50mm Soldiers

Chris197

emoticon-0148-yes.gif niceemoticon-0100-smile.gif

I have this lens and love it. It's good not only in low light and portraiture etc, but as it's a prime it does you good to think about what you are doing. I have seen some shots with this lens on 5Ds and the mighty 1D (Canons full frames) and they are incredible.

Edited by Lady Elanore

Nice piccies.

How come pictures are so close when minimum focus distance is 450mm? Or have you cropped these?

They almost look as though a Macro lens was used.

Stef

They're life size figures aren't they???? It's the lens that's a 50mm prime.

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks for the comments, I had to laugh at the 50mm soldiers :rofl: I need to put a bit more thought into the thread titles :giggle:

Loving this lens at the moment, it's managed to push the more expensive stuff to the back of my bag. I have a new found interest in 50mm since going full frame. I was about to pick up a Nikon 85mm 1.4 D but now I'm thinking about the Sigma 85mm 1.4 which is available anytime soon.

A few more from the 50 while I'm here. Still no flash, Exif intact if anyone is interested.

Hanger6.jpg

Poppies-1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Two from it's fist outing at a wedding reception. Real people this time and taller than 50mm :giggle:

MrCool.jpg

Couple1.jpg

Edited by Chris197

I thought they were 50mm soldiers, but then saw the detail....... :)

I must admit I thought exactly the same thing from the title before I opened the thread.

My only comment about 50mm lenses is that the OP is using it on a full frame camera (Nikon D700) so in that circumstance it's a true 50mm. On a standard DX or APS-C DSLR that lens gives a field of view equivalent to approx 75 mm which does dramatically alter shots. In the last one posted for example you wouldn't get both girls in the frame from the same distance if that's an uncropped photo (btw that's a nice image at iso2000). I find that I rarely use my 50mm lens on my DX camera but I do use a zoom set at 35mm often, this gives effectively the same field of view as the 50mm on a full frame camera.

For those with DX cameras who are thinking about a prime try setting your kit zoom lens at 50mm for a day and don't alter it then try another day with the lens set at 35mm. You may find that a 35mm prime is what you want.

Nice shots :)

I was about to pick up a Nikon 85mm 1.4 D but now I'm thinking about the Sigma 85mm 1.4 which is available anytime soon

From what I've read, the Sigma 85mm is better than their 50mm (a friend has had both the Nikon 50mm "G" and Sigma 50mm, and said the Sigma was weak in the corners on FX, and a little inaccurate on the AF on their D700, but otherwise a great lens).

Some info/comparisons on the Sigma 85mm (incl comparisons to the Canon 85mm f/1.2L and Nikon 85mm f/1.4):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/948683

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/951914

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=886651

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1331/cat/30

Edited by martinch

• 4 weeks later...

LOL re-read the title. I understood it to be photos of 50mm high toy soldiers! :rofl:

50mm high toy soldiers? 50mm is that all! That's incredible how you took those lovely photos :thumbup: How did you make them look so life sized and very detailed? Also what camera did you use? I'm looking into buying my first SLR next year as I like taking wildlife photos. This is really well done, they even look real in some of them! :thumbup::)