Octavia VRS ....Rust?

As per the title, just been browsing eBay sussing out what bits and bobs are supposed to be on my car and what isn't as it still seems to have a few left over bits from the police fitted, such as a round button either side of the centre console where the gearstick is??

Anyway i noticed a couple of Octavia's have a few bits of rust, my car has none that i know of and i was wondering if there are common areas which i could treat now to avoid future problems, i think i've found a car i'd like to keep for a few years with the VRS so want to look after it.

Jon

Mine has started on the bottom of the wheel arches. mud builds up behind the plastic liner, and wears the paint away. I try to wash it out every 6 months or so.

Also, the subframe etc seems to rust. Bit of hammerite fixes it though!

Mine has started on the bottom of the wheel arches. mud builds up behind the plastic liner, and wears the paint away. I try to wash it out every 6 months or so.

Also, the subframe etc seems to rust. Bit of hammerite fixes it though!

John,

If you have mudflaps fitted, take them off once a year ( just after the winter crud is best and clear the area out behind them, acts as a mudtrap and although never had any rust that is a prime place for it to start.

When I was polishing mine for sale I noticed two little lumps in the paint about the size of a pinhead, could have been start a tiny rust spec or a defect in the paint on the front of the rear wheel arch so definately a place to keep pan eye on

Most of the body panels exposed to stones and other water collecting areas are galvanised and wax injected so rust should not be a problem. The issue as highlighted earlier seems to be debris collection behind the plastic liner for the wheels.

As per the title, just been browsing eBay sussing out what bits and bobs are supposed to be on my car and what isn't as it still seems to have a few left over bits from the police fitted, such as a round button either side of the centre console where the gearstick is??

Anyway i noticed a couple of Octavia's have a few bits of rust, my car has none that i know of and i was wondering if there are common areas which i could treat now to avoid future problems, i think i've found a car i'd like to keep for a few years with the VRS so want to look after it.

Jon

The VAG group af cars are galvanised on the body and as stated wax injected so rust should not be a problem.on the body

Areas to look out for are:

Rear Beam and Beam wishbone arms to the rear wheel hub area

Front Subframe

Bottom of slam panel under radiator

any area under car that has underseal removed due to car ramps

car sills at the front and rear ends

Rear bumper crash car(lower lip is exposed to the elements) Hard to get to unless remove the bumper . Not hard though

I have done all these areas. though to be honest would oulast most car owenership periods left as is

I am fussy

Done my front subframe twice now.

Edited by Bowders1

Thanks for the pointers.

I think i'll take the plastic arch liners and mud flaps off when we get some dry weather, give the arches and sills a clean and treat if necessary with a rust treatment then underseal, the underbody subframes etc can be done when i have access to a ramp.

I only ask as i come from a long history of Ford ownership....... with a Ford it pays to prepare for these things.