differing information about the CO2 emissions (Important for someone like me considering it as a company car), and why the 2.0 Tdi DSG wasn't listed I don't know (The brochure is from October this year) - but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the car, when they can't even be consistent in the brochure! (First impressions and all that)

Stevo

P.S. If you look at the Skoda web site now, the CO2 emissions for the 2.0 Tdi PD are 159, and for the DSG version 172 (Which is pretty high for a diesel). It still worries me though that on the 2.0 Tdi DSG hardly any of the figures are published (Shown as 0), whereas on the 2.0 FSI most of the data is classed as "Data Not Available". Another classic piece of inconsistency.

P.P.S Am I being picky?!

Must admit I looked in the New Octavia brochure last night. Has the 1.9 Tdi PD' date=' 1.9 Tdi DSG, and 2.0 Tdi PD listed in the techinical table, but not the 2.0 Tdi DSG.

Anyway, for the 1.9 Tdi the CO2 emissions were 143, whereas for the DSG version they were 162 (Except on another page where it said they were both 143???), and for acceleration and top speed, the non-DSG was something like 11.9 and 119, and the DSG was 12.2 and 117 - so slower on both accounts.

Why there was differing information about the CO2 emissions (Important for someone like me considering it as a company car), and why the 2.0 Tdi DSG wasn't listed I don't know (The brochure is from October this year) - but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the car, when they can't even be consistent in the brochure! (First impressions and all that)

Stevo

P.S. If you look at the Skoda web site now, the CO2 emissions for the 2.0 Tdi PD are 159, and for the DSG version 172 (Which is pretty high for a diesel). It still worries me though that on the 2.0 Tdi DSG hardly any of the figures are published (Shown as 0), whereas on the 2.0 FSI most of the data is classed as "Data Not Available". Another classic piece of inconsistency.

P.P.S Am I being picky?![/quote']

I think the only thing we can be sure of is it's all a hell of a muddle! :confused: I've just looked at the Octy II price list again (not a company car so emissions only affect me as far as how green I'm feeling and how much road tax I pay). I notice that the 2.0TDI manual is listed as VED band B and 159g CO2/km, but the DSG is still TBC - although they've put it in band C. Seems the only way we'll know for sure is if I check the tax disc when I pick mine up in Feb!!

As far as the performance is concerned this also seems to be a muddle. VW seem to be quoting the DSG as faster to 60 than a manual, where Skoda seem not so sure. As I said earlier, the figures quoted in the brochure for the Octy II estate have the acceleration and top speed as identical, but lots of people are finding evidence that Skoda think the DSG is slower. Personally I can't see how it could be slower when you've effectively got a manual box which can change gear much faster than a human, so I'm believing VW on this one.

My theory is that Skoda UK published all the brochures and so on for the hatchback before they had any idea what the DSG gearbox was or what it did - inspires confidence doesn't it! :D

Been having a trawl round the internet - looking at VW and Audi - in the hope that they can shed some light on the DSG issue. Found this:

VW Golf 2.0 TDI

Manual (DSG)

CO2(g/km) 154 (165)

Max. Speed 126 (125)

0-60 9.3 (9.3)

MPG (combined) 49.6 (46.3)

Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Manual (DSG)

CO2(g/km) 148 (154)

Max. Speed 129 (133)

0-60 9.5 (9.2)

MPG (combined) 50.4 (48.7)

So, clear as mud then :) . It seems there is a price to pay in terms of CO2 and fuel economy if you go for the DSG, but the performance is much of a muchness.

• 1 year later...

I've just joined these forums to check for others with DSG problems. Mine's just been off the road for a month waiting for a new mechatronics unit (gearbox brain) after bowing out ungracefully at 70ish on the M25. I got it back a couple of weeks ago, but there are warning lights all over the place now, with engine cutting out & it's gone back to the dealership again this morning.

I suspect it's just a bad'un - the 3 recovery people I've spoken to reckon they see few skodas to pickup, and it was the first DSG that'd thrown a fault.

(mine's done about 14k miles - I picked it up second hand with 8k on the clock about 9 months ago - so maybe it had a history already :-( )