HELP! My rear wiper arm is rusted on!

Aaquil

Got a nice wiper arm, cap and blade from the guys at Manchester Skoda...got the green cotton filter in feeling proud of myself,,,onto the wiper arm...cannot get the damn thing off!!! Made a right mess of the old one any ideas?

Looks expensive? How do you actually get it off...rock it, pull with brute force?....

You might get it off like that, but I had to use a puller. Cheaper one here at machine mart. It worked for me, but only long enough to get the arms off my fabia. Copperase the spindles before replacing the arm.

Looks expensive? How do you actually get it off...rock it, pull with brute force?....

Put the arms of the puller under the wiper arm, then tighten the screw onto the top of the nut (which is still on the thread but clear of the wiper arm itself. This will stop you folding the pipe over).

Basically as you tighten it, it pulls the wiper arm off the spindle.

you can try pushing down on the arm carefully (fold it so its off the screen pointing out) then pulling up and pushing down and so on a few times, just to release it off the spline, useplusgas or shock and unlock not wd40.

Edited by Oet

I meant how do I get it off without the tool...but thanks anyway and have ordered one from E bay.

I had the same problem when I wanted to replace my rear wiper motor, and I didn't have a puller at that time. (But wish I did!!)

What I did was to undo all of the mounting bolts for the wiper motor first. Then I loosened the spindle nut on the wiper arm, and left the top of the nut slightly proud of the thread. I used a long ring spanner under the wiper as a lever (with a car wash sponge protecting the paint) and hit the nut with a large hammer!!

Otherwise, because the motor is on rubberised mounts a lot of the force you put in to remove the wiper arm is taken up by the motor mounts. My method (although very crude admittedly) allowed the wiper arm to come up and the motor to go in the other direction with no force absorbed where it wasn't wanted!

HTH.

my method has always worked for me.....i would like to know if anyone has a method for not losing the little wiper arm black cover clips that go over the nut....i have lost several :dull:

Edited by Oet

I tried it did not work I have ordered the puller will get it soon....Am tempted to try again but an worried I will end up with a big garage bill!!!

The worst that can happen is that you bugger the shaft on the wiper motor and need to buy another. I think I paid about £20 for one from another member here.

Well, that is assuming that you don't put a socket through the rear window!!emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Just used one of these cheap pullers on a Vectra, made a right pigs ear of the spindle and broke the puller.

The only tool to use is the one posted by "Chicken-eyebrow" made by Laser Tools and is intended to be used on commercial vehicle wipers.

Edited by hussarman