DPF ISSUE ON VRS TDI "I THINK"

Hi all very big disappointment today eventually decided on remapping my vrs so found very well recommended tuning/performance centre to do the job.

Will start by saying since owning the car from 22k at 2 yrs old ive had an intermittent fault the car will increase idle revs to about 1100 rpm and run like a complete dog lumpy hesitant the engine tone completely changes but once on open road takes of like its found an extra 25 bhp if no open rd available it can remain running rough for 10/30 minutes.

Typical response from main dealer no fault found. Anyway 1 night it was particularily bad and the DPF light came on so i followed instructions as per manual and after about 12 miles light went out. Fault still present occuring now usually daily.

Next service interval please check DPF you might guess comment NO FAULT FOUND WITH DPF.

So have lived with problem for last 6 months car now completed 50k (i do huge mileage) Anyway off she went this morning for remap.

Got call after 1st dyno reading car actually producing 178bhp only mod is a k&n panel filter so very pleased to think the 30 bhp additional power should increase to 200 plus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then came the 2nd call remapped 3 times and can only find an additional 8 bhp he said he pushed everything to the very limit.

His conclusion is the DPF is partially blocked not enough to bring up fault codes but enough to not let the turbo produce anymore boost. Since taking the car tonight and parting with £350 hard earned pounds the same ****s happening, now bearing in mind the car had a 50 mile traffic free run this morning before reaching the garage and as the tech man said hes run it on dyno for at least an hour at very high speeds you would assume DPF as clear as it could be.

Now before i kick of at the local Skoda dealer tomorrow i would value any advice and reassurance that this is potentially the main cause i dont intend on telling them its been in for remap just that i cannot live with this problem anymore.

1 last thing that may be relevant mpg has never been anything like what is stated on official stats it averages between 39-44 mpg and i dont do much town driving in it.

PLEASE ADVISE

i have had the same problem with my Octavia aswell gets taken in and no fault found, now recently it put itself into limp mode so went in for a regen, but yet the problem is still there idles at 1k the turbo goes loud etc etc, now everytime i took it in they said the car had been tuned (they can check for this btw). the worse thing though is that the DPF filters arnt covered under warranty so expect a massive bill. also i have never had anymore than 45mpg showing and it always avarages around 38-40mpg.

I realised how much this would cost me and was lucky enough to part x the car for something else

i know its not much help but your not the only person out there.

Edited by shaun_vrs

i have had the same problem with my Octavia aswell gets taken in and no fault found, now recently it put itself into limp mode so went in for a regen, but yet the problem is still there idles at 1k the turbo goes loud etc etc, now everytime i took it in they said the car had been tuned (they can check for this btw). the worse thing though is that the DPF filters arnt covered under warranty so expect a massive bill. also i have never had anymore than 45mpg showing and it always avarages around 38-40mpg.

I realised how much this would cost me and was lucky enough to part x the car for something else

i know its not much help but your not the only person out there.

r u sure dpf not covered im still on manufacteurers warranty

A couple of succinct points;

1. "the car will increase idle revs to about 1100 rpm and run like a complete dog lumpy hesitant the engine tone completely changes but once on open road takes of like its found an extra 25 bhp if no open rd available it can remain running rough for 10/30 minutes." - this is 'normal' and is the discreet regeneration of the DPF. The frequency with which this happens comes down to how much town driving you do.

2. Has your car had the 26E6 remap and upgraded exhaust gas temperature sensor fitted to the DPF? This is fundamental to your problem and I suspect, from what you describe, that it has not been done. If it hasn't then your DPF will have been getting progressively clogged. It was a warranty job (but not a 'recall') in the summer of 2008. Any PD 170 engined vRS built mid 2008 onward will be OK, but if your PD170 is pre June/July 2008 it should be done. Your dealer will be able to tell if the car has had the 26E6 job done; 1st question to ask them!

3. It seems a bit of a poor show on the remap guys to just shrug shoulders and say 'sorry Guv, it won't do any more'. Once you have got your DPF sorted I'd got back for a re-remap; you should easily get 200bhp.

Good luck.

Finally; 39-44mpg is fair enough for a briskly driven vRS

PS> do a search on this part of the forum for 26E6 - you'll find a fair bit more info!

1. "the car will increase idle revs to about 1100 rpm and run like a complete dog lumpy hesitant the engine tone completely changes but once on open road takes of like its found an extra 25 bhp if no open rd available it can remain running rough for 10/30 minutes." - this is 'normal' and is the discreet regeneration of the DPF. The frequency with which this happens comes down to how much town driving you do.

2. Has your car had the 26E6 remap and upgraded exhaust gas temperature sensor fitted to the DPF? This is fundamental to your problem and I suspect, from what you describe, that it has not been done. If it hasn't then your DPF will have been getting progressively clogged. It was a warranty job (but not a 'recall') in the summer of 2008. Any PD 170 engined vRS built mid 2008 onward will be OK, but if your PD170 is pre June/July 2008 it should be done. Your dealer will be able to tell if the car has had the 26E6 job done; 1st question to ask them!

3. It seems a bit of a poor show on the remap guys to just shrug shoulders and say 'sorry Guv, it won't do any more'. Once you have got your DPF sorted I'd got back for a re-remap; you should easily get 200bhp.

Good luck.

PS> do a search on this part of the forum for 26E6 - you'll find a fair bit more info!

Hi all very big disappointment today eventually decided on remapping my vrs so found very well recommended tuning/performance centre to do the job.

Will start by saying since owning the car from 22k at 2 yrs old ive had an intermittent fault the car will increase idle revs to about 1100 rpm and run like a complete dog lumpy hesitant the engine tone completely changes but once on open road takes of like its found an extra 25 bhp if no open rd available it can remain running rough for 10/30 minutes.

Typical response from main dealer no fault found. Anyway 1 night it was particularily bad and the DPF light came on so i followed instructions as per manual and after about 12 miles light went out. Fault still present occuring now usually daily.

Next service interval please check DPF you might guess comment NO FAULT FOUND WITH DPF.

So have lived with problem for last 6 months car now completed 50k (i do huge mileage) Anyway off she went this morning for remap.

Got call after 1st dyno reading car actually producing 178bhp only mod is a k&n panel filter so very pleased to think the 30 bhp additional power should increase to 200 plus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then came the 2nd call remapped 3 times and can only find an additional 8 bhp he said he pushed everything to the very limit.

His conclusion is the DPF is partially blocked not enough to bring up fault codes but enough to not let the turbo produce anymore boost. Since taking the car tonight and parting with £350 hard earned pounds the same ****s happening, now bearing in mind the car had a 50 mile traffic free run this morning before reaching the garage and as the tech man said hes run it on dyno for at least an hour at very high speeds you would assume DPF as clear as it could be.

Now before i kick of at the local Skoda dealer tomorrow i would value any advice and reassurance that this is potentially the main cause i dont intend on telling them its been in for remap just that i cannot live with this problem anymore.

1 last thing that may be relevant mpg has never been anything like what is stated on official stats it averages between 39-44 mpg and i dont do much town driving in it.

PLEASE ADVISE

FANTASTIC ADVICE AND YES MINE WAS ACTUALLY REGISTERED IN MARCH 08 SO BUILD COULD HAVE BEEN 07 AND IN SPRINT YELLOW COULD HAVE SAT ABOUT LINCOLNSHIRE FIRE SERVICE OWNED FROM NEW AND I THINK MAINTAINED ALL THERE VEHICLES AT OWN POLICE GARAGE SO COULD IMAGINE ITS BEEN MISSED.

TUNE GUY VERY HELPFUL HAS ACTUALLY SAID BEFORE TAKING IT INTO SKODA HE WILL REVERT BACK TO STANDARD SETTING S AND THEN UPLOAD REMAP AND RETWEAK AFTER DPF SORTED.

tHANKS INVAILUABLE

FANTASTIC ADVICE AND YES MINE WAS ACTUALLY REGISTERED IN MARCH 08 SO BUILD COULD HAVE BEEN 07 AND IN SPRINT YELLOW COULD HAVE SAT ABOUT LINCOLNSHIRE FIRE SERVICE OWNED FROM NEW AND I THINK MAINTAINED ALL THERE VEHICLES AT OWN POLICE GARAGE SO COULD IMAGINE ITS BEEN MISSED.

TUNE GUY VERY HELPFUL HAS ACTUALLY SAID BEFORE TAKING IT INTO SKODA HE WILL REVERT BACK TO STANDARD SETTING S AND THEN UPLOAD REMAP AND RETWEAK AFTER DPF SORTED.

tHANKS INVAILUABLE

Good luck.

tHANKS INVAILUABLE

tHANKS INVAILUABLE

1 more question if the 26e6 has not been done and being the vehicle has now covered 51k will an upgrade cure the problem or would you say the DPF is now un-usable and needs replacing ???

Will this be a warranty replacement in your opinion as its still whithin the 60k 3 year period.

1 more question if the 26e6 has not been done and being the vehicle has now covered 51k will an upgrade cure the problem or would you say the DPF is now un-usable and needs replacing ???

Will this be a warranty replacement in your opinion as its still whithin the 60k 3 year period.

You might be OK on this.

As your car was registered in March '08 this will be pre 26E6 upgrade and as it has been 'independently maintained' by the Fire Service they may very well not have received the Technical Bulletins etc. advising of the 26E6 update. Your dealer will confirm this in a moment by checking the diagnostics (unless they have checked this previously and you have got the 26E6 or they ignored the fact it hadn't).

Presuming you need the 26E6 upgrade it gives you a new exhaust gas temperature sensor and remaps the power delivery curve. This has the result of giving a cleaner exhaust and alters the 'discreet' regeneration profile (i.e. the rough running, high tickover, but no warning lights) to 'little and often' whereas, pre 26E6, it tended to be 'last minute and heavy'.

There is a good possibility that with the 26E6 done and normal use your DPF will unclog fairly quickly.

The best driving profile to use to 'clear the DPF' is not as per the handbook, but to drive at a steady 1800 - 2000rpm in 4th or 5th gear for 10 - 15 - 20 miles. I did this on one occasion when my DPF light came on in May '08 pre 26E6 upgrade and I had called the RAC out. Their engineer hooked up his diagnostic briefcase (bigger than a Laptop PC) and we drove of up the A1(M). As I drove at a steady 1900rpm in 5th, around 60mph, I watched the 'percentage blocked' reading for the DPF drop down from a start point of around 70% to less than 15% over less than 15 miles, when he declared 'OK its clear now'.

It trust this all help and finally may I suggest when you call your dealer you say 'my DPF keep regenerating a lot more that I was expecting and would the be able to check if the 26E6 upgrade has been done'.

Good luck.

Much easier and cheaper to remove the DPF. You cannot just remove it and replace the pipe, the engine software must be modified to take into account the DPF is gone otherwise you will go into limp mode pretty quickly as the sensors will tell it something is wrong with the DPF. There are only 2 tuners that I am aware of in the UK that are able to map out the DPF totally and stop limp mode, failed regens and CELs.

Much easier and cheaper to remove the DPF.

Is it? Surely if roadhawk can get his problem cleared by a 26E6 upgrade then that is 'free' (always assuming this is the problem).

If, however, he has already got the 26E6 done, proposes keeping the car and the dealer recommendation is for a new DPF then yes, I would agree with you to get DPF removed, suitable downpipe put in place, and appropriate remap (to acknowledge DPF removal and give power hike) that would likely then give 220+ bhp; would be the way to go.

You might be OK on this.

As your car was registered in March '08 this will be pre 26E6 upgrade and as it has been 'independently maintained' by the Fire Service they may very well not have received the Technical Bulletins etc. advising of the 26E6 update. Your dealer will confirm this in a moment by checking the diagnostics (unless they have checked this previously and you have got the 26E6 or they ignored the fact it hadn't).

Presuming you need the 26E6 upgrade it gives you a new exhaust gas temperature sensor and remaps the power delivery curve. This has the result of giving a cleaner exhaust and alters the 'discreet' regeneration profile (i.e. the rough running, high tickover, but no warning lights) to 'little and often' whereas, pre 26E6, it tended to be 'last minute and heavy'.

There is a good possibility that with the 26E6 done and normal use your DPF will unclog fairly quickly.

The best driving profile to use to 'clear the DPF' is not as per the handbook, but to drive at a steady 1800 - 2000rpm in 4th or 5th gear for 10 - 15 - 20 miles. I did this on one occasion when my DPF light came on in May '08 pre 26E6 upgrade and I had called the RAC out. Their engineer hooked up his diagnostic briefcase (bigger than a Laptop PC) and we drove of up the A1(M). As I drove at a steady 1900rpm in 5th, around 60mph, I watched the 'percentage blocked' reading for the DPF drop down from a start point of around 70% to less than 15% over less than 15 miles, when he declared 'OK its clear now'.

It trust this all help and finally may I suggest when you call your dealer you say 'my DPF keep regenerating a lot more that I was expecting and would the be able to check if the 26E6 upgrade has been done'.

Good luck.

HI BAHNSTORMER JUST BEEN IN TOUCH WITH SUPPLYING DEALER WHO DID IN FACT CARRY OUT ANY SERVICING ISSUES AND UNFORTUNATELY THE 26E6 AND GAS REGULATOR SENSOR WERE BOTH CHANGED IN FEB 09 AT 18580 MILES.

NOW BEARING IN MIND THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN DOING THIS SINCE THE 2ND I OWNED IT AT 22000 MILES WHERE DO U SUGGEST I GO FROM HERE PLEASE ????????????????????????????/

Much easier and cheaper to remove the DPF. You cannot just remove it and replace the pipe, the engine software must be modified to take into account the DPF is gone otherwise you will go into limp mode pretty quickly as the sensors will tell it something is wrong with the DPF. There are only 2 tuners that I am aware of in the UK that are able to map out the DPF totally and stop limp mode, failed regens and CELs.

HI MANNYO THE TUNERS IVE USED HAVE CONFIRMED THEY CAN CUSTOM MAP THE ECU WITHOUT DPF NO PROBLEM THEY HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE ON A 530D BMW AND REMOVED IT BUT THE WORRY IS IN THE CASE OF THE BMW THE DPF HAD CLOGGED SO BAD IT HAD BACKED UP INTO THE TURBO AND BEING VARIABLE VEINED IT COMPLETELY DESTROYED IT SO REALLY NEED TO GET THIS SORTED ASAP WEIRD HOWEVER ONLY EVER HAD DPF LIGHT ON THE ONCE ??????

THE REGEN IT SEEMS TO BE DOING ON A NIGH ON DAILY BASIS IS SO AGGRESIVE WOULD HAVE THOUGHT A LIGHT OF SOME SORT WOULD COME ON.

Roadhawk - a bit more info please.

You say you do good mileage, but what sort of journey/traffic pattern? What proportion town vs. M'way?

What fuel do you use?

How often do you use 'full throttle'?

How quickly do you want to get this issue sorted? Couple of days or a few weeks?

Perhaps the regeneration is happening nightly as it does not quite clear the soot on a daily basis and thus it is building up.

I think from what you suggest of your 'symptoms' I'd agree you have a (partially) blocked DPF and simply you need to either get it cleared/sorted OR taken off. Do you have any leaning or constraint toward either of these options.

PS> We're a friendly bunch of guys, and gals, on here; no need to use CAPITALS all the time.

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

Roadhawk - a bit more info please.

You say you do good mileage, but what sort of journey/traffic pattern? What proportion town vs. M'way?

What fuel do you use?

How often do you use 'full throttle'?

How quickly do you want to get this issue sorted? Couple of days or a few weeks?

Perhaps the regeneration is happening nightly as it does not quite clear the soot on a daily basis and thus it is building up.

I think from what you suggest of your 'symptoms' I'd agree you have a (partially) blocked DPF and simply you need to either get it cleared/sorted OR taken off. Do you have any leaning or constraint toward either of these options.

PS> We're a friendly bunch of guys, and gals, on here; no need to use CAPITALS all the time.

Hi thanks for getting back to me so rapidly the vehicle is used for private hire not a convential taxi it does a 45 mile round trip twice daily with very little traffic i mainly work nights other than the herts police run twice a day into stevenage so traffic is minimal most of the time im currently running at a 1000 miles a week many airport runs where i will be exceeding 3000 revs

Try to avoid city diesel and supermarket fuel usually bp or total i can be a bit lively on pull offs but equally theres many miles i do cruising at 50/60 mph in top 2 gears

Also dont forget the dpf light has only ever illuminated once in 30k over last 6 months

Since yesterdays remap average mpg gone through the roof even the tuner was surprised that the amount of fuel he increased it by after the 3rd remap did not produce the slightest puff of black smoke its completely over fueling at moment first thing i intend to do is for him to put it back to yesterdays orriginal settings that can be done in mins as he stores all before and afters he even has facility to remote live tune ecu if vehicle was set up to take the signal.

Will post hes web site link in a mo for your future reference

http://www.perfect-touch.co.uk/

If i dont reply after u have i must just pop out for 10 mins to pick up the wife

one theory i did have if the remap was being done whilst a regen was in operation would this have strangled turbo to extent it appears to have within 40 mins of leaving workshop she was over revving and doing her usual nonsense i actually took it back to him whilst this was happening weirdly whilst vehicle was idling it went back to normal condition but by time i pulled of to top of road the revs were back up and she was having her turn again this then lasted about 30 minutes

Edited by roadhawk

You certainly do the mileage but, I'd suspect, it is gentle motoring. IMHO the vRS TDI needs to be 'driven' (can't do this with passengers aboard).

What fuel do you use?

Bahnastormer can u check back a page been editing the first message i sent you please confirm before i nip up road its all visible please

mainly work nights other than the herts police run twice a day into stevenage so traffic is minimal most of the time im currently running at a 1000 miles a week many airport runs where i will be exceeding 3000 revs

Try to avoid city diesel and supermarket fuel usually bp or total i can be a bit lively on pull offs but equally theres many miles i do cruising at 50/60 mph in top 2 gears

Also dont forget the dpf light has only ever illuminated once in 30k over last 6 months

Since yesterdays remap average mpg gone through the roof even the tuner was surprised that the amount of fuel he increased it by after the 3rd remap did not produce the slightest puff of black smoke its completely over fueling at moment first thing i intend to do is for him to put it back to yesterdays orriginal settings that can be done in mins as he stores all before and afters he even has facility to remote live tune ecu if vehicle was set up to take the signal.

Will post hes web site link in a mo for your future reference

http://www.perfect-touch.co.uk/

If i dont reply after u have i must just pop out for 10 mins to pick up the wife

one theory i did have if the remap was being done whilst a regen was in operation would this have strangled turbo to extent it appears to have within 40 mins of leaving workshop she was over revving and doing her usual nonsense i actually took it back to him whilst this was happening weirdly whilst vehicle was idling it went back to normal condition but by time i pulled of to top of road the revs were back up and she was having her turn again this then lasted about 30 minutes

This post has been edited by roadhawk: Today, 09:43

Back to top Report

MultiQuote

Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bahnastormer can u check back a page been editing the first message i sent you please confirm before i nip up road its all visible please

Re posted on no 23 sorry not useed to this thing yet

OK; update post read and understood.

I take it, from earlier posts, that you don't want to go the DPF off route quite yet, therefore we have to get you car running sweetly in OE spec.

Totally agree that you should first of all go back to Perfect Touch and get you ECU map reverted to OE spec. They seem like decent and professional enough guys, although I have not heard from them before and they seem not to 'major' on VAG group stuff; no matter.

Next step is to get you DPF cleaned out as that is what appears to be needed, before going back to you dealer if need be. Are you willing to name who?

To get your DPF cleaned out. Here you need to humour me and go with the flow as there are wide ranging and conflicting views on the subject, all I say is from my own experience of running a vRS TDI for 3 1/2 years and 56,000miles that I sold earlier this week and not (fortunately) having a peep of a problem. I cannot assure results either; sorry.

Use Shell V-Power fuel for the next couple of tanks, that will do you 700-800 miles, and also get some Millers Diesel Plus/Sprot4 used at double strength of 100ml per 50 litre tank.

Next step is to do a couple of DPF cleaning runs, if you can't roll these into your usual miles, as previously mentioned drive at a steady 1800 - 2000rpm in 4th or 5th gear for 15 - 20 miles and then try and use this rev/load/speed configuration in your normal routine.

Actually; try this.

1. Get ECU remapped to OE then

2. get Shell V-Power/Miller in your tank and then

3. call Skoda Assistance (the RAC) and say DPF regen keeps happening, don't want to drive car, could they come out? Get the RAC person to hook up his/her diagnostics and then go for a regeneration run with their PC connected.

Make sense? Good luck?