Anyone heard of Elite Remaps?

JLneonhug

Morning,

Having a usual browse on ebay and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fabia-VRS-1-9TDI-Postal-ECU-Remap-Remapping-Chip-/250689097554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5e3c0f52

Elite remaps - £99.....

Send off your ECU, get it back in 3 days remapped..!

Direct website gives pretty conservative estimates of 163bhp, 299ft/lb

http://www.eliteremaps.com/detay.asp?ProdID=1639

"normal" price is £250.

Hmm.. :wonder:

to be honist i wouldnt send my ecu off to anyone i like to deal with people face to face i used celtic tuneing they came to me down loaded my oe settings emailed them to there workshop then an hour later it was sent back and uploaded back to the ecu very happy with it :thumbup:

What would you do if your ECU was lost in the post, or the tuner says they never got it. Answer, buy a new one from Skoda for more than £1K, Much better to use a reputable company who can tune your car with the ECU in place.

There is also a false statement in the ebay auction.

Should I tell my insurance company?

Whilst the upgrade is undetectable, we are a responsible company and answer to this question has to be "yes", your insurance company should be notified. However, many insurance companies do not penalise you for upgrades of this nature, particularly if you're tuning for increased economy.

This is a lie, all remaps are detectable since they alter the expected checksum of the ECU and also key data areas of the software. I like the insurance comment on the end as well, it makes me laugh a little.

Done some googling and haven't found many results.. However I have found brushing comments of praise about them but no-one directly dealing with them and said "they are great".

Hmm.. :wonder:

As you may have noticed Im still in search for remappers and attempting to understanding how it works with geeky technical detail..

Edited by JLneonhug

DON'T DO IT. It's that simple.

Oh, and for the record - I know a motorsport mapping expert who also writes maps for tractors and trucks. It's quite big business in fact, as he can extract extra economy out of the engine, or tune it for a particular use, it could save a company a fair bit of cash over the lifetime of the vehicle. Especially when you're perhaps spending upto £500k on a tractor :)

But in this case, for this company - steer well clear.

Steve

They don't have proper contact details on their website either, no address and an 0845 number or a mobile. Not good for someone offering a postal service!

If you look up who owns the domain the address given is in Leeds with a post code near London.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to point out that the comment about the checksum being different after a remap is totally wrong. If a remap is done properly, i.e. not by someone using a disk full of maps off e-Bay, then the checksum is reset exactly the same as the original. The only way to detect a proper remap is by downloading the new one, having an original to compare it with, and then seeing if the two are different.

I just want to point out that the comment about the checksum being different after a remap is totally wrong. If a remap is done properly, i.e. not by someone using a disk full of maps off e-Bay, then the checksum is reset exactly the same as the original. The only way to detect a proper remap is by downloading the new one, having an original to compare it with, and then seeing if the two are different.

Are you having a laugh?

The checksum is a value calculated from the sum of all the bits in memory, so if the map changes, the checksum has to be recalculated otherwise it won't match the content and the car won't start.

For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

I don't think he meant the checksum, I think he meant the flash counter could be reset to whatever it was before.

And any decent remap should be detectable using Tech1e's infamous bum dyno.

• 2 weeks later...