DRL - no rear lights on

EdmundBlackadder

Last night I was driving home in slightly murky weather. It was not worthy of dipped headlights but had I not had DRL's on I would have switched on my sidelights. As I passed a number of cars on with no lights at all I suddenly wondered to myself if the rear lights came on with DRL's. Not knowing the answer I switched on my side lights, just in case, and resolved to check when I made it home. To my surprise no rear lights are on when the DRL's are working.

As the point of DRL's is to make you more visible to other motorists and pedestrians I would have thought that lights would have been on permanently at both the front and back.

Plenty of you out there may well have been aware of this but I thought I would make this post as it was news to me and other Yeti drivers may well be driving around thinking they are visible front and back and have no need to put on sidelights in slightly gloomy conditions.

For me, the next stage up from the DRLs would be dipped headlights, again on the basis of needing to be seen by others, and sidelights (which turn off the DRLs) are IMHO not sufficiently visible.

G

PS - I love the headlight "dance" when you fire him up - even after you've stalled!!!!! Grrrrr.

Bizzare though it sounds, that seems to be correct, and IMO proves that DRLs as actually implimented are an even worse idea than they were in theory.

In free traffic, my light switch has the following positions:-

1) Off

2) Dipped headlights

3) Side + front and rear fogs (only in night-time snow, or in fog).

4) Full beam + F&R fogs (only in daytime fog).

Sidelights are for parking, or stuck in traffic jams at under 20mph!

:rofl: Have you not noticed the Volvos that have had DRLs for decades now?! They and all other cars with DRLs only have additional front lights on. The onus is on the person behind you to notice you and if he drives into you it will always be his/her fault. And that is I guess where the legislation comes from to have it only at the front. If this bothers you do as I have done for the last 12 years: drive with your main lights on all the time (and by that I do not mean "parking" lights) as then the rear lights and number plate lights also come on

From the manual page 54:

Activating the function daylight driving lights

On vehicles which are fitted with bulbs for daylight driving lights in the fog lights, the parking lights do not come on when activating the function daylight driving lights. When the daylight driving lights are switched on, the illumination of the instrument cluster is switched off, however, it is switched on in the position AUTO when it is dark and the low beam shines with full brightness (100% of the performance).

So you will know when your lights are on when the instrument cluster is also illuminated.

I actually had a Volvo as my last car for two years and never thought to look. I have also noticed them on Audi's, BMW's and all the other cars that have DRL's but I only notice the front of the cars, not the back. I didn't want this to become a lights rant as these threads so often do, it was more to highlight to people how the DRL's do not light up the whole car just the front.

As above, they should get rid of sidelights<parking lights> they did before <dim dip > DRL`s are for daytime use, hence there name if you need your lights on <murky weather> turn your lights on . It astounds me how many people have their parking lights on in low light then put dipped beam on in full darkness. They are useless in low light. :thumbup:

Edited by bluvrs2

Surely the logic here is to be seen coming, the same logic that had most sensible motor cyclists driving with their headlights on since the 1970's.

You are going to have a much bigger impact if you hit someone coming the other way whilst overtaking or if they pull out in front of you without seeing you, than you are likely to do following a car. Clearly most parked or broken down cars have no rear lights on so it is down to you to miss them, but I do want to give others more chance of seeing me when I come towards a junction etc.

Personally I think anyone who thinks that driving on sidelights alone is a good idea, needs to think again. If you need rear lights onto be seen you need headlights as well, sidelights are only there for marking the car in a dodgy spot when parked. Its not as if you would ever notice an extra fuel cost by turning them on, and they are there to be used!

Only issue against DRM or headlights on in the day is that occassionally someone will glance at you or see you in his mirror and think you have flashed him to pull out. I have had this happen once in the 3 months since I got the car when someone pulled out of a junction turning right across me leaving me doing an emergency stop and swerve to go behind him. Good test of the brakes and ESP though. On the whole I think DRM is better with a strip of LED's like on the Audi as this is less likely to be misinterpreted.

On the whole I think DRM is better with a strip of LED's like on the Audi as this is less likely to be misinterpreted.

Exactly hence once money permits, I will switch off the Skoda DRLs and replace them with these.

In some countries I believe the DRL requirement includes lights on front and rear; relised when we got the wife's new fabia home it had the front foglight mounted DRL's on as well as the sidelights both front and rear with the light switch in O. Turns out it had two DRL options on at the same time :giggle: dealer unchecked the sidelight option on the VCDS and we now have just the fog mounted DRL on, which is much brighter than the sidelight (could almost drive with just DRL on in the dark).

4974616136_23db5afecf_z.jpg

Personally a fan of these DRL's, always notice Golf VI's a mile off with there fairly distinctive DRL's (Similar to the Monsters).

TP

There seem to be two types of set up for DRL's. The Scandinavian version and the American version I believe. One has the DRL's on with the rear sidelights on too and the other just has the front DRL's on. Surely the reason for these lights is to illuminate yourself so people you are approaching can see you rather than people behind being able to see where you are. If they can't see enough to notice you in daylight then they shouldn't really have a driving licence and if conditions get a bit too murky or dark then you would be turning on your lights as per normal wouldn't you?

I hope no-one takes offence at what I'm going to say.

I think one of the issues here is that with automatic systems we tend to forget to add that all important dash of the experience we have built up as drivers over many years.

IMHO, the DLRs are no more than an additional front facing light to give warning of presence to oncoming traffic and other road users.

The sidelights are only really for parking or in instances where the driver feels that she or he needs to show lights at all corners as markers.

In the case of the automatic function, you could be running in fog where the ambient light is strong enough not to trigger the auto function. Therefore you might only have Front facing DLRs and show no rear lights.

In the case of front and rear fog lights, in the UK these are only legally allowed when visibility in fog or falling snow is less than 100 metres.

The point I'm trying to make is that we have lights for a number of purposes, some of which are automatic but at the end of the day it's the driver who's in charge and makes the decisions.

John

This thread prompts a side-question:

Is it possible to alter the threshold (Maxidot?) of the level of gloom at which the main lights come on?

The CRV I sometimes drive at present certainly has a an automatic light-level sensor but it's preset at too low a light level. The light really has to get much gloomier than I feel comfortable driving in before the lights come on of their own accord. Result is that the auto sensor is essentially useless since it always gets overridden by manual control.

:rofl: Have you not noticed the Volvos that have had DRLs for decades now?! They and all other cars with DRLs only have additional front lights on.

Are you sure? I thought that the older Volvos and Saabs had rear lights on as well?

I hope no-one takes offence at what I'm going to say.

I think one of the issues here is that with automatic systems we tend to forget to add that all important dash of the experience we have built up as drivers over many years.

IMHO, the DLRs are no more than an additional front facing light to give warning of presence to oncoming traffic and other road users.

The sidelights are only really for parking or in instances where the driver feels that she or he needs to show lights at all corners as markers.

In the case of the automatic function, you could be running in fog where the ambient light is strong enough not to trigger the auto function. Therefore you might only have Front facing DLRs and show no rear lights.

In the case of front and rear fog lights, in the UK these are only legally allowed when visibility in fog or falling snow is less than 100 metres.

The point I'm trying to make is that we have lights for a number of purposes, some of which are automatic but at the end of the day it's the driver who's in charge and makes the decisions.

John

In Scandinavia, and soon to be in the rest of the, DRLs are required to be on in daytime. Only the DRLs are on, no sidelights or rear lights. If you do not have dedicated DRLs, you may use either fog lights or dipped headlights during daytime. Foglights may not be used at night, unless visibility is impaired - no matter by what, fog, heavy rain or snow.

On Yetis without any automatic light sensing, the DRLs are always on - till some other light is activated.

It is good practice to use dipped headlights in any situation, where the windshield wipers are on. I do not know if it is legally required anywhere, but it does increase your visibility to other traffic.

Even with the advance of DRL's side lights are perfectly acceptable to use when conditions allow…

Highway Code - 113

You MUST:

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

• use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

• use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

So the use of sidelights up to half an hour after sunset is deemed acceptable.

Some seem to be confusing side lights and parking lights.

Side lights are the first setting on the headlight switch (no auto lights) or the second setting if you have auto headlights. This setting illuminates a 5W bulb in both headlights and all tail/number plate lights.

Parking lights are turned on using the indicator stalk (hence the "P" symbol). With the headlight switch in the off or Auto position turn off the engine, then move the indicator stalk down for left side parking lights and up for right side parking lights.

The same 5W headlight bulb and tail lights illuminate (no number plate lights) but only on the side you have selected. The lights on warning buzzer sounds when you open the door incase you turn the engine off with the indicator on by mistake and don't need parking lights.

This allows you to make the most vulnerable side of the car visible when parking at night but halves the battery drain.

So as per the Highway Code quote above side lights are recognised as a feature of the vehicle and can be used legally in certain conditions as an alternative to dipped headlights.

• Like 1

Last night I was driving home in slightly murky weather. It was not worthy of dipped headlights but had I not had DRL's on I would have switched on my sidelights. As I passed a number of cars on with no lights at all I suddenly wondered to myself if the rear lights came on with DRL's. Not knowing the answer I switched on my side lights, just in case, and resolved to check when I made it home. To my surprise no rear lights are on when the DRL's are working.

As the point of DRL's is to make you more visible to other motorists and pedestrians I would have thought that lights would have been on permanently at both the front and back.

Plenty of you out there may well have been aware of this but I thought I would make this post as it was news to me and other Yeti drivers may well be driving around thinking they are visible front and back and have no need to put on sidelights in slightly gloomy conditions.

Keeping this thread on track...

I too would like to see rear lights on in addtion to the front DRL's.

I've lost count of the number of cars I've seen being driven in poor visibility with only DRL's on. Some drivers just aren't aware of the absence of rear lights.

Even on vehicles without DRL's it is still common to see cars driving in heavy rain with no lights on at all - what is going through these drivers minds? Not their driving that's for sure :dull:

Keeping this thread on track...

I too would like to see rear lights on in addtion to the front DRL's.

I've lost count of the number of cars I've seen being driven in poor visibility with only DRL's on. Some drivers just aren't aware of the absence of rear lights.

Even on vehicles without DRL's it is still common to see cars driving in heavy rain with no lights on at all - what is going through these drivers minds? Not their driving that's for sure :dull:

It's one of my pet hates too!

The problem with automatic headlihghts is that they only come on when ambient light levels drop below a pre-determined point. Great when dusk falls, but on a bright but foggy or rainy day, the headlights may not be activated, and as a result people who drive on "auto pilot" don't realise that they have to switch on their lights manually.

It doesn't help that the instrument panel on many modern cars is illuminated whenver the engine is running. So the driver often doesn't realise that their external lights are not on. Another case of technology taking over and stopping people thinking for themselves.

Edited by speedsport

It doesn't help that the instrument panel on many modern cars is illuminated whenver the engine is running. So the driver often doesn't realise that their external lights are not on.

Which is thankfully not the case in the Yeti. See my quote from the manual in post #4 above. The instrument lighting in a Yeti is linked to the main lights being on. If they are off the driver should know only the DRLs are on.

No silver we are not confused , and stop being patronising the poxy sidelight 5w bulb ,should only be used for parking! As stated in many previouse threads , and we all know if you leave the stalk down < right or left> it leaves that side parking lamp on .:thumbup:

No silver we are not confused , and stop being patronising the poxy sidelight 5w bulb ,should only be used for parking! As stated in many previouse threads , and we all know if you leave the stalk down right or left it leaves that side parking lamp on.

Calm down, I'm not being patronising. I simply disagree with what you said (below) and instead of simply saying I disagree I made an effort to substantiate my reasons.

As above, they should get rid of sidelights parking lights they did before dim dip, DRL`s are for daytime use, hence there name if you need your lights on murky weather turn your lights on . It astounds me how many people have their parking lights on in low light then put dipped beam on in full darkness. They are useless in low light.

The side light or what you refer to as the parking light can be used legally and is perfectly safe in low light.

You also claim that the side lights are parking lights. They are both, but you mention using parking lights whilst on the move which is impossible, hence I thought you were confusing them with side lights.

You also claim side lights should only be used for parking, which by the admission of the Highway Code is not true.

As a few others have mentioned I too make every effort to use the lights on my car appropriately. Making sure I can see and just as importantly ensuring I can be seen is my responsibility, no one else’s.

So, in agreement with the OP I too would like to see rear lights turned on with DRL's. I think this would help reduce the number of drivers driving in poor visibility with no lights on.

So, in agreement with the OP I too would like to see rear lights turned on with DRL's. I think this would help reduce the number of drivers driving in poor visibility with no lights on.

I disagree. To have rear lights on with DLR would mean that brake lights would be much harder to distinguish when conditions are bright.

The idea of DRLs is to make the car more visible to others. In bright conditions the only person to benefit from rear DRLs is the person following and I would argue that it is preferable to only have rear lights showing when the brakes are applied or light is poor.

It isn't only light level that determines headlamps and rear lights coming on 'Auto'. If the wipers are going steadily - I think for 30 seconds, then these lights will also come on.

I think that Skoda have the right compromise - my only concern is that people can easily mistake the front DRLs for foglights.

(Alonso on pole - only three hours to go :thumbdown: )