Telephone pre-installation

davehutch

What are the differences between Universal Telephone Pre-installation GSM III and ...GSM II?

I see the Elegance only has GSM II so wondred what I shouldn't bother looking for once it arrives.

Cheers

GSM III is a system that uses rSAP, normally only a Nokia compatible system. The car is the phone with this system, and it just borrows info from the SIM card in your phone. Among things that this system does that GSM II doesn't is lets you red sms messages in the cars display, it uses an eksternal antenna and so on.

GSM II just connects to your phone and uses your phones antenna (unless you get GSM II with a cradle on the dash) . Contacts etc. is transfered to your car, so you can navigate through last calls, missed calls etc. from the MFD in the instrument cluster. Connects with most phones.

I have a nokia 6303 running s40 software and a yeti elegance with the latest Bluetooth. Both work together extremely well. Contacts and call lists are always synchronised perfectly, calls are crystal clear and music streaming from the phone works well and even that sounds better than I would ever have imagined.

I also have an iPad which has music stored on it while the iPad will connect to the yeti via bluetooth and stream music it can not be connected at the same time as my phone.

Edited by danbarnes

GSM III is a system that uses rSAP, normally only a Nokia compatible system. The car is the phone with this system, and it just borrows info from the SIM card in your phone. Among things that this system does that GSM II doesn't is lets you red sms messages in the cars display, it uses an eksternal antenna and so on.

GSM II just connects to your phone and uses your phones antenna (unless you get GSM II with a cradle on the dash) . Contacts etc. is transfered to your car, so you can navigate through last calls, missed calls etc. from the MFD in the instrument cluster. Connects with most phones.

Sounds great. I have an iPhone 4 so can't wait to try it all out.

RSAP is not just Nokia, its a common misunderstanding. Virtually every handset available today supports RSAP, except for the iPhone and some Android based phones. I have my office Nokia, and my HTC TD2 (Windows Mobile 6.5) phone paired without any problems to my 2008 GSMIII equiped superb.

• 3 months later...

RSAP is not just Nokia, its a common misunderstanding. Virtually every handset available today supports RSAP, except for the iPhone and some Android based phones. I have my office Nokia, and my HTC TD2 (Windows Mobile 6.5) phone paired without any problems to my 2008 GSMIII equiped superb.

Hello!

I recently bought a Superb (2007) that has a phone cradle on the dash. How do I know, if the car has GSM pre-installation?

Thanks,

Nuno.

Interesting stuff. I notice that the Yeti manual talks a lot about optional phone cradles, but I guess most folk just connect via Bluetooth and keep the phone in a pocket, etc. It's what I do, and seems to work well, for me, usually (Nokia 6303i). I wonder if anyone has a cradle installed, and pros/cons?

What about contacts in your address book with more then one phone (for example mobile and work phone for one entry). In cases like this can you see all tel. numbers assigned to the contact with GSM II.

In the Bolero manual I found this:

Displaying information relating to a phone book entry 5)

– Press the function key on the right next to the phone book entry
you which to display. The call numbers stored under this entry are
displayed.

– If you press on the entry of a call number, the connection to this call
number will be established.

5) Only valid for the universal Phone preinstallation GSM III.

But it's only valid for GSM III. How is this done with GSM II?

What about contacts in your address book with more then one phone (for example mobile and work phone for one entry). In cases like this can you see all tel. numbers assigned to the contact with GSM II.

In the Bolero manual I found this:

Displaying information relating to a phone book entry 5)

– Press the function key on the right next to the phone book entry
you which to display. The call numbers stored under this entry are
displayed.

– If you press on the entry of a call number, the connection to this call
number will be established.

5) Only valid for the universal Phone preinstallation GSM III.

But it's only valid for GSM III. How is this done with GSM II?

I pretty certain that even though I use a columbus, it is the same with GSM11

chose a name, then chose what number etc. They are not listed separately, like they were on my previous Octavia BT oem system.

Mike

I pretty certain that even though I use a columbus, it is the same with GSM11

chose a name, then chose what number etc. They are not listed separately, like they were on my previous Octavia BT oem system.

Mike

Cheers Mike. It wasn't clear from the Bolero manual.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear JonA,

Does the Cradle supply conection to the external antenna in a new Skoda Superb or new Skoda Octavia?

Do you also know if any of the iphone cradle available (ATC600035 or ATC600040) is compatible with the Iphone 4 ?

Regards

Interesting stuff. I notice that the Yeti manual talks a lot about optional phone cradles, but I guess most folk just connect via Bluetooth and keep the phone in a pocket, etc. It's what I do, and seems to work well, for me, usually (Nokia 6303i). I wonder if anyone has a cradle installed, and pros/cons?

I've also got a Nokia 6303. I tend to lay it down in that tray in the central console just under the Bolero and the heater controls. Works perfectly. Can't see the point of a cradle to clutter up the dash.

I've also got a Nokia 6303. I tend to lay it down in that tray in the central console just under the Bolero and the heater controls. Works perfectly. Can't see the point of a cradle to clutter up the dash.

With my recently departed Octavia I left the radio /phone system switched on and with phone always in pocket I noticed that soon after entering the vehicle and turning ignition switch, everything started working re phone with no further action on my part. Didn't even bother to put phone in a tray. Thought that was wonderful. Will do same again when Yeti arrives.

With my recently departed Octavia I left the radio /phone system switched on and with phone always in pocket I noticed that soon after entering the vehicle and turning ignition switch, everything started working re phone with no further action on my part. Didn't even bother to put phone in a tray. Thought that was wonderful. Will do same again when Yeti arrives.

I agree you don't have to do anything once you've made the bluetooth connection the first time (and I'm grateful to somebody on here who told me how to do that ... sorry I've forgotten who it was). Just climb in the car with 'phone switched on and the car does the rest. I just feel more comfortable with empty pockets while I'm driving, otherwise Id do the same as you. I tend to take my wallet and put it in the glove box or central box too.

Only reason to have one would be if you use it for sat nav or it needs charging.

Mike

I Think the biggest advantage is to have the phone connected to the external antenna in the roof improving the signal and also eliminating the interferences with the Radio system. At least, in the Audis and VW they connect to the external antenna.

I would apreciate that someone in this forum could confirm that the cradle connects to the roof antenna.

I Think the biggest advantage is to have the phone connected to the external antenna in the roof improving the signal and also eliminating the interferences with the Radio system. At least, in the Audis and VW they connect to the external antenna.

I would apreciate that someone in this forum could confirm that the cradle connects to the roof antenna.

Mmmm, I've no idea how it works - born again technophobe - all I know is that it does. I've had no problems with the strength or clarity of the signal. Only thing I'm slightly curious about ... where is the microphone? Presumably (though I really am a technological ignoramus) there is a mic somewhere in the car that is picking up my voice when I speak?

Mmmm, I've no idea how it works - born again technophobe - all I know is that it does. I've had no problems with the strength or clarity of the signal. Only thing I'm slightly curious about ... where is the microphone? Presumably (though I really am a technological ignoramus) there is a mic somewhere in the car that is picking up my voice when I speak?

I was the same - no signal problems with phone in pocket - and we live in a rural area. Like you I realised fairly soon that there must be an in car mic but never fathomed out where it was. (Octavia)

Only thing I'm slightly curious about ... where is the microphone? Presumably (though I really am a technological ignoramus) there is a mic somewhere in the car that is picking up my voice when I speak?

by the reading lights in the grille......

Mike

by the reading lights in the grille......

Mike

Just next to the micro TV camera that transmits everything you get up to in your Yeti

back to your wife ! :sweat:

Just next to the micro TV camera that transmits everything you get up to in your Yeti

back to your wife ! :sweat:

No, I spotted that one and disconnected it!

I was the same - no signal problems with phone in pocket - and we live in a rural area. Like you I realised fairly soon that there must be an in car mic but never fathomed out where it was. (Octavia)

I would guess that it is in the rear view mirror. :p