First gear on 6 speed box

cheeky

Always been a bit tricky from new. Dealer tells me Skoda won't let them look at it until it's covered 5000 miles; it's now done 3000 and seems to be getting worse with the miles rather than better.

Anyone else having/had problems?

urm not really (try using a Peugeot/Citroen gearbox!!) though sometimes it doesn't feel 100% when picking first. Try just pliping the gas abit before you press in the clutch (push it all the way down aswell) and then try selecting first.

Make notes when it happens i.e. all the time, when it's cold, when it's in traffic etc. Might help the garage when you do reach 5k.

Though it does annoy me that they wont look at it until 5k by that time you cant reject the car if it does turn out to be a big fault.

Always been a bit tricky from new. Dealer tells me Skoda won't let them look at it until it's covered 5000 miles; it's now done 3000 and seems to be getting worse with the miles rather than better.

If you believe it's getting worse, go above the dealer's head and give Skoda customer services a call.. I believe they can authorise the dealer to look at it, if they feel it warrants it........... :)

Chris

Didnt have much trouble with the gearbox in the Furby I testdrove in Jan, it had pretty low miles on it, about 1k I think of the top of my head.

Might just take a little getting used to but as Mike says, I'd definitely keep track of when it's happening, perhaps it's genuinely faulty and that kinda info could help the garage fault-find it.

If it's faulty I'd imagine you'd get it replaced/fixed under warranty though. If you are properly paranoid you may wish to get the statement about having to do 6k before they investigate in writing so the garage can't 'do you' for the payments ;)

you could do ask chris said go above it all or failing that ask for a letter say that if there is any problems found with the gearbox after 5k then it will be dealt with ASAP without any trouble.

My mate mini has a gearbox issue they said with until it has 2k on the clock but in the meantime BMW UK will send him a letter to make sure that any problems after the 2k and he will have the right to replacement etc.

I'd better give the dealer a call. I hope they'll give me decent service; they've changed hands since I bought mine late last year.

Strangely perhaps, it seems slightly easier when cold. I'll try the throttle blip before as suggested.

I was a bit annoyed when told they couldn't look at it until 5000 miles; the very thought of not being able to reject the car was my first thought...

trouble is I've been down this route with citroen and peogeot. Both said wait until there is x'000 on the clock and both times there has been a problem. Both times it's been fixed and then fixed again because it needed to be replaced/rejected. So I was left with a naff car that and the end of the day there isn't much you can do with! Not say Skoda are like that. Pi55es me off coz we buyers have very little rights!

*rant over*

Had no problems with selecting first so far (now with 2700 miles on it).

The only problem I have found with the gear lever is the bloody rattle in neutral!! :)Hopefully this will be sorted tomorrow.

lol you can play a trick with that one, let your mrsus sit in the car and whilst your under the bonnet the the selection pandle, with any luck it will make her jump tehehehehe

Done this, we also have a Fiat Seicento which also is cable changed. She was sitting in the car whilst I was under the bonnet, should of heard her when I slamed the car into gear :eek: :D

When are you dropping into 1st gear? I only try it when stationary (i.e. I don't change into 1st when going down the box) but it does feel a little notchy. Not bad enough to complain about on my car, though.

It tends to be a little easier to engage while still moving at walking pace than when at a standstill. Still needs quite a firm shove though. Rest of the gears are fine. Luckily I hardly do any rush-hour journeys these days.

• 1 year later...

Ive done 22k on mine and have started to find 2nd gear to be showing wear, more so when its cold, seems rather clunky and almost has a double motion when getting into gear. Is a similar feel to a car id previously driven and that gear eventually broke. Quiter concerned!