Induction Kits

So I wondered down to my local Seat dealer asking about the PD160 pipe.

The parts are now 55ish and 25ish or something + VAT. (Apparently), quoted from the part numbers on the sticky above.

My question is seeing as this will be around £100 is there much point in buying this as its just the pipe going into the box?

Would it be more benefecial getting something like this .. would this sound like induction kits fitted to petrol engines? (wouldn't mind this) and will it make much difference to smoke, power, efficiency etc.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Andrew

So I wondered down to my local Seat dealer asking about the PD160 pipe.

The parts are now 55ish and 25ish or something + VAT. (Apparently), quoted from the part numbers on the sticky above.

My question is seeing as this will be around £100 is there much point in buying this as its just the pipe going into the box?

Would it be more benefecial getting something like this .. would this sound like induction kits fitted to petrol engines? (wouldn't mind this) and will it make much difference to smoke, power, efficiency etc.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Andrew

The PD160 intake makes very little difference unless you have a remap, and even then it's only a very small improvement.When it was £30 or whatever, it was a no-brainer, but now it's really not worth it.

As far as I know induction isn't a big issue on the PD engines. Ask your preferred tuner for their recommendation. My guess is they'll tell you not to bother.

I cannot for the life of me why anyone would pay so much for so little??

A bit of pipe, a fancy,noisy, air filter and a couple of clips, sorry I cannot simply justify it.

To cap it all, the car will still run just the same as did before you spent nearly a £100. ??

I could do a real botch job for a fiver and save you a packet. LOLemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Edited by giandougl

The benefit of the pd160 intake is more cold air into the engine as it is a bigger inlet trumpet. If you are modifying further, this is a definate, if not then it just helps give a better burn for your engine.

Induction kits are realistically a waste of time and and money on a diesel. For some on here, they have fitted them and then removed them, as all they did was creat a louder noise which became annoying for them.

Go for the pd160 intake :thumbup:

I've owned several induction kits in my time and including the K&N 57i. A waste of money in my experience as the gains are minimal if any and some have reported a loss of power. Also you would have to ensure the intake was drawing in cold air and not hot so you'd need some protective carbon fibre shield or similar to protect the kit from the heat in the engine bay.

As said earlier, a bigger intake like the PD160 trumpet would only help if you had a custom remap to go with it that is set up on a rolling road. If that is not done then you could end up running a bit rich on the mix. Some go a bit further and couple the bigger intake pipe with a performance air filter but bear in mind these are designed to let more air in and dirt also will find its way into your engine. Also independent tests have proved that there is very little difference in gains from doing this. Only upside is you may get a bit less smoke ...however there is another way to achieve this.....see my next paragraph.

I personally dont bother with any of the above(i tried and tested them all) and have found the best performance to economy ratio can be found by changing your standard air filter every 3 months, oil every 3-4 months to keep the turbo running sweet and giving the air box a clean and a shot of forte every couple of months. Much cheaper and your engine and turbo will thank you for it.

Edited by newskoda

The only reason for fitting a PD160 is to reduce smoking under heavy load. Diesels run lean, and this is what remaps and tuning boxes / chips take advantage of. But even when tuned, the mix will be sub-stoichiometric. All you're doing by allowing extra air into the engine is making the mix a bit leaner, and therefore a cleaner burn. It doesn't permit you to add more fuel (like it would on a petrol engine) and so meaningful power gains are simply impossible!

HTH

The only reason for fitting a PD160 is to reduce smoking under heavy load. Diesels run lean, and this is what remaps and tuning boxes / chips take advantage of. But even when tuned, the mix will be sub-stoichiometric. All you're doing by allowing extra air into the engine is making the mix a bit leaner, and therefore a cleaner burn. It doesn't permit you to add more fuel (like it would on a petrol engine) and so meaningful power gains are simply impossible!

HTH

Perhaps the more beneficial side is actually getting cooler air in, noticed a difference (throttle response) when I was using OEM ducting and 6" alu ducting.

As you can see from this thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/53097-pd160-intake-pipe-the-definitive-thread/

The standard inlet pipe is considerably narrower than the PD160, however both are narrower than the ducting downstream of the airbox (where the turbo, MAF and MAP - which control the amount of air actually entering the engine) so there's no way you can produce any more power. Also, saying there is any effect from the air being 'cold' is incorrect, since the air remains at ambient pressure until the turbo inlet, and as the ducting prior to the turbo inlet doesn't change, Boyle's Law says there can't be any difference in volumetric flowrate up to that point, and so there can't be any change in heat capacity.

Nevertheless, thinking about it, throttle response ought to be improved like you say, since getting more air into the airbox should give a 'buffer effect' meaning there should be less lag when when the turbo kicks in and needs to be supplied with more air to provide the necessary boost.