finding and fitting air filter

Hi all, am thinking about fitting a panel filter to my 06 Octavia rs, K+N or other? Can anyone give me advice on how to remove the old one and would appreciate advice on which make to buy and where does the best deals :think: ?

The air box is located at front right of engine bay, Air filter is accessed by unscrewing about six phillips type screws, liffting off lid and removing filter. I have a K&N panle filter and in all honesty noticed no difference to performance or mpg

Andy

The air box is located at front right of engine bay, Air filter is accessed by unscrewing about six phillips type screws, liffting off lid and removing filter. I have a K&N panle filter and in all honesty noticed no difference to performance or mpg

Andy

Thanks Andy will have a look to see if i can locate it, i spent about 20 mins trying to follow the air intake which leads under the plastic cover on the top of the engine!! i presume the filter on the petrol rs is in the same place as the deisel?

regards

Simon

Thanks Andy will have a look to see if i can locate it, i spent about 20 mins trying to follow the air intake which leads under the plastic cover on the top of the engine!! i presume the filter on the petrol rs is in the same place as the deisel?

regards

Simon

However, on my petrol Vrs the filter is in the engine cover, rear centre, and you will need to disconnect MAF sensor, two clips next to sensor (all top left of engine cover) and then disconnect the air intake (at the top right of cover). then pull engine cover off can be quite hard to pull to the point where you think you are gonna break it once in engine cover about 8 star screws and four philips screws to remove. At least that iw as like on my 07.

However, on my petrol Vrs the filter is in the engine cover, rear centre, and you will need to disconnect MAF sensor, two clips next to sensor (all top left of engine cover) and then disconnect the air intake (at the top right of cover). then pull engine cover off can be quite hard to pull to the point where you think you are gonna break it once in engine cover about 8 star screws and four philips screws to remove. At least that iw as like on my 07.

Ah thought i was being very dim! i was looking for some kind of clips? to remove the plastic engine cover, was pulling at it thinking any minute it would break :S i thought i was in the right area following the air intake but the plastic cover baffled me a bit and previous ham fistedness stop me from yanking it too hard!

cheers for the advice i will attempt to have a bash later this aft :thumbup:

• 5 years later...

Hi all, am thinking about fitting a panel filter to my 06 Octavia rs, K+N or other? Can anyone give me advice on how to remove the old one and would appreciate advice on which make to buy and where does the best deals emoticon-0138-thinking.gif ?

Dont waste your money just buy a new paper filter and put the £50+ towards a remap that will give you a huge gain on your car 250+bhp  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Dont waste your money on after market air filters you will get zero gains and a duff MAFF although it will sound better .

Just not worth the money...

I agree on zero gains, as I have fitted K&N air filters on various cars of mine for years. When you eventually clean and re-oil it after around 50k miles according to the manufacturer, as long as you only "lightly" spray the filter, you should not have any MAF problems. I know I never have and I clean and spray them more often than I really need to! Why then do I fit K&N filters? If I keep a car a number of years it pays for itself, as you don't have to keep replacing air filters at every service. Mind you, I don't really think there are any big gains either way, whether you fit aftermarket filter or a genuine paper one more regularly, It could be that I have just got into a habit of using K&N. 

And they sound better...????????

Are you sure you are not thinking about an induction kit! K&N panel filters sound about the same as genuine paper ones. Fitted a K&N induction kit once on a Civic Type R. Before fitting tried 0-60 mph time, as well as 40-80 mph time in 3rd gear. Then repeated the same on the exact same road with induction kit fitted. The same time before and after. Had to take the bloomin thing off mind, as the sound, especially on high vtec revs, was like the old Concord taking off. Too old for that sort of noise myself!   

If you have the oe engine cover then just refit an oe paper filter. I ran my Octy on a Shark Performance Stage 2+ map with the oe engine cover and oe filter with no issues.