Is it worth running Nokian WR G2's all year round in UK weather?

Hi guys,

I have a spare set of 16" wheels for my BMW (Z4), I bought them specifically for a set of snow tyres...

However after mulling it over i have been thinking that maybe its worth changing the current 18" tyres to Nokia WR G2's and running them all year round???

Summer is crap at best in the UK anyway....

Anyone have any opinions about running the Nokians purely for winter only compared to all year round????

The reason i ask is because the current 18"'s need some new rubber atm...

Cheers

Hi guys,

I have a spare set of 16" wheels for my BMW (Z4), I bought them specifically for a set of snow tyres...

However after mulling it over i have been thinking that maybe its worth changing the current 18" tyres to Nokia WR G2's and running them all year round???

Summer is crap at best in the UK anyway....

Anyone have any opinions about running the Nokians purely for winter only compared to all year round????

The reason i ask is because the current 18"'s need some new rubber atm...

Cheers

I ran Vredestein Quatrac 3 tyres all year round both on my old Octavia and current V50. No problem in summer at all, wee bit higher fuel consumption due to the more "knobbly" tread. Try riding a mountain bike with knobbly tyres then slicks you'll see why.

Quatrac 3 are billed as all season not sure if that is the same with the Nokians.

I ran Vredestein Quatrac 3 tyres all year round both on my old Octavia and current V50. No problem in summer at all, wee bit higher fuel consumption due to the more "knobbly" tread. Try riding a mountain bike with knobbly tyres then slicks you'll see why.

Quatrac 3 are billed as all season not sure if that is the same with the Nokians.

Were the Quatrac 3 any good in the snow lastyear?

Cheers

I ran WR (not G2) for a full year (winter, summer, winter) and now have summers on.

They were fine and I will be running them again this winter. There is about 5.5mm left on them, which isn't too bad, but personally I would say the WR are better as a winter only tyre as they are not cheap and you will go through them more quickly than summer tyres.

I know Quatracs are classed as all-season tyres, but work perfectly well in winter. I have a feeling the G2s are as well. I'm sure they work perfectly well in winter and have been designed to work best in slush, rather than deep snow and ice.

When the tyres are new and you run them in summer, you will find the the tread squirm due to the increased tread depth. New summer tyres have 7-8mm tread and new winters can have 10-12mm on them.

Edited by Jim H

I know Quatracs are classed as all-season tyres, but work perfectly well in winter. I have a feeling the G2s are as well. I'm sure they work perfectly well in winter and have been designed to work best in slush, rather than deep snow and ice.

When the tyres are new and you run them in summer, you will find the the tread squirm due to the increased tread depth. New summer tyres have 7-8mm tread and new winters can have 10-12mm on them.

Yes the Quatrac 3's worked well. I drive mostly on rural roads as well as up and down farm and forestry roads. Good on snow, ice and dry sub zero road surfaces. Also went through the Dalbeattie forest rally stage in my old Octavia after about 80 rally cars when it was minus 8. I cover around 24000m a year so gave them a good work out. Would get around 10000m from the fronts then put them on the back so hard to say exactly how long they lasted.

I acctually swapped to 16" Toyo Snow Proxes for my trip to france. 2000 mile round trip and they were ideal. ride was far better than the 18s and no difference on economy. wasn't pusshing it through corners just motorway driving maily but they gripped as well as made no difference.

im concidering getting some all season and some winter tyres as summer tyres just dont like the rain we get.