Sudden loss of power on the motorway

Hello All,

I'm hoping one of you can help me with the following please in my Fabia VRS,

Just got back from a 200 mile drive all of which was motorway. Just over half way through the car lost about 80 - 90% of its power. From what I could tell at the time the Engine Management System cut the turbo off leaving me with what I can only describe as the acceleration of a one litre Austin Metro (thinking back to my student days). It did this for about 10 miles where I then stopped at the services. After a ten minute break I started the car and carried on the journey, all the power had returned and the familiar 'whoosh' was again present and the rest of the journey was uneventful.

I'm obviously going to keep an eye on this for a few days to ensure it doesn't happen again. As it has never happened before I am curious if anyone can give me an eye opener or a heads up in case it is the start of something more serious.

I'm not sure if it is relevant but I had it remapped about 2 years ago, however I don't hammer it or thrash it in any way.

Thanks in advance to all who can help.

i had a similar issue with my old octavia 1.9tdi, it was the MAF (air mass sensor) it had the syptom of sudden loss of power and engine would not rev over 3000rpm

i had a similar issue with my old octavia 1.9tdi, it was the MAF (air mass sensor) it had the syptom of sudden loss of power and engine would not rev over 3000rpm

Thanks bluecar that would make sense from my limited knowledge, was it a one off or did it occur frequently? Im led to believe a new one for Fabia VRS is about 300 quid.

Thanks bluecar that would make sense from my limited knowledge, was it a one off or did it occur frequently? Im led to believe a new one for Fabia VRS is about 300 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-FLOW-MASS-SENSOR-METER-AUDI-A3-A6-VW-GOLF-BORA-LT_W0QQitemZ290473791606QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10372QQcmdZViewItem

I've done "nowt" research on that item. So I wouldn't swear it was the right one. However, £300 looks a bit expensive.

Before you buy another MAF, try unplugging the current one and inspecting the electrical contacts. Or even unplugging it, then replugging it say 3-4 times. The contacts on the plug/sockets aren't gold plated ISTR. So maybe a bit of corrosion is creeping in.

J.

i paid bout £80 exchange from euro car parts for mine although it wasnt a cheap one genuine bosch replacement

its surprising what difference a new one of these makes.

as for this being the problem i cudnt say for sure like as said above vcds would be recommended to highlight any issues regarding air flow and turbo etc........

I had the same issue and had a few suggestions put forward from servicing the car oil/filters etc to replacing the MAF, the service didn't help and eventually changed the maf which was about £90 i think. I also found that switching the ignition off then back on temporarily sorted the problem however i wouldn't advise doing it at 70 mph..