Mito sport or vRS

A friend of mines looking to buy a new car and has considered the Alfa Mito 1.3 sport, Fabia vRS and Swift sport.

Now we know the vRS is 130bhp and does 0-60 in under 8 seconds standard, has 6 gears,has traction and cruise control(some models) and returns anything between 45-60mpg in the real world. It also pulls a very large amount of torque at 229lb/ft which packs a large punch. The torque of course is all important as it determines how quickly it accelerates

Does anyone know the spec of the Mito sport and swift and would you say these are better options? opinions please :thumbup:

He doesn;t know much about cars and tends to base performance on looks so he reckons the Mito is faster.lol

Edited by newskoda

A friend of mines looking to buy a new car and has considered the Alfa Mito 1.3 sport, Fabia vRS and Swift sport.

Now we know the vRS is 130bhp and does 0-60 in under 8 seconds standard, has 6 gears,has traction and cruise control(some models) and returns anything between 45-60mpg in the real world. It also pulls a very large amount of torque at 229lb/ft which packs a large punch. The torque of course is all important as it determines how quickly it accelerates

Does anyone know the spec of the Mito sport and swift and would you say these are better options? opinions please :thumbup:

He doesn;t know much about cars and tends to base performance on looks so he reckons the Mito is faster.lol

Depends on your budget really mate ?

But asking this on a fabia vrs board, i will go with the fabia vrs

o and i think the alfa mito is **** and spec below

Fuel consumption (urban) 36.7 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 58.9 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 47.9 mpg

0 - 62 mph 11.2 seconds

Top speed 112 mph

Cylinders 4

Valves 16 v

Engine power 95 bhp

Engine torque 95 lbs/ft

o and a unter the body its a grande punto !!! :giggle::rofl: this also = ****

Edited by scottk18

Guest BigJase88

Alfa will be worth an empty packet of crisps when you come to sell

Edited by BigJase88

I think mito will be best for your friend, because the other two will more likely to end up much more ugly when its been wrapped round a pole..

The OP doesn't say which Alfa Mito, and the 1.4 petrol goes all the way upto 170bhp and will eat a standard vRS for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It will also handle better, it sounds better and is much more modern car. But it's only 3 doors and the fuel economy is poor unless you opt for a diesel in which case you really need the 1.6JTD which is basically the same sort of power and performance as a vRS. They also remap as well as a vRS. Personally, I think it's fugly too.

The Suzuki Swift is a great little car, but it's damed and blessed by all the same things the Mito is. The one you want is petrol, with pants fuel economy.

The reason Mk I vRS' are worth what they are used, even after all this time out of production, is that you can have your cake and eat it. It's reasonably fast (it FEELS very fast) and it's also exceptionally economical, cheap to insure and pretty well made.

If I had to choose again, I'd but a SEAT Ibiza PD160 TDI, but that's just because I don't want to remap mine!

Depends on your budget really mate ?

But asking this on a fabia vrs board, i will go with the fabia vrs

o and i think the alfa mito is **** and spec below

Fuel consumption (urban) 36.7 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 58.9 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 47.9 mpg

0 - 62 mph 11.2 seconds

Top speed 112 mph

Cylinders 4

Valves 16 v

Engine power 95 bhp

Engine torque 95 lbs/ft

o and a unter the body its a grande punto !!! :giggle::rofl: this also = ****

I would beg to differ. I have had a grande punto sporting for over 100k now, (and had the vRS for 80k) The punto has been more reliable than the vRS. Mine is mapped, and due to the better handling/brakes etc than the vRS can keep up with vrs_dta's 200bhp vRS with no problem.(this has been proven at meets :giggle: ) Its also better equipped, blue and me + much more as standard, and safer, NCAP5 ... I could go on....

so lets have your "opinion" that the grande punto is S*** as JUST your opinion eh?

If itys the 1.3 JTD mito, then yes the vRS will have better stats, fiat engines are however "class leading" they invented commnrail, (which VAG has now adopted), and indeed sell the 1.9 to vauxhall and saab, a and the new range of multiair engines are so impressive they have deleted the deisel from the sporting spec, as the 1.4 multiair is more efficient.

here is the spec. compair this to the vRS (old noisey all torque in one lump PD engine), this spec is also available in the mito.

Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir 3 door Engine Data

Cubic Capacity

1368 cc

Cylinders

Valves

16v

Power

135@5000 bhp/rpm

Torque

152@1750 lb/ft

Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir 3 door Performance

Maximum Speed

127 mph - (Man)

0 - 62 mph (acceleration)

8.5 seconds - (Man)

Fuel Consumption and Capacities

Fuel Type

- Unleaded Petrol

Fuel Capacity

45 litres / 9.9 gallons

Cost To Fill Tank

£52.60

Fiat Punto Evo Fuel Consumption :: (Sporting 1.4 MultiAir Manual)

Urban Fuel

38.7 mpg

Extra Urban

61.4 mpg

Combined

50.4 mpg

Theoretical Range to Empty

499 miles

Fuel cost per 12,000 miles

£1,265 or £0.11 per mile

Cost of Fuel used above

£1.169 - Unleaded Petrol

Cost per Gallon of Unleaded Petrol

£5.31 - Unleaded Petrol

same engine at higher spec also available in the mito..

Fiat Punto Evo Abarth 1.4 16v MultiAir 3 door Performance

Fiat Punto Evo Abarth 1.4 16v MultiAir 3 door Engine Data

Cubic Capacity

1368 cc

Cylinders

Valves

16v

Power

165@5500 bhp/rpm

Torque

184@2250 lb/ft

Maximum Speed

133 mph - (Man)

7.9 seconds - (Man)

Fuel Type

- Unleaded Petrol

Fuel Capacity

45 litres / 9.9 gallons

Cost To Fill Tank

£52.60

Fiat Punto Evo Fuel Consumption :: (Abarth 1.4 16v MultiAir Manual)

Urban Fuel

34.8 mpg

Extra Urban

58.8 mpg

Combined

47.1 mpg

466 miles

£1,354 or £0.11 per mile

Cost of Fuel used above

£1.169 - Unleaded Petrol

£5.31 - Unleaded Petrol

this is my OPINION..... I have owned the grande punto from new and covered over 100k in it, I owned the vRS from new and covered over 80k in it. The punto is a better car in every area, performance, fuel economy, saftey, equipment, reliability,handling. I have a total of over 180,000 miles in both combined on which to base MY opinion :dull:

I would beg to differ. I have had a grande punto sporting for over 100k now, (and had the vRS for 80k) The punto has been more reliable than the vRS. Mine is mapped, and due to the better handling/brakes etc than the vRS can keep up with vrs_dta's 200bhp vRS with no problem.(this has been proven at meets :giggle: ) Its also better equipped, blue and me + much more as standard, and safer, NCAP5 ... I could go on....

so lets have your "opinion" that the grande punto is S*** as JUST your opinion eh?

If itys the 1.3 JTD mito, then yes the vRS will have better stats, fiat engines are however "class leading" they invented commnrail, (which VAG has now adopted), and indeed sell the 1.9 to vauxhall and saab, a and the new range of multiair engines are so impressive they have deleted the deisel from the sporting spec, as the 1.4 multiair is more efficient.

here is the spec. compair this to the vRS (old noisey all torque in one lump PD engine), this spec is also available in the mito.

Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir 3 door Engine Data

Cubic Capacity

1368 cc

Cylinders

Valves

16v

Power

135@5000 bhp/rpm

Torque

152@1750 lb/ft

Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir 3 door Performance

Maximum Speed

127 mph - (Man)

8.5 seconds - (Man)

Fuel Consumption and Capacities

Fuel Type

- Unleaded Petrol

Fuel Capacity

45 litres / 9.9 gallons

Cost To Fill Tank

£52.60

Fiat Punto Evo Fuel Consumption :: (Sporting 1.4 MultiAir Manual)

Urban Fuel

38.7 mpg

Extra Urban

61.4 mpg

Combined

50.4 mpg

499 miles

£1,265 or £0.11 per mile

Cost of Fuel used above

£1.169 - Unleaded Petrol

£5.31 - Unleaded Petrol

same engine at higher spec also available in the mito..

Fiat Punto Evo Abarth 1.4 16v MultiAir 3 door Performance

Fiat Punto Evo Abarth 1.4 16v MultiAir 3 door Engine Data

Cubic Capacity

1368 cc

Cylinders

Valves

16v

Power

165@5500 bhp/rpm

Torque

184@2250 lb/ft

Maximum Speed

133 mph - (Man)

7.9 seconds - (Man)

Fuel Type

- Unleaded Petrol

Fuel Capacity

45 litres / 9.9 gallons

Cost To Fill Tank

£52.60

Fiat Punto Evo Fuel Consumption :: (Abarth 1.4 16v MultiAir Manual)

Urban Fuel

34.8 mpg

Extra Urban

58.8 mpg

Combined

47.1 mpg

466 miles

£1,354 or £0.11 per mile

Cost of Fuel used above

£1.169 - Unleaded Petrol

£5.31 - Unleaded Petrol

this is my OPINION..... I have owned the grande punto from new and covered over 100k in it, I owned the vRS from new and covered over 80k in it. The punto is a better car in every area, performance, fuel economy, saftey, equipment, reliability,handling. I have a total of over 180,000 miles in both combined on which to base MY opinion :dull:

dont go by the 7.9 s to 60, thats the same as a fiesta st and it just dropped off in my mirror, and my vrs is standard :)

The OP doesn't say which Alfa Mito, and the 1.4 petrol goes all the way upto 170bhp and will eat a standard vRS for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It will also handle better, it sounds better and is much more modern car. But it's only 3 doors and the fuel economy is poor unless you opt for a diesel in which case you really need the 1.6JTD which is basically the same sort of power and performance as a vRS. They also remap as well as a vRS. Personally, I think it's fugly too.

The Suzuki Swift is a great little car, but it's damed and blessed by all the same things the Mito is. The one you want is petrol, with pants fuel economy.

The reason Mk I vRS' are worth what they are used, even after all this time out of production, is that you can have your cake and eat it. It's reasonably fast (it FEELS very fast) and it's also exceptionally economical, cheap to insure and pretty well made.

If I had to choose again, I'd but a SEAT Ibiza PD160 TDI, but that's just because I don't want to remap mine!

Fail, the OP states that it's a 1.3 Sport Mito that their friend is considering.

I don't know much about the different specs of mito but my mum has a 1.4 mito has been tunned by alfas tuning company it's putting out about 185 bhp. Although I love my fabia vrs the alfa just has better class better interior, again this is just my mums she spent a crap load top spec job brand new like 26 thousand, I paid 6 grand for mine, gun to my head if you asked me is the mito worth the 20 grand extra than mine, I don't think so, I really don't know what the lower specs are like, but I do love my mothers mito!!

They are ****,

you have just got a lucky with yours,

and as for it been fast dont make it a good car :no: , the build quallity is cheap, least the mito is better built i suppose,

I'd like to see a GENUINE 0-60 of 7.9 in a standard fabia vrs. Yes we have all read the autocar reviews of thier 7.1 or some figure they got. Dont get me wrong, I love my car, but it isnt designed for traffic light dashes, so lets leave that to the little french car enthusiasts :).

I'll reiterate, OP is implying his friend does not know much about cars and thinks looks = performance.

I personally think a 1.3 Mito is more suited to his friends tastes/requirements than a 'livelier' trigger happy lift off oversteer SSS, or slightly less livelier but will pull like a train and less visually attractive vrs.

Edited by JLneonhug

Add a Citroen DS3 and a last model Ibiza FR TDi to that group, then tell him to go get test drives of the lot of them.

5th gear tested the Mito 1.4 twincharged thing around the Anglesey circuit vs the DS3 and the DS3 won. Less overall power but a bigger displacement, more responsive engine and a nice chassis.

http://fwd.five.tv/fifth-gear/videos/shoot-outs/citroen-ds3-vs-alfa-mito-dogfight

Though actually, now I've found it, this is a more amusing review (only just figured out RPM TV is a South African programme)...

J.

Fancy a Mito Cloverleaf (170bhp I think) - local dealer has got a used one for sale but it's £20k :o .

I've heard Fiat reliability is improving but not quite sure whether I'm ready to tip my toe in the water yet.

I've just bought a Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 Multiair and I can't recommend them enough. The stats stated by Sharkrider demonstrate the performance and frugality of the new Sporting Mulitair, and that's just on paper. As I say, I really recommend it as an alternative to vrs.

I'm not faulting my vrs though - it's been such a cracking little car over the past 3.5 years. Never let me down in 118,000 miles.

I've just bought a Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 Multiair and I can't recommend them enough. The stats stated by Sharkrider demonstrate the performance and frugality of the new Sporting Mulitair, and that's just on paper. As I say, I really recommend it as an alternative to vrs.

I'm not faulting my vrs though - it's been such a cracking little car over the past 3.5 years. Never let me down in 118,000 miles.

Found the Fifth Gear review:

Bandwagon jumper :rofl: - have you figured out why your '56 plate car has black doorhandles yet?

your just jealous of my leather lol :D and silver handles wernt set in stone until the 07 plate cars as people on here will tell you lol :p

:D P.S i actually prefer the black handles and would pic them every day over the colour ones. call me crazy lol but i like the contrast and think it would be too much silver lol

Edited by wilsy7