A long story

derri

Having now owned the Fabia for a few weeks I feel somewhere close to the challenge.

It a TDi 1.9 2004 saloon.

Hopefully if I can fund the following list I will be on the way to a few months of trouble free motoring.

Issues I've taken on:

1. PAS not working from startup, but appears to work sometimes.

2. Engine Management Warning light on.

3. ABS warning light on.

4. Starter motor crunching each startup.

5. Traction Control Warning light (???) on all the time.

6. Steering pulls to the left.

7. Drivers seat creaks and is slightly ripped, needs a new set but local scrap skoda chap states never seen the pattern before.

8. No in car entertainment, yep I drive with no radio or CD. Hopefully I'll come across something soon as long journeys are tiresome.

9. MOT due in 4 weeks.

10. Need another front bumper. (Damaged)

11. Need another bonnet. (Damaged)

12. Shared airvent at front is slightly broken.

13. Battery cover broken.

14. Window switch on drivers door needs replacing.

:thumbup: :thumbup: 15 Window swicth on front passenger door ***REPLACED LAST WEEK***

So your rear doors don't leak then... (Then neither did my 2004 or (I believe) the current one)

:(

Well thanks for that. I've not checked for leaks thus far, maybe I should add it to my list.

Maybe someone has already compiled a complete list of Fabia 1 checkpoints.

Mayb someone can advise how well an original Fabia radio/cd performs.

Well my experience suggests:

Weak front suspension/steering - having had two bushes, two boots and the steering rack replaced on my old car in its last 10,000 miles or so.

The radio's fine - mine's coupled with the 6CD changer. The only problem is far too insertive TA announcements - I regularly get Radio Shropshire in Gloucestershire! And curiously Radio 1 keeps kicking in all the time too...

That's allot of warning lights, sounds like it's had a front end knock though? Is this the cause of the lights?

If it's not then all of the lights could well be one of the main looms under the bonnet that were known to let water in and cause all kinds of Christmas tree style dash pod antics.. Sometimes they can be removed, drained, taped up and put back.. other times they need replacing but one guy on here found it was cheaper to have the effected piece chopped out and replaced by a pro rather than the whole lot.

Just a suggestion... might fix several tiems on your list in one go if this is the cause.

PAS could just be the angle sensor going faulty.. but Pumps are know to fail as well :(

ABS can be a bad sensor.. or even mis matched tyre sizes?

I had a PAS problem that was solved with a fresh battery. Wouldn't work on startup and would then kick in after 5 seconds or so.

New battery in place today as I only just got it started this morning on the very last throw of the dice.

I'll keep you posted.

New battery in place today as I only just got it started this morning on the very last throw of the dice.

I'll keep you posted.

Battery at least appears to have solved the PAS issue for the moment.

ABS still a major thorn.

Maybe I should raise a request for help on here.

My new Skoda badged dust caps arrived today, a little treat for Fabia.

The appeal of the new dust caps will be somewhat reduced by the fact I only own wheel trims though. :giggle:

I've started to gaze at the side of the roads for a decent set of replacements ...not.

:thumbup: :thumbup: 1. PAS not working from startup, but appears to work sometimes.

3. ABS warning light on.

7. Drivers seat creaks and is slightly ripped, needs a new set but local scrap skoda chap states never seen the pattern before.

8. No in car entertainment, yep I drive with no radio or CD. Hopefully I'll come across something soon as long journeys are tiresome.

9. MOT due in 4 weeks.

:thumbup: :thumbup: 15 Window swicth on front passenger door ***REPLACED LAST WEEK***

:thumbup: :thumbup: 16. A full set off new dust caps

i thought the saloon only came in 1.4 16v 100bhp, 1.4 16v 75bhp auto and 1.9 sdi whereas the 1.9tdi was available in the hatchback and estate

My error.

I do have a hatchback not a saloon.

I spend so many hours looking at the dashboard I don't have time to venture round the back. :(

:thumbup: :thumbup: 1. PAS not working from startup, but appears to work sometimes.

3. ABS warning light on.

9. MOT due in 4 weeks.

:thumbup: :thumbup: 15 Window switch on front passenger door ***REPLACED LAST WEEK***

:thumbup: :thumbup: 16. A full set off new dust caps

:thumbup: :thumbup: 17. Replaced the nightmare brake switch on brake pedal. Driving feels different, not sure why.

If when you open the door you can see water resting on the rubber seal, your door is leaking. You will not necessarily have a carpet that feels wet, but your windows may mist up more easily than they probably should. I have 3 doors to do :(

I dare not check at present water leak just yet.

I have another problem to add to the growing list, the 9 LED bulb/light at the front is flickering on one side.

Only yesterday I spent hours and 2 new tork screwdrivers trying to fit main bulb correctly and dropping spring clip down the front...eventually recovered it, but it's a very poor fit.

1. PAS not working from startup, but appears to work sometimes. :thumbup: :thumbup:

3. ABS warning light on.

9. MOT due in a few weeks.

11. Need to fit rear bumper panel properly.

15 Window switch on front passenger door ***REPLACED LAST WEEK*** :thumbup: :thumbup:

16. A full set off new dust caps :thumbup: :thumbup:

17. Replaced the nightmare brake switch on brake pedal. Driving feels different, not sure why. :thumbup: :thumbup:

18. 9 LED bulb at front now flickering.

• 3 weeks later...

1. PAS not working from startup, but appears to work sometimes. :thumbup: :thumbup:

3. ABS warning light on.

9. MOT due in a few weeks.

15 Window switch on front passenger door ***REPLACED LAST WEEK*** :thumbup: :thumbup:

16. A full set off new dust caps :thumbup: :thumbup:

17. Replaced the nightmare brake switch on brake pedal. Driving feels different, not sure why. :thumbup: :thumbup:

1. PAS not working from startup, but appears to work sometimes. SORTED

2. Engine Management Warning light on. :thumbup. SORTED

3. ABS warning light on. SORTED

5. Traction Control Warning light on all the time. SORTED

9. MOT due in a few weeks. SORTED

15 Window switch on front passenger door. SORTED

16. A full set off new dust caps SORTED

17. Replaced the nightmare brake switch on brake pedal. Driving feels different, not sure why. SORTED

4. Starter motor crunching each startup. SORTED

15. Window switch on front passenger door. SORTED

17. Replaced the nightmare brake switch on brake pedal. Driving feels different, not sure why. SORTED

18. 9 LED bulb at front now flickering. SORTED

3. ABS fixed... Erm how?

8. There's a Fabia CD/Tuner in the for sale section. - http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/176037-fabia-vrs-headunit-cd-player-80-posted/

13. This is almost normal as the securing clip can break trying to wrestle the thing off.. ;) Mine's been broken for >1 year. I still have the remnant somewhere in the house.

3. ABS fixed... Erm how?

8. There's a Fabia CD/Tuner in the for sale section. - http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/176037-fabia-vrs-headunit-cd-player-80-posted/

13. This is almost normal as the securing clip can break trying to wrestle the thing off.. ;) Mine's been broken for >1 year. I still have the remnant somewhere in the house.

3. ABS was more than I want to take on again. The part was all but impossible to trace, but using various sites I tracked down what at the time seemed to be the only one available at the time. I checked EBAY, posted requests to breakers without a positive indication that what I would be sent would be right. Advised NOT to send ABS unit away for fixing as may never see it again; there are some cunning people out there. Finally after just about to give up following hour upon hour of research I tracked one down with 14 days of warranty 4 miles away. Local mechanic despatched at a cost of £275. Fitting and and MOT was another £141 ,plus the initial diagnosis of £94. I'd already spent lots elsewhere. All fixed, lovely ABS, ASR and EM leds all gone. Thankfully I found a really decent mechanic who want to fix it ,not just tell me it was faulty. In a word, lots of emails, money, time and research will get it fixed.

8. Thanks, but there is no price on for it.

13. I'd like to see it right, but at the right price only.

Derri

• 2 months later...

Now just hold on there buddy...ABS warning light and the triangle are back on after about 1 minute, with just the ignition turned on.

7. Drivers seat creaks and is slightly ripped, needs a new set but local scrap skoda chap states never seen the pattern before. I CAN LIVE WITH IT

8. No in car entertainment, yep I drive with no radio or CD. Hopefully I'll come across something soon as long journeys are tiresome. SORTED

10. Need another front bumper. (Damaged) SORTED

11. Need to fit rear bumper panel properly. ONE DAY

12. Shared airvent at front is slightly broken. I CAN LIVE WITH IT

13. Battery cover broken. I WILL LIVE WITH IT

14. Window switch on drivers door needs replacing. WHEN I HAVE THE MONEY

19. Headlights need a polish inside.

20. And the old faithfull, leak from the back door behind the driver, making the footwell soaked.