Realistic expections for performance

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone could give me any idea of real world fuel consumption. I know driving style has an impact of course, but realistically what sort of mpg could I expect from;

1) 1.8tsi Superb

2) 2.0tdi cr 140 Superb

3) 2.0tdi cr 170 Superb

?

Also, is there much of a noticeable power difference between the tdi 140 and the 170? Does the 140 need working hard?

Much appreciated

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone could give me any idea of real world fuel consumption. I know driving style has an impact of course, but realistically what sort of mpg could I expect from;

1) 1.8tsi Superb

2) 2.0tdi cr 140 Superb

3) 2.0tdi cr 170 Superb

?

Also, is there much of a noticeable power difference between the tdi 140 and the 170? Does the 140 need working hard?

Much appreciated

I'm getting about 29mpg around town in my 1.8Tsi - that is worked out myself, not from the computer. My Maxidot said it was about 30mpg, so it wasn't far off.

It said I was getting 42mpg on a recent long run.

It is a little thirsty after coming from a 1.3 Yaris, but the performance and refinement make up for it big style!

is there much of a noticeable power difference between the tdi 140 and the 170? Does the 140 need working hard?

In short, yes. The 170 is noticeably more powerful. More so than the figures suggest ( 18% increase in horsepower and about 8% increase in torque)and I have driven both.

I would point out though that these engines are well known for their variable power outputs. +/- 10% isn't unheard of!

I would recommend the 170 if you can afford it, I've had one and I'm waiting for another to be built so I'm speaking from experience.

Fuel consumption: Overall my 170 hatch (manual) would always return low to mid 40's mpg driven normally on a mixture of urban and A roads.

I would expect the 140 to do slightly better (2 or 3 mpg). I wouldn't say the 140 needs working hard, it's a perfectly good engine, just that the 170 gives more performance for only a little extra cost.

Mark.

I was convinced I was going to buy a 140CR estate due to the slightly better fuel economy, cheaper RFL, insurance and of course it's £1K cheaper.

HOWEVER after driving a 140CR Yeti I was seriously underwhelmed with the torque (compared to my current 130PD MKI Superb)

I then took out a 170 Superb estate and although it still lacked the low down torque of the PD, it was a lot better! so that was what I ordered.

There's only one engine of choice for the Superb...............yes you guessed right, the 170CR! This motor has the best all round performance but is still slight underpowered, more at lower revs.

The 140CR will be even more underpowered as will the 1.8TSi and the TSI will eat fuel.

My 170CR estate with a little under 4k miles will return, on average early 40s mpg, and has enough grunt - motorwqy driving is excellent.

Edited by Chubbs

The first 3,300 miles in my CR140 Elegance have been at an average (actual, not per display) 48.3mpg. Pretty good considering the longest runs were made fully loaded.

Best average for one journey I've seen on the display was a gentle evening journey from Hampshire to Watford and back at steady 65ish (i was in no hurry and was frankly interested in how high I could get the mileage on the display) and was rewarded with a smidge over 60mpg. Wouldn't class that as real world driving though!

Meering

1800 miles on my 140CR Estate (SE) & thats showing just over 51 on the MFD, real is about 49.5ish. Thats about half/half urban roads & Motorway (M60, so some of that is @ <20mph at times grrr).

Acording to the Skoda website, the max torque is @ 1750-2500rpm, which is bang on for the motorway, at 70, its doing about 1800rpm.

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone could give me any idea of real world fuel consumption.

My (brim-to-brim) figures for my 170CR DSG Elegance Twin-Door (16.02.2009 to 16.08.2010) are:

Miles driven: 12,806

Fuel Used: 310.43 Imperial Gallons

Overall real consumption: 41.25 MPG

Best ever tankful: 47.58 MPG

Worst ever tankful: 37.19 MPG

HTH :)

Ray

My (brim-to-brim) figures for my 170CR DSG Elegance Twin-Door (16.02.2009 to 16.08.2010) are:

Miles driven: 12,806

Fuel Used: 310.43 Imperial Gallons

Overall real consumption: 41.25 MPG

Best ever tankful: 47.58 MPG

Worst ever tankful: 37.19 MPG

HTH :)

Ray

What kind of driving do you do, as this worries me a bit. :o I've got an 80 mile commute, which is motorway for the majority of the journey, so I'd hope for better averages :yes:

What kind of driving do you do, as this worries me a bit. :o I've got an 80 mile commute, which is motorway for the majority of the journey, so I'd hope for better averages :yes:

The driving is what I'd refer to as "mainly urban, occasional long trips, little motorway involved."

To qualify that, I've never taken any notice of the MaxiDot consumption display - it's always optimistic, so I've always accurately recorded brim-to-brim figures, giving a true average consumption using Excel. My best ever tankful was part of a Black Forest holiday and my worst when I was frequently running my sister-in-law up to North London to visit her husband during his liver transplant.

My wife is the main driver of the car and is a very good driver. When I get behind the wheel I'm a little more "progressive" than Jean, but my thrashing around days are (almost) over now! To summarise, we do more trips to Tunbridge Wells (8 miles) than we do to Eastbourne (30 miles) or North Wales (330 miles). I'm happy with the figures I'm getting, but then I bought the car because I wanted it, not for its economy! I would expect your motorway commute to easily give you better figures than mine. HTH :)

Ray

My average is 43mpg it has remained pretty much the same over the last 18 months I do find that the cold weather hurts the average quite a bit but 42-44 mpg average over a tank is consistant for us , the car now does 50miles per day on motorway and a road but these are busy at peak times.

The manual which we have is more economical than the DSG though