LPG Gas conversion

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/256637-car-dies-while-driving/#entry3023078

Just a follow-up on this (very old) thread. I reported an issue with the car dying in the above link. I had had this intermittent issue since converting to gas (see Posted 03 January 2011 - 16:06 above).

What I thought to be a gas problem may in fact have been a dodgy crank sensor that had been in place since the conversion. I had been getting a running rich/lean error on the ECU for nearly two years (it would come and go)

but I thought it was to do with the new fuel mix more than anything else.

Since the crank sensor has been replaced the above error code has yet to reappear. And the stall problem has also gone.

Just thought I would add this for the sake of completeness....

i want it...i just am not sure its worth it..

its now 83p a litre here, and unleaded is 130 at the mo, so not really half the cost, nor has it been for quite some time!

Hi guys

I have an 05 Mk1 Octavia vRS with 69k on the clock and have been toying with the idea of an LPG conversion for some time now.

My issue is not primarily one of commuting large distances, just that I love the car and would like to keep it with reduced running costs.

My girlfriends father can currently get LPG a 54p per litre (I don't ask how) and i've been quoted £1100 for the conversion. Eventually, I will be commuting between Belfast and Newtownabbey for work, a roundtrip of around 60 miles. Reading this thread is convincing me of the merits of LPG.

Dearest here is 81p a ltr. Cheapest is 76p a ltr.

Petrol is between 1.33 and 1.44 depending on where you go and what you are buying.

40p cheaper, 60p cheaper - its still significantly cheaper.

yes its cheaper, but not half price any more, and hasnt been for a long time.

i saw it for 50cent in luxembourg not long ago, factoring the exchange, now that cheap!!!

Hi guys

I have an 05 Mk1 Octavia vRS with 69k on the clock and have been toying with the idea of an LPG conversion for some time now.

My issue is not primarily one of commuting large distances, just that I love the car and would like to keep it with reduced running costs.

My girlfriends father can currently get LPG a 54p per litre (I don't ask how) and i've been quoted £1100 for the conversion. Eventually, I will be commuting between Belfast and Newtownabbey for work, a roundtrip of around 60 miles. Reading this thread is convincing me of the merits of LPG.

i am pretty sure i know how he gets it for that price...i would do it if i lived in the country!

because I don't think is safe, is rubbish to run,and ruin the car.

Is just my honest oppinion...and I'm sorry I was too direct,I shoud probably keep my mouth shut.

All views are welcome, but I don't agree.

I've driven a lot of conversions. While I can usually tell, most owners cannot. The performance is so close.

In the pre-EODB days, many of the kits were poor, but that is no longer the case as the technology has moved on.

I've never seen a car 'ruined' by a conversion and as for safety, LPG installations are probably safer than petrol because they are over engineered. If you are that worried about safety, perhaps you should buy a diesel - much safer than pressurised petrol from the tank. :) 

• Like 1

It is completely safe (bomb proof is a very good phrase for it).

Sorry, no its not

No fuel system is

A frayed/fractured gas line is more dangerous than a petrol one though

That's way an LPG system should be checked every year

http://www.telegraph...-cigarette.html

ps, as posted a pages back, a mate's lpg'ed camper caught fire, vehicle written off in few seconds

I still use lpg - just check the fuel lines every now and then ontop of annual check ;)

I have converted my vrs in 2008, no problems whatsoever, even with all mods and custom map. Landi renzo system works perfect and i have "white" gas injectors that supports up to 45kW per injector.

Only thing what I avoid is running it on highway 180km/h+ for long period of time because gas is dryer than gasoline and EGT is higher.

because I don't think is safe, is rubbish to run,and ruin the car.

Is just my honest oppinion...and I'm sorry I was too direct,I shoud probably keep my mouth shut.

Good solid evedence there..... i think im going to stick with this man as he knows what he is talking about :wonder:

Here is a link with some pictures, this car was hit by a train and lpg tank didnt explode; http://www.autoplin-lpg.com/index.php?spgmGal=Udarac%20vlaka%20u%20Audi%20A4&spgmPage=1&spgmFilters=&id=galerija&langid=hr

or

fancy a terrorist bomb (70kg) installed in lpg converted car with full tank? Link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Rijeka_bombing

Gas tank was blown from the car and didn`t leaked :)

Like all things "you pays your money you makes your choice"

I paid £1500 all in for an e gas system which is a multi point system with self learning ecu that works in tandem to the cars ecu so none of this constant adjustment like on older systems.

I have also been involved in an accident with an LPG tank (120litres) got rear ended by a fully loaded ford cargo lorry traveling at 25-30 mph and we were stationary so not a car park bump either and tank took the bulk of the hit saving the car from being written off. It was strong enough that the fitter (who I trust fully as I have known him a long time) reused it, just needed the straps replacing.

Modern systems should also be able to detect a sudden pressure release and shut off the tank valve. Obviously a slow leak is not so easy but you should be able to detect this by nose as you will get a whiff of it through the air vents

So are they safe. No.

Are they safer than a tank full of petrol. Yes.

Would I recommend it. In a heartbeat

Am I biased. Most definitely as I travel 30000+ miles a year on LPG. At < 70p a litre

Can't say I take that much notice :D

Diesel varies and in Bridgend is a couple of pence more than Cardiff and 99 Ron (of any flavour) is usually the same price as the diesel. Last time I remember taking notice I think it was 139.9