Octavia Scout - questions about spec/options

Hi,

First post on here and apologies for asking some questions which I'm sure are dealt with elsewhere but I'm buggered if I could find out what I was looking for; despite driving other half mad with obsessive forum searching over the past few days :)

I am on the verge of ordering a new Octavia Scout TDi but am a wee bit confused with the lights (among other things, but one thing at a time):

Q1. What lights come as standard (headlights, number of rear fog lights, reversing lights etc)?

Q2. Are there any standard-fit lights that are physically there/actually fitted but not enabled as standard (and therefore need the dealer or someone else with VCDS to activate them)?

Q3. As any car I order will be a 2011 build does anyone know what I will get in terms of DRLs as I believe Skoda will be legally obliged to fit DRLs to UK cars as of 2011 (I won't order them as an optional extra as I want to keep the fog lights that come as standard, I am curious though)?

Q4. What exactly are the differences betwen the optional Xenons over standard fit lights and are they worth the extra money (a subjective question I know but am interested in what others think)?

I don't have a light fetish in case anyone was wondering but, apart from the heavy fuel consumption, the only downside of my current car (2001 A4 1.8T Quattro sport) is that it has really poor headlights and every winter I seem to envy other people who can actually see where they are going!

Thanks in advance :)

i recently drove an octavia vrs demo with every conceivable extra fitted

except xenons

when i asked why, the manager who it belonged to told me that they were not good value for money

in his opinion they were not much better than standard

Welcome to Briskoda!

Good choice, the Scout is ace!

1) As standard -

Front - 2x halogen projector headlights, 2x main beam, 2x side lights, 2x parking lights (uses side light bulbs), 2x indicators and 2x fogs.

Side - LED repeater indicators mounted in the wing mirrors. Puddle light mounted on the underside of each wing mirror.

Rear - 8x tail/night lights (4x each side), 2x brake lights, 2x indicators, 2x rear fogs, 2x number plate lights, 2x reverse lights and 1x high level LED brake light.

NB: Only one rear fog will work from the factory. The second rear fog can be activated by your dealer or a friendly local member with VAG-COM. This has now been confirmed to work on facelift models.

2) Cornering light function is available which uses the front fogs. At speeds under 24mph with your headlights on if you turn the wheel or indicate the front fog light illuminates to light up the corner. As with the second rear fog this might need activating by the dealer.

3) DRL's will be required by law in the UK from April 2011 to be fitted to all new-builds. On the Scout LED DRL's are available now as a £230 cost option. If you specify this feature they are fitted in lieu of the front fogs as they use the same apertures.

I guess next year the Scout will no longer be available with front fogs as DRL's become standard fit.

4) My Scout has xenon’s but is a pre-facelift so they don't look round corners like they do the on the new face lift (AFS I think its called), however put it this way, I won't have another car without xenons. I do a lot of night driving and in the winter combined with the headlight wash feature they are worth every penny!

Edited by silver1011

Options always seem more expensive than you expect, and you know you will not recover the cost on selling normally, so the question is - will you need the feature and will it make a real difference to your driving experience: everyone being different in what they want from a car.

However, I got hooked on Octavia xenons will my pre-facelift car - the brochure says 2.5x more light over standard and I can believe this - the spread of light is broad, even and similar to daylight. I liked the pre-facelift ones, but it did show up the main beam as quite weak and so I upgraded to Osram nightbreakers (H1 bulbs) which helped a bit. I found the lighting was very easy on the eye especially on tired trips home after work in winter. They also have a good spread for motorway driving.

I've just bought a new Scout with xenons and AFS which seem even better - the turning of the beam around corners is amazing - but dispensable - I'm just happy with the extra light and spread.

The only downside I have found is that the upper cut-off of the xenon dip beam is very abrupt and in misty or foggy conditions it seems to hamper the long range view - its just a black hole above the cut-off. I experimented with various combinations of the fog lights, dip, main and side lights but none seems better. In very thick fog just the foglights seemed to be better. It can also cut-off halfway up motorway signs which isn't helpful to reading the whole thing. Another downside is that you will never be satisfied with standard lights again.

So - if you like your car to feel just right, do a lot of night driving (especially long trips or after work), and aren't too fussed about losing the money, go for it!

p.s. Agree with silver about the headlamp wash in winter - that is really good. You also get a bigger screenwash reservoir.

Edited by London Les

Thanks for the prompt replies (and all the edits), they are appreciated.

I guess I'll just wait and see what comes as standard regarding DRLs, I'll not actively give up the front foglights but if they are superceeded then so be it (although it would surprise me if they are). Maybe Skoda will find a way of fitting both as they do on the vRS.

As for the xenons I think they'll make it on to the list, after all you can never have too many toys :)

Thanks again.

Maybe Skoda will find a way of fitting both as they do on the vRS.

I've wondered this myself. I find it hard to believe that the Scout will loose the option of front fogs until the next facelift.

I just can't see how they'll do it though as the DRL's have to be a set distance apart. This rules out adding them into the lower grill.

SkodaOctaviaScout.jpg

On the vRS they are able to add them under the front fogs which are already as far to the edge of the bumper as possible.

DSC03104.jpg

These pics are from other threads. When not lit up you can hardly tell the difference between DRL's and fogs.

17sept2010030.jpg

DRLs.jpg

DRL.jpg

When you order your Scout remember the Polished Proteus Alloys for £80, they look great. I'd love to see them on an Anthricite Scout :thumbup:

17sept2010036.jpg

ScoutAlloys.jpg

Although I've had cars which have had Xenons as standard (maybe optional further down the trim ladder), I've never considered them as justifying their option cost for the marginal advantage. I also have an old (07 reg) A4, and have never noticed the light level to be low although a previous one (01 reg) did come with Xenons.

As you say, it's subjective, and I'll gladly pay slightly more for a sunroof just so my dogs are comfortable for the few minutes I'm parked - even though it doesn't make economic sense; or a daft amount to put a towbar on just in case I might need to use it a handful of times. As for DRLs - I just hope I can deactivate them on future cars.

Toonfan66,

I am picking up a Scout MY11 today so if you have any questions with regard to the new model feel free to post more questions in this forum. FYI I ordered the Xenons but not the DRL (they were not an option when I ordered back in Feb). I too am intrigued to see if the car will come with un-activated DRL?

Toonfan66,

I am picking up a Scout MY11 today so if you have any questions with regard to the new model feel free to post more questions in this forum. FYI I ordered the Xenons but not the DRL (they were not an option when I ordered back in Feb). I too am intrigued to see if the car will come with un-activated DRL?

February? You cannot be serious? I ordered mine, fully loaded with options, in mid-June and it's come half way round the world for delivery to me in the next few days (17 weeks in total).

Don't forget to add your name to the ever-growing Scout owner's register :thumbup: .

Toonfan66,

It won't come with DRL's, either activated or unactivated unless you specified / paid for them.

You'll have the fog lights.

Only Scouts ordered after April 2011 or thereabouts will have them as standard.

I can guarantee as long as they can charge for them and don't have to fit them by law they will.

I also have an old (07 reg) A4, and have never noticed the light level to be low although a previous one (01 reg) did come with Xenons.

Ah Jeeves old chap, an 07 isn't old :) a 2001 Y reg A4 (the very last of the B5 model I think) is old, esp with 192k miles on the clock. Despite being to quite a high spec (more or less equivalent to an S-line today) the light are woeful. I think if I'm planning on keeping the next car for a number of years a few hundred pounds will be money well spent, so xenons is is.

Toonfan66,

Tango, how is the car and how are the xenons? As for your long time from order to delivery I'm expecting much the same, the dealer told me that if I ordered one today it wouldn't even be built until early next year and I wouldn't see it 'til March/April ish. That was one of the reasons I asked about DRLs as it is likely to be well into the time when they are compulsory on new-build cars. I guess there's only one way to know for sure - order one and see what turns up!

When you order your Scout remember the Polished Proteus Alloys for £80, they look great. I'd love to see them on an Anthricite Scout :thumbup:

17sept2010036.jpg

Silver, did I mention it or are you psychic? Anthracite is my colour of choice and polished alloys are on the list of added goodies.

Toon, what can I say, you have excellent taste!

If you ever to decide to sell your FL Anthricite Scout with the alloy wheel upgrade, xenons and maxidot (MFSW) I'll be first in line, its my perfect spec...

...I won't hold my breath though, you'll never want to let it go!

Toon, what can I say, you have excellent taste!

If you ever to decide to sell your FL Anthricite Scout with the alloy wheel upgrade, xenons and maxidot (MFSW) I'll be first in line, its my perfect spec...

...I won't hold my breath though, you'll never want to let it go!

All the above but including space-saver spare wheel, and curtain airbags. However my current car has been here for 7 years and the previous one for 6 so I'm not in th habit of changing cars quite as often as my socks - you'll have a long wait on your hands. All I need to do is order it.

• 1 month later...

Well, despite taking longer than expected (life just has a habit of getting in the way of real blokey stuff such as buying a car, and the associated checking of specification, double checking it, and making sure you're really sure the options are all justifiable) I took the plunge and ordered a Scout: 2.0TDi, Anthracite, polished alloys, sunroof, bi-xenons, alcantara, heated seats, electric seat & folding mirrors, MFSW .... err ...... think that was about it.

I went through Drive the Deal as their price was £1300 cheaper than any dealer I contacted, and despite wanting to support local businesses everyone has their limit. However, the big downside is the 6 month wait but it came as no surprise and I can live with it.

It's replacing the best car I've ever owned so has a lot to live up to - 2001 A4 (last of the B5 models) 1.8T Sport quattro, 195k miles and still going, quite simply an amazing car :)

Well, despite taking longer than expected (life just has a habit of getting in the way of real blokey stuff such as buying a car, and the associated checking of specification, double checking it, and making sure you're really sure the options are all justifiable) I took the plunge and ordered a Scout: 2.0TDi, Anthracite, polished alloys, sunroof, bi-xenons, alcantara, heated seats, electric seat & folding mirrors, MFSW .... err ...... think that was about it.

I went through Drive the Deal as their price was £1300 cheaper than any dealer I contacted, and despite wanting to support local businesses everyone has their limit. However, the big downside is the 6 month wait but it came as no surprise and I can live with it.

It's replacing the best car I've ever owned so has a lot to live up to - 2001 A4 (last of the B5 models) 1.8T Sport quattro, 195k miles and still going, quite simply an amazing car :)

Did you not order the spare wheel? Worth the extra £55

Ah, knew I'd forget one or two things, yes i did go for the spare, and the curtain airbags too. Decided against front parking sensors (that's what my eyes are for) and the stupidly expensive sat-nav option (that's what my Tom Tom is for).

Sounds like a really good spec. On the Xenons, I was wondering about how the xenon dip and halogen main beams would integrate with facelift light units. On the pre-FL car I changed the main beam for Nightbreakers and adjusted the alignment because of the gap between the main and dip and because the main looked so feeble. I'm please to report the FL lights are better - I've manages to lay off tinkering so far.

Well I'm pleased the xenons get the thumbs up, despite the A4 being the best car I've ever owned the only criticism I could level against it is an exceptionally poor main beam; the 'reach' of the light had me always checking that I'd not selected side lights by mistake. All I can do now is wait until next year and see if reality lives up to expectation.

I've had Xenons on my last 3 cars, and wouldn't go back. On the other hand, I bought them all second hand, so didn't have to pay the full price for them as an option!

We had Xenons on our Mk 1 L&K & on the Superb bothexcelent so we added them on thev scout but are somewhat disapointed with the dip which is incredibly severe giving a complete black hole to the right at anything over about 40 mph. In fairness Im going to get the dealer to check the settings on the first service so it may be that but Ive read other posts from people with similar opinions. Big plus with them if you have maxi dot is you can switch them to continental settings through the cars menu