Exhaust Centre Mount

Anybody had a fractured mounting on the centre box section ...... and also a separated heatshield on the catalyst section ?

I appear to have both issues, with the centre box now swaying about & the heatshield rattling & vibrating for fun. The heatshield appears to have parted company at the front end and is hanging low, away from the catalyst. Any suitable d.i.y. fixes out there from you guys ? T.I.A.

The centre mount can be fixed using two jubilee clips quite easily,or re attached if you know a friendly welder. As for the heatshield I would just remove it completely.

I had both problems, although my heat shield came off at the rear, I looked at refitting the centre bracket but it looked to be putting stress on the rest of the system when I pushed the exhaust up to meet the mount. I just had the lot replaced with a Jetex cat and system.

Leaving the heat shield off is not a very good idea, its there for a reason otherwise it would have been left off when the car is new. The centre section of the exhaust gets very hot, and you really dont want that being transferred into the cabin. The central tunnel gets quiet warm with it in place, now imagine how hot it will get without it in place.

Leaving the heat shield off is not a very good idea, its there for a reason otherwise it would have been left off when the car is new. The centre section of the exhaust gets very hot, and you really dont want that being transferred into the cabin. The central tunnel gets quiet warm with it in place, now imagine how hot it will get without it in place.

I assumed the OP meant the heat shield which sits under the cat.

Yes guys....I was referring to the heatshield which is below the cat section....so it doesn't prevent any heat from affecting the tunnel....but perhaps prevents long dry grass from catching fire.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I had the same problem with the heat shield a couple of months ago - there's a thread somewhere about my worries.

In the end I did a "temporary" fix, holding the heat shield in place with a couple of very large worm drive clips (I used to deal with Terry's and was told very forcibly that Jubilee Clip is a registered trade mark :giggle: ) connected in tandem, and last week the old girl breezed her MOT with them still in place. Afterwards I had a word with the tester, who basically confirmed what I had been told here - it's a useless piece of kit in this country unless you regularly park in long grass, it's not part of the system as defined by the MOT regs, and provided it's held securely it will be fine.

As regards repairing the centre bracket, there are a number of threads and a very clear "How To" thread with photos if you search the forum

I had the same problem with the heat shield a couple of months ago - there's a thread somewhere about my worries.

In the end I did a "temporary" fix, holding the heat shield in place with a couple of very large worm drive clips (I used to deal with Terry's and was told very forcibly that Jubilee Clip is a registered trade mark :giggle: ) connected in tandem, and last week the old girl breezed her MOT with them still in place. Afterwards I had a word with the tester, who basically confirmed what I had been told here - it's a useless piece of kit in this country unless you regularly park in long grass, it's not part of the system as defined by the MOT regs, and provided it's held securely it will be fine.

As regards repairing the centre bracket, there are a number of threads and a very clear "How To" thread with photos if you search the forum

Thanks BJM ..... tried searching but coudn't find the post referred to ..... any chance of helping me with a link ?

and a small "how to" on searching !!!!!! T.I.A.

Edited by P.P.Power

I had the same problem with the heatshield coming adrift and rattling on the rear, fixed it with large piece of thick bendy metal wire(sort of like a welding rod) threaded it through and over the top, and twisted it together with pliers. No noises now, and passed MOT without an issue.