DSG - Problems removing key from ignition

nawd2

I have had my 1.2TSi DSG for about 10 weeks now, and from very early on I have had frequent trouble removing the key from the ignition. The dealer was not able to find a problem and I have since found a workaround, but I would be interested to know whether this is a common problem, or something that could indicate a bigger problem later on.

I found that when the key was stuck in the ignition, I could release it by turning on the ignition (not starting the engine), moving the DSG out of Park, then back to Park and finally turning off the iginition, after which the key would rotate the extra notch to allow it to be removed. I have now developed a habit of always putting the car into Park, out of Park, back in to Park, then turning off and I never have a problem. Actually, this evening I tried putting on the handbrake, then putting it into Park, then turning off and that worked, but that could be a coincidence - I will need to check it out over the next few days.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Thanks

I have had my 1.2TSi DSG for about 10 weeks now, and from very early on I have had frequent trouble removing the key from the ignition. The dealer was not able to find a problem and I have since found a workaround, but I would be interested to know whether this is a common problem, or something that could indicate a bigger problem later on.

I found that when the key was stuck in the ignition, I could release it by turning on the ignition (not starting the engine), moving the DSG out of Park, then back to Park and finally turning off the iginition, after which the key would rotate the extra notch to allow it to be removed. I have now developed a habit of always putting the car into Park, out of Park, back in to Park, then turning off and I never have a problem. Actually, this evening I tried putting on the handbrake, then putting it into Park, then turning off and that worked, but that could be a coincidence - I will need to check it out over the next few days.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Thanks

We have the same model/gearbox, never had a problem like that, sounds like a bad electrical contact somewhere.

The problem is that you didn't push the handle completely forward into the P-position.

You need to hear the 'click'.

Solution:

Push the handle forward to the Parking-position until the click.

Turn the ignition-key one notch to the right (clockwise) – You might need to turn/twiggle the steering-wheel a little bit.

Turn the key back.

And take it out.

Regards.

Yes, I have had this on my Superb,.. I am sure it is due to being a bit too quick going into park and trying to take the key out, before the system responds.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will try making sure that it is fully in Park, but also taking my time to give the system a chance - I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will try making sure that it is fully in Park, but also taking my time to give the system a chance - I will let you know how it turns out.

I've had the same problem and the way I found around the problem is to pull the handbrake up a further notch. I haven't been pulling the brake up to the top as not to "stretch" the cable, but it seems if I don't pull it up sufficiently I can't get the key out. Maybe co-incidence, but it has worked for me. I thought it may have been some safety feature!

I've had the same problem and the way I found around the problem is to pull the handbrake up a further notch. I haven't been pulling the brake up to the top as not to "stretch" the cable, but it seems if I don't pull it up sufficiently I can't get the key out. Maybe co-incidence, but it has worked for me. I thought it may have been some safety feature!

Not sure this will make any difference.. what if you don't put the handbrake on at all..?

When I park on our drive, which is flat, I never put the handbrake on, but have no problem taking the key out with the gearlever in Park.

I had to take a while to comprehend why I could not get the key out, of der DSG

To put it in Army (once upon a time ) Jargon

Concurrent activity.

Or perhaps the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing??

Anyway

I was attempting to remove the key with my right hand before I had properly snicked the gear lever into Park.

and a tousand miles later bytimes i still do

I'll get there.

Cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg

I never had this problem with my Octavia DSG until this morning.

In a rush this morning; parked; engine off; can't get key out; oops! not in P; selected P; key still won't come out; ignition on and off again; key still won't come out; ignition on, out of P, reselect P, ignition off; hey presto - key comes out.

Then I realised what I had done differently!

You have to select P before you switch off the engine - which is normally what I always do - just not this morning.

• Like 1

I agree with the other posters. there is a safety interlock which means the key cannot be removed without the gear lever in park. I always put the lever in park, turn off the ignition and the key has always come out first time.

Ian

• Like 1

The problem is that you didn't push the handle completely forward into the P-position.

You need to hear the 'click'.

Solution:

Push the handle forward to the Parking-position until the click.

Turn the ignition-key one notch to the right (clockwise) – You might need to turn/twiggle the steering-wheel a little bit.

Turn the key back.

And take it out.

Regards.

Well folks, I have always put the box into Park before trying to turn off the engine and remove the key, but still had the problem, and I was sure that I had always pushed the handle completely forward. Nevertheless I thought I would try pushing it again after having applied the handbrake (i.e. Stop car, into Park, apply handbrake, then push stick forward to make sure it is fully in Park, then turn off engine). What do you know, there is a little bit of movement in the stick (but no noticeable click) and the key comes out no bother. I don't think I push the stick any harder than previously, so whether it is something to do with pushing the stick AFTER applying the handbrake, or just the fact that having taken time to apply the handbrake, the system is now ready to be put fully in Park (see jakeyc's first reply). Perhaps I will try just doing things slowly and see if that is really the issue - trying to go into Park before the box is ready. That might explain why I didn't notice it right from new - perhaps I was doing things more slowly while I got used to the car? Anyway, early days, but it seems to be OK!

Thanks again for the help...

The correct order is according to the manual:

1) handbrake,

2) P-position.

"It is sufficient to engage selector lever position P when parking on a flat surface. When parking on a slope you should first apply the handbrake firmly and then move the selector lever into position P. This is to ensure that there is no excessive pressure acting on the lock mechanism and that it is easier to subsequently move the selector lever out of position P"

If you keep a problem with removing the ignition key: go to your garage and let them check the release switch near the P-position. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

It is this switch and not the handbrake which releases the key. I almost never use the handbrake.

• Like 1