burning oil?

lee67

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Monimoke,

There is something strange about the unit "ml" you cite. What is it? I would have guessed millilitres, but that you woun't be able to tell from the dipstick.

0.5 liter per 1000 km is a normaly quoted number for acceptable oil consumption, so that is I assume you meant, as the 1000 km = 625 miles if you are not too picky about the significant digits.

I meant 750ml - 3/4 of a litre.

Measured by reference to the graduations on the oil bottle every time I top up. Which unfortunately is often !

Dealer is not much help because Skoda say that they cannot judge consumption until the engine has done 5,000km (as per the handbook). However at the moment the consumption is 50% higher than the absolute maximum envisaged by Skoda so I'm not happy with the situation,. Dealer will be advised in writing by me next week so that I have it on record early.

By the way the oil is definitely being burned and is not leaking. After some further research elsewhere on the web I have found others reporting oil consmption issues with the 1.2TSI. Not many, and as this is a new engine its probably too early to jump to any conclusions. But disquieting nevertheless.

Edited by Minimoke

I meant 750ml - 3/4 of a litre.

Measured by reference to the graduations on the oil bottle every time I top up. Which unfortunately is often !

Dealer is not much help because Skoda say that they cannot judge consumption until the engine has done 5,000km (as per the handbook). However at the moment the consumption is 50% higher than the absolute maximum envisaged by Skoda so I'm not happy with the situation,. Dealer will be advised in writing by me next week so that I have it on record early.

By the way the oil is definitely being burned and is not leaking. After some further research elsewhere on the web I have found others reporting oil consmption issues with the 1.2TSI. Not many, and as this is a new engine its probably too early to jump to any conclusions. But disquieting nevertheless.

It may not have any direct relevance, but my old Octy 2 2.0 PD used quite a bit of oil in the first 5000 km, and then settled down to around 1 liter per 10,000 km - well within specifications.

I do not know what the dipstick looks like on the 1.2 TSI, but the older dipsticks were very difficult to read. Are you sure you do not overfill? Any excess would quickly get burnt by going through the sump vent. On the newre diesel engines, the dipstick has a grey tip, where it is easier to see the oil level. There is a cross hatched area in the middle, which is called "normal" and a mark above that called Max and below that probably labelled "must add oil" in the manual. I think I would not add any oil if the level is in the normal area - or at least wait till it is near the bottom. This will certainly ensure that you do not overfill.

It may be a silly idea, but is there any chance that the dipstick is too short? It has to be fully seated in the tube to make the measurement.

according to my dealer there is no oil leak..and the exhaust shows no sign of burning oil...will check the dipstick after a week or 2 and see whats happening...if its really low again, more action will be taken, as i didnt buy something with decent mpg only to have to buy expenisve oil weekly...watch this space.

Hello

Our 1.8 TSi is on just 5500 miles and the oil light came on! Checked oil to find the level at the low end of the normal range. Firstly, surprised the light flickered on, secondly surprised at the consumption. I assumed there was a fault with the oil light but since adding 0.5 litre its all fine - no light and the oil level is now at the top of the normal range.

Nought wrong with the engine its silky smooth and does I have to admit gets a regular workout...... :)

Any thoughts / opinions?

Edited by M0SP95

Hello

Our 1.8 TSi is on just 5500 miles and the oil light came on! Checked oil to find the level at the low end of the normal range. Firstly, surprised the light flickered on, secondly surprised at the consumption. I assumed there was a fault with the oil light but since adding 0.5 litre its all fine - no light and the oil level is now at the top of the normal range.

Nought wrong with the engine its silky smooth and does I have to admit gets a regular workout...... :)

Any thoughts / opinions?

I wouldnt be worried if that would have happened with my 1.8TSi tbh and in a way I think I'd prefer it if it actually used some - does that sound weird?! :giggle:

During the last 3,000 miles (mines on 6,000 now) its done its fair share of mountain roads too and having to use the revs and not just the torque as I generally would had me checking it every week but the oil level just doesnt move!

And yes - I agree; the engine is silky smooth. :thumbup:

Cool, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I really should check more often!

Do you sometimes forget to change up because the engine revs so clean, smooth and quietly? I certainly do, makes me laugh at times though, I just get the impression peeps look and see a 'Skoda' - get a shock when on the odd occasion I beast them off the lights, lol, gave a golf Gti a fright only yesterday.....I know 'what a child' - fun though!!

Cool, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I really should check more often!

Do you sometimes forget to change up because the engine revs so clean, smooth and quietly? I certainly do, makes me laugh at times though, I just get the impression peeps look and see a 'Skoda' - get a shock when on the odd occasion I beast them off the lights, lol, gave a golf Gti a fright only yesterday.....I know 'what a child' - fun though!!

I cant say Ive ever forgot to change up but I use the low down torque for trundling around and always make sure it gets a good run when on an open road. :thumbup: I know what you mean though; the way it pulls towards the end of the rev range is exceptional - it never sounds stressed and can only just be heard when revved fully - both SWMBO and myself agree that its the quietest high speed cruiser we have owned and you really have to keep an eye on the speedo.

Slightest bit of damp on the road and GTI's are fair prey, especially off the line tbh but we are heading off topic..... ;)

I am Yeti less as my little monster is in the workshop to try to find out where she is leaking oil. The last I heard they couldn't identify where the leak was coming from so were having to send pictures and readouts to Skoda. I've been givren a Fabia to use but I sooooo miss my little monster.

can u keep us informed, just incase i/we have the same issue...gonna check mine again later :wonder:

I have been told they are changing the manifold gaskets and possibly another one but not sure, allI know is one gasket is on back order, when I know more I will let you know.

Got my baby back today, apparently a leak from the inlet manifold. According to Skoda, 1.5 litres of oil usage in 8000 miles isn't excessive.

Well, I am glad it is fixed, and don't believe for a moment what they said - it is pure CYA. If they thunk the oil consumption was "normal", they would not have looked for the problem, now? Would they.

Now I suppose you will still keep track of the oil on a continuous basis - and let us know if the fix worked.

• 4 weeks later...

checked oil today and its half way down the dipstick after another 1300 miles'....gonna take it in and see whats up..last car ford focus didnt use any oil in 60,000 miles

Been a bit siack in the oil checking department, after 2000 or so miles my oil is about halfway down the dipstick, reminds me of a GPZ550 motorbike I had once, I used to top up the oil evbery 500 - 1000 miles.

Mark

checked oil today and its half way down the dipstick after another 1300 miles'....gonna take it in and see whats up..last car ford focus didnt use any oil in 60,000 miles

That can't be a feature of the engine Lee, at £15 per litre the cost is going to mount up quickly. I've done 3291 miles in my CR170 and I've just checked the oil. At the top of the dipstick still. Different engine I know but it can't be right that yours uses so much oil. Good luck with the dealer.

Stewart

That can't be a feature of the engine Lee, at £15 per litre the cost is going to mount up quickly. I've done 3291 miles in my CR170 and I've just checked the oil. At the top of the dipstick still. Different engine I know but it can't be right that yours uses so much oil. Good luck with the dealer.

Stewart

It's called Yeti tax it is a Volkswagen Group design feature just to remind us that we aren't clever enough to get a real bargain and we should have spent the extra on a Tiguan instead which has probably been engineered to use no oil what so ever. :D

Hi, from a 1.2 TSI owner here, I check my dipstick regularly since my dealer told me it will use a little oil, but so far nothing need to be added, still midway on the marker when engine warmed up and turned off.

I have never gone over 4000 rpm, and only reached than once the engine did 1500 miles, also didn't exceed 70mph.

i still havnt gone over 4000rpm( theres no need tbh)...but its still using oil, havnt had chance to get to dealers yet, but will defo be going, oh and if your is half way down the dipstick then it is using oil... ;)

i still havnt gone over 4000rpm( theres no need tbh)...but its still using oil,

Personally Id say that could only make the problem worse. To get the piston rings properly bedded in Ive always worked the engine during the first few thousand miles. Friends that have purchased vehicles at the same time as myself and run then in 'by the book', limiting revs have always seen higher oil usage and lower power outputs on the dyno! Ive run all my cars in using a similar method to what 'Honest Johns' advice that was posted a while ago - Ive NEVER had to top the oil up between servicing.

Personally Id say that could only make the problem worse. To get the piston rings properly bedded in Ive always worked the engine during the first few thousand miles. Friends that have purchased vehicles at the same time as myself and run then in 'by the book', limiting revs have always seen higher oil usage and lower power outputs on the dyno! Ive run all my cars in using a similar method to what 'Honest Johns' advice that was posted a while ago - Ive NEVER had to top the oil up between servicing.

ive run in countless new cars and bikes following the manual...and non have used oil, so that rules that theory out...and i dont think anyone has mentioned oil probs on a 1.2 until me.....maybe im just unlucky, but its one hell of a motor..