ROUGH RIDE?

bobspark

Had my Roomster Scout 1.9 tdi 2 months now, and it does everything fine, except on rough minor country roads, and roads which have been savaged by numerous roadwork’s, I find the ride very rough.

It seems to jolt over every imperfection.

And the roads in this country have never been worse!

I don’t think I’m being overcritical, you know how it is when you have a new car in the first months.

The car has just had its first MOT with no problems found.

Is it me, I welcome any views on the subject?

Hi Bob,

Lower spec Roomies have 15" wheels and the ride tends towards firm.

Roomie Scouts have 16" wheels and low(ish) profile tyres, which firm up the ride even more.

I, too wish the ride was a little less harsh.

Does your Scout have the optional 17" wheels and low profile tyres? These are known to give a very harsh ride.

Rob

Had my Roomster Scout 1.9 tdi 2 months now, and it does everything fine, except on rough minor country roads, and roads which have been savaged by numerous roadwork’s, I find the ride very rough.

I don’t think I’m being overcritical, you know how it is when you have a new car in the first months.

Yep - its "firm" esp in the 16" and 17" rim models. I think this car is designed to be loaded up because it smooths out quite a bit with a few passengers and luggage, and still handles remarkably well. When not loaded I tend to run the tyres slightly under the recommended pressure and it helps a bit.

Thank you for your replies regarding the harsh ride explains why one review I read regarding the Scout which said it couldn’t deal with this countries poor roads and potholes too well,

Whilst other reviews in other magazines regarding standard Roomsters made no mention of suspension problems.

The tyres are 16 inch and I have checked the tyre pressures.

Now I know it’s not a problem with just my car, I will just have to get used to it, especially as I tend to keep my cars for ten or more years!

In fact on some recent journeys I have managed to forget about it.

Wonder if the new faclifted Scout is better?

Thank you for your replies regarding the harsh ride explains why one review I read regarding the Scout which said it couldn’t deal with this countries poor roads and potholes too well,

Whilst other reviews in other magazines regarding standard Roomsters made no mention of suspension problems.

The tyres are 16 inch and I have checked the tyre pressures.

Now I know it’s not a problem with just my car, I will just have to get used to it, especially as I tend to keep my cars for ten or more years!

In fact on some recent journeys I have managed to forget about it.

Wonder if the new faclifted Scout is better?

Over the last two years either the suspension has loosened up a bit or my bum got bigger because its definitely less intrusive now than when I first bought it. Still not luxurious but bearable :smirk:

I noticed this when I first got my Scout in 08. It was the first car I'd had with low profile tyres and I think this was the difference. I don't notice it now.

Fred

• 8 months later...

Just treated the Roomy to a top quality tyre pressure gauge and discovered my old pencil-type gauge was reading 1.5PSI low. In other words, I was over-inflating the tyres by 1.5PSI.

Now 1.5PSI may not sound much, but reducing the tyre pressures to the correct values has made a noticeable improvement to ride quality.

But it's no substitute for 15" wheels, which really ought to be an option on the Scout

Just treated the Roomy to a top quality tyre pressure gauge and discovered my old pencil-type gauge was reading 1.5PSI low. In other words, I was over-inflating the tyres by 1.5PSI.

Now 1.5PSI may not sound much, but reducing the tyre pressures to the correct values has made a noticeable improvement to ride quality.

But it's no substitute for 15" wheels, which really ought to be an option on the Scout

i like the new 17s on the scout was going to get a price on them in the meantime aim on 16s my ride is ok mind you the car is only about 5 weeks old just getting a few bits on it now but would like to try 18s on it just to see how they fit in the archers pete

i like the new 17s on the scout was going to get a price on them in the meantime aim on 16s my ride is ok mind you the car is only about 5 weeks old just getting a few bits on it now but would like to try 18s on it just to see how they fit in the archers pete

17's look the business, but it does compromise the ride quality somewhat. I am looking at taking off the 17's on the Roomy and slapping on some Audi 16" mini comps once they're refurbed. B)

17's look the business, but it does compromise the ride quality somewhat. I am looking at taking off the 17's on the Roomy and slapping on some Audi 16" mini comps once they're refurbed. B)

I confirm that reading some reviews on car magazines it was clearly stated that:

1) Roomster suspension setup is a bit on the stiff side (in Italy we refer to 'German' setup compared to 'French' suspension setup emoticon-0144-nod.gif ).

2) 16" and 17" rims furtherly accentuate this feature.

I guess that 15" - 195-55 is the ideal measure for the Roomy, but marketing gurus think big alloy rims and low profile tyres give your car a cool, aggressive and sporty character. Not mentioning higher tyre costs, bigger inner noise and harsher ride. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

I've had my Roomster a month now and it has 15" alloys. With the car empty the ride is fine locally and on the motorway, but last week I visited Stoke, where they have managed to perfect tarmacing river beds and calling them roads. The ride deficiencies became very apparent, and yet with a full load on board the car became much more comfortable. It appears to have a commercial van set up. I'm glad I didn't get 16" rims as I already have a bad back!

Mine has 15" steel wheels and runs fine thanks to 195/55/15 Continentals. The car is way better than both my previous cars Octavia MK1 1.6 '02 (195/65/15) and Fabia 1.2 12v '06 (175/60/14). Suspension is stiffer too as it is supposed to be a sporty one. :thumbup:

My only problem is steel wheels. One day I'll make them alloys... :D

P.S. A friend of mine owns a Roomster Scout 1.2Tsi and he is complaining about rough ride due to 16" alloys.

Edited by stratosg

My only problem is steel wheels. One day I'll make them alloys... :D

P.S. A friend of mine owns a Roomster Scout 1.2Tsi and he is complaining about rough ride due to 16" alloys.

I love my Scout, but I am tiring of the rough and noisy ride on Birmingham's pot-holed roads.

I am seriously considering the purchase of 15" steels and storing the 16" alloys until I eventually sell the car

I love my Scout, but I am tiring of the rough and noisy ride on Birmingham's pot-holed roads.

I am seriously considering the purchase of 15" steels and storing the 16" alloys until I eventually sell the car

I think there is nothing to do between steel and alloy, it is just matter of tire dimensions. My opinion is to exchange your 16" alloys with 15" alloys, our PCD is 5X100 and fits all previous Octavia and Fabia models. Steels are quite ugly their original hubs are extremely expensive (about 150 to 200 euros) and much heavier than alloys. Mine wears Satellite hub covers, but i prefer "Line" or "Avior" alloys.

Roomster Accessories page 7-8

I think there is nothing to do between steel and alloy, it is just matter of tire dimensions. My opinion is to exchange your 16" alloys with 15" alloys, our PCD is 5X100 and fits all previous Octavia and Fabia models. Steels are quite ugly their original hubs are extremely expensive (about 150 to 200 euros) and much heavier than alloys. Mine wears Satellite hub covers, but i prefer "Line" or "Avior" alloys.

Roomster Accessories page 7-8

My roomy fits stock 15" Avior rims with Bridgestone Turanza 300 195/55 tyres. For a bucket of euros I could have chosen 16" sporty Elba rims but (well done!) my expert friends dissuaded me from fitting them for all the reasons we are talking about.

I do not know if Robjon area is subject to cold and ice in winter. If this is the case, I suggest he buys 4 cheap steel 15" rims with winter tyres, keeping the original 17" for the rest of the year. It could be a good compromise and it would add safety to your winter trips.

This is what I do here on the high hills of Central Italy, I fit normal tyres from April to October, winter tyres from November to March.

My roomy fits stock 15" Avior rims with Bridgestone Turanza 300 195/55 tyres. For a bucket of euros I could have chosen 16" sporty Elba rims but (well done!) my expert friends dissuaded me from fitting them for all the reasons we are talking about.

I do not know if Robjon area is subject to cold and ice in winter. If this is the case, I suggest he buys 4 cheap steel 15" rims with winter tyres, keeping the original 17" for the rest of the year. It could be a good compromise and it would add safety to your winter trips.

This is what I do here on the high hills of Central Italy, I fit normal tyres from April to October, winter tyres from November to March.

Can you post a photo please? Avior are the alloys i like the most, and i haven't seen any Roomster wearing them. There is only one Fabia MK1 in my city wearing them and she looks great.

By the way my tires are Continental Premium Contact 2 195/55/15

Can you post a photo please? Avior are the alloys i like the most, and i haven't seen any Roomster wearing them. There is only one Fabia MK1 in my city wearing them and she looks great.

By the way my tires are Continental Premium Contact 2 195/55/15

Here it is, Stratos, this is exactly my roomy, same colour, same alloy rims (same roof bars, same tinted rear windows) emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Cappuccino.jpg

Edited by Lorenzo

The Line rims look very nice on the Roomster as well. See my pic

2011-04-29184652.jpg

... and Cappuccino seems to be a very popular color among Roomsters

The Line rims look very nice on the Roomster as well.

... and Cappuccino seems to be a very popular color among Roomsters

Yes, at first glance I liked better the 'classical' look of Line rims, and I thought I could have asked for a replacement of the stock Avior. Actually, Avior are stock equipment with the 105hp engine, in Italy. Line rims are stock with a medium level trim ('Style'). I had only seen Line rims, until the moment I ordered the car.

But suddenly came to my mind that asking for that option could have resulted in a shipment delay and decided to keep the standard option.

Now I am coming to like the 'baroque' and more complicated look of the Avior rims, it all comes to a matter of personal taste, at the end.

As to the Cappuccino colour, at first I chose white (I like it, all my former cars were white), then the metal option has been a little gift from my mother who told me she could not stand his son driving a baker's van emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Finally, I chose Cappuccino because it is neither dark nor light, it is similar to grey but warmeeer.....emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif