Battery dying?

pbtvc

My Fabia Elegance does not like the recent cold weather. The Akuma UM5 battery shows 12.02 volts before engine running. At 1000 and 3000 rpm it shows 14.4 volts. This is after an overnight trickle charge to assure am starting.After switch off the voltage fades from12.9 to 12.02 or thereabouts. I have in mind a Bosch S4008 replacement so to replace or not to replace? - that is the question.

Ours died last week. Wifey got stranded after shopping (that'll teach her) . AA man was called and a new Unipart £99 battery was fitted by him. Not the best value I know. I was expecting a new one would soon be needed as the original lasted 7 years,

The battery in the GF's Toyota Starlet must have had a record lifetime. Lasted 12 years before needing replacing a few months ago. I guess the electric goodies in the Fabia like ABS and power steering place more demands on the battery though.

Replace it, mine did exactly the same thing then with no warning one morning tried to start and nothing. :'(

+1 Had the same trying to leave work one day.

Had no choice but to go to Halfrauds and get ripped-off :'(

If battery not fully functioning as it supposed to then must be replaced. It can cause no end of [niggly] problems. This can be easily solved and give peace of mind (don't want to be stuck on the roadside miles from anywhere for a £50 solution). Halfords batteries are good and used to be reasonably priced but over the recent years their prices are no longer competitive. I purchased my last battery online from County Batteries (based in Nottingham/Derby area I think) in one of their offers and was delivered next day and carries a 4 year guarantee. I got it for half the price then the Halfords type (073) and was a heavier duty (I paid about £35 but was 3 years ago). I always fit a heaver duty than standard (again peace of mind and extra/longer power when needed is then always there) and, dependent on prices at the time, aim for 90-120 minute reserve with 400 cold cranking (even more if available).