Second speed indicator on Yeti Information Display

Moonman2

You can code it to Australia, I think, but it still isn't switchable, other than through the VCDS.

Yes coding the car to be an Aussie gives you a HUGE speedo option as a new additional menu "layer" in the standard Maxidot trip computer scroll menu:

imgp6365z.jpg

(And with all the scams and overcharging for hire cars and insurance, I much prefer driving my own car on holiday rather than queuing for hours in airports!

Chris

I quite agree. Unfortunately I cannot get my Yeti into the hold of the Newcastle - Nice Easyjet flight, the charge for excess weight is quite prohibitive, so I have to hire a car. Why is it when you hire a car that the firm you use always has a queue whilst the other firms don't? Why also does it take 10 minutes per person to collect your car when you have pre-paid, given all your info when booking etc? Hey ho.

I quite agree. Unfortunately I cannot get my Yeti into the hold of the Newcastle - Nice Easyjet flight, the charge for excess weight is quite prohibitive, so I have to hire a car. Why is it when you hire a car that the firm you use always has a queue whilst the other firms don't? Why also does it take 10 minutes per person to collect your car when you have pre-paid, given all your info when booking etc? Hey ho.

Drive to Hull, ferry to Rotterdam, and drive to Nice - so much more fun than queueing at poxy airports and car hire firms.

The Citroën Picasso has a digital display showing only mph. There doesn't seem to be any indication of kph and I think one of the Toyota models has a similar mph only display.

This suggests that an mph only display is permissible.

The Citroën Picasso has a digital display showing only mph. There doesn't seem to be any indication of kph and I think one of the Toyota models has a similar mph only display.

This suggests that an mph only display is permissible.

It depends on what is shown on the actual speedo. The C & U Regs require any car gaining Type Approval in the UK to show both MPH and KPH in some manner. Most vehicle do this by having both figures on the speedo, but since the Yeti does have such markings then the Maxidot has to have the KPH.

I have had a quick look at the C&U Directive 75/443/EEC Annexe 11 and section 5 says that member states are permitted to require speeds to be displayed in both kph and mph. The Directive itself does not (at least in the bits I have read) there to be a dual display.

So, does anybody know if the UK has taken up this option and introduced UK requirements for a dual display?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps worth mentioning that during my recent three week+ trip to France, I found no problem with either the lack of 30/50/70 mph markings on the speedo or with reading kph speed purely off the maxidot. I agree that the old speedo markings with significant UK speeds and with kph as well were better, and that losing them seems a pretty petty cash-saving move (how much cheaper can these new versions really be?), but in practice it's no big deal.

I have the opposite problem. I have kph in the speedo and mph in the maxidot. I would swear that I used to have kph in both at the beginning, but after some tinkering with the maxidot I have this problem. I want only kph and I don't intend to drive to the UK. Why is this option active even on non UK cars?