Cost cutting

Hi All,

I have just purchased a FL VRS CR after owning a pre FL VRS TFSI for 3 very happy years but all good things must come to an end.

Although in general I feel the new one is better in most areas such as better looks and seemingly better handling and grip, that did come as a big surprise. There are of course the interior enhancements that look a lot better at first glance but all that glitters is not gold.

I first noticed that all the interior door pulls have been downgraded from high quality rubbery feel to cheap-o stratchy plastic, but whilst cleaning in the back I was amazed to find Skoda have taken a leaf out of Ford's book by changing the rear top door capping to cheap hard plasticfrom the softer grade that benefits the front doors. Is this the beginning of Volkswagen's attempt to start to cheapen their so called lesser company?

P.S I wish I had stuck to the petrol as I am not enjoying this diesel engine after getting burnt off yesterday by a Ford S-Max baby transporter. Mind you 48.4 mpg over one full tank of ( chip fat/shell v-power) isn't so bad I suppose.

:yes:

Edited by Vrs2

????? I've just got the FL CR170 with a DSG box and it absolutely flies!!! if you have a manual and are used to a petrol its a totally different way of driving and will take some time to get used to emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Don't feel too bad, the S Max could've been one of these:

S-Max 2.5 Titanium

Engine Size 2522 cc

Cylinders 5

0-60 mph 7.4 s

Power Output 216 bhp

Valves 20

Torque 324 Nm 239 lb-ft

Top Speed 143 mph

It's a Focus ST baby transporter! :rofl:

There are definitely signs of cost cutting that I've noticed.

The sound proofing has been reduced, particularly around the rear of the car.

And the rubbing strips on the boot floor mat have now gone.

It makes me laugh that you still don't get damped grab handles in the Octavia when everyone and their cat has got them in all brands and not costly ones at that. Perhaps Volkswagen feel such items like this justify the £3000k price hike over the vrs and it's a shame VW don't allow skoda to do as they please, it just goes to show they don't have the confidence in their own product and the pricing.

I will be looking to remap this car as Jonno has suggested as I am very disappointed with the performance and drivability compared with the petrol and no I'm not driving it wrong before anyone says I am, i just spend all my time looking at the mpg reading rather than the rev counter like in the petrol.

I think you are ether a diesel driver and like the feeling of performance via the torque or you are a petrol head and love the feeling of high revs and much more Mph000, people who say the two vrs forms are close in performance are wrong but each to their own and diesel does save you lots of money in fuel.

Anyones suggestions on remaps would be very appreciated.

Edited by Vrs2

Inevitably Skoda will have to cut some corners over VW/Audi or they will have to charge the same prices. I can't see that they have much of a labour cost advantage now, especially as they make some Golfs in Hungary now.

I think a budget brand based on VW oily bits is probably better than a premium brand based on Ford or Vauxhall bits. Maybe that's why Volvo and Saab have been sold off?

Here in Portugal the break does come with plastic door insertions on the rear doors. But the car does not :wonder: It´s the same as the front doors.

All Greenline models and models with GPS have shark antenas. Others don´t.

Just a reference the VW Golf wagon, the Jetta and the Beetle come from Mexico.

Only the Golf is made in Europe.

That´s why the price droped on the mexican models.

Edited by alberg