Chrome tailpipe cleaning

2SkodaFamily

Hi,

I've bought some Autosol and fine wire wool from Halfords for cleaning my chrome exhaust. Before I dive in and completely fork it up, thought I would check in here on the process.

I imagine that the first step is to wash as normal to get the surface crud off, then? I assume that you use the wire wool lightly with a little water, then dry and buff up with the Autosol?

Or do you use the Autosol with the wire wool?

Hoping to do some cleaning up while swmbo is out for the evening!

Thanks,

Martin

Hi,

I've bought some Autosol and fine wire wool from Halfords for cleaning my chrome exhaust. Before I dive in and completely fork it up, thought I would check in here on the process.

I imagine that the first step is to wash as normal to get the surface crud off, then? I assume that you use the wire wool lightly with a little water, then dry and buff up with the Autosol?

Thanks,

Martin

I get most of It off with Autosol first as sometimes I may not need the wire wool. Then I use the wire wool If the dirt Is ingrained, but I spray some last touch on to give some lubrication to help against scratching, then wipe down & go over again with Autosol to polish It up.

Hi,

Thanks,

Martin

You may not need to use the wire wool, depends on how dirty the pipe(s) are.

Wash as normal then try the autosol with something like a pieve of cotton stockinette or similar. If they are still dirty put a blob of autosol on the wire wool and off you go.

I would also recommend using some vinyl/latex/marigold gloves if you have some as getting the dirt/soot/carbon off your hands afterwards is an absolute nightmare.

enjoy!

Had a bit of a go this evening, wash then autosol on the wire wool. Made quite a difference but still quite smeggy. I think I'll just have to keep chipping away at it.

Can I get pictures to appear in the post (as opposed to just putting a link in) or do I need to be Freedom for that?

Had a bit of a go this evening, wash then autosol on the wire wool. Made quite a difference but still quite smeggy. I think I'll just have to keep chipping away at it.

Can I get pictures to appear in the post (as opposed to just putting a link in) or do I need to be Freedom for that?

You need to sign up to a photo hosting website (Photobucket or something) then copy the IMG code and paste into your post. :thumbup:

You need to sign up to a photo hosting website (Photobucket or something) then copy the IMG code and paste into your post. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Whenever I do that (having uploaded the photo to photobucket) I get a message "You cannot use that image extension on this board". I think I must be doing something wrong. emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Whenever I do that (having uploaded the photo to photobucket) I get a message "You cannot use that image extension on this board". I think I must be doing something wrong. emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Hmm :wonder: ...Have you tried attaching the image instead?

Hi,

use the direct link option in photobucket and then the insert image button in the post editor - just done it in my post

I noticed last night you can the the tailpipe and a length of piping off eBay brand new for £26 which you would have to weld onto your existing backbox. I was wondering if this would be worth doing to tidy my Octavia up.

My Vrs being ex police has not been cared for in terms of detailing and the exhaust has thick crusts of soot that im not confident autosol will remove, i'm planning to tackle it at the weekend anyway.

• 2 weeks later...