Is there any 1.2 TSi non-DSG review ?

BeSt

Hello,

I've tried to find some information about the 1.2 TSi. I know these engines are good but i would like to have a end-user review. And almost all reviews are about 1.2 TSi with DSG. What about the non-DSG version ?

• What are the rpm at 30mph (city), 55mph (road) and 80mph (motorways) ? (These are maximal legal speeds in France, I don't know about speed limits in UK)
  • Is there any curve plotting the speed against rpm, as for others engines ?
  • What about noise inside ? On city, roads and motorways?
  • What is the instant MPG at the same speeds ? Especially at 80mph in 5th gear ?

Thank you :yes:

Edited by BeSt

Thanks for your quick answer !

You said "After a recent trip to Sheffield and back and i with confidence say noise isn't really an issue. In fact there is more noise from the tsi engine than the wind."

The engine noise is a bit loud, or the wind noise is low ? For instance, could you have an easy discussion with the front passenger without increasing the volume of your voice ? And with the back passengers ?

Do you remember the rpm on motorways ? (approximately)

Edited by BeSt

That was a post from Benwiddowson I actually have the DSG but I think both models do ~2400rpm @ 70mph. The engine is quiet, wind noise is vey quiet, but tyre noise is an issue for me. It runs Bridgestone 205/45 16s as standard and they are quite intrusive. I have recently put winter tyres on and they are much quieter, although that is probably down to the narrower profile and taller sidewalls giving a more supple ride, because there is still some roar but at a frequency that is lower and less noticeable. You can definitely maintain a conversation without having to raise your voice much at motorway speeds

Actually, I'm afraid that rpm are not the same between DSG and non-DSG, since there are 6 gears in one case, 5 in the other case. Therefore, I think that engine noise is different with DSG and without it.

But good to know that wind noise is low, and I'm definitively happy to have chosen 15" tyres :yes: (to have less tyres noise).

Hi,

My wife has a TSI 85 Elegance (standard suspension), which is superb to drive both on country lanes and the occasional trip down the motorway. Cannot remember exactly the RPM figures but there low for a petrol, almost diesel like. Get a slight lag in exceleration if you drop below 1800 rpm but this appears to be becoming less noticeable with more miles on the clock.

Engine is gernerally very quite, get a slight growl when accelerating but it's not unpleasant. Most noise appears to come from the 205/45 WR16 tyres (Continental Premium Contact 2), although after a while I tend not to be that much aware of it. Do get a little noise around the front 'A' pillars on a windy day, again not of real concern.

Fuel wise not done a fill to fill but the Maxidot on setting 2 suggests an average of 42.5mpg and on setting 1, on a long run have managed up to 48.7mpg so far. This I hope will improve with a few more miles.

Would defiantly recommend this car and engine combination :thumbup:

Regards,

TP

Actually, I'm afraid that rpm are not the same between DSG and non-DSG, since there are 6 gears in one case, 5 in the other case. Therefore, I think that engine noise is different with DSG and without it.

But good to know that wind noise is low, and I'm definitively happy to have chosen 15" tyres :yes: (to have less tyres noise).

DSG is 7 speed. 7th gear is higher than the 5th gear of the manual car, which is where the slightly better motorway economy comes from. Engine noise will be slightly louder in the 5-speed, but at only 200rpm difference, you'll never notice it.

My 5-speed car does: 1400rpm at 30mph in 4th - 2600rpm at 70mph in 5th and 3000rpm at 80mph in 5th. 55mph will be approx 2200rpm, I can confirm that later if you need.

The car does not struggle at all with the manual box, 3rd gear will take it past 80mph if you really need to, overall economy is very similar to the DSG.

Everything else is exactly the same. The engine is quiet when cruising, wind and tyre noise are OK. No problem talking to passengers, good ride (even with the 16's) the gearbox shifts easily and smoothly and it drives and handles very tidily indeed. I'm loving it :) I'm up to 3800miles now, it's barely used any oil at all, economy is good (though it's so tempting to use it's power :giggle: )

If I"m cruising at 70mph, economy usually averages out to 47mpg or so. If you go to 80mph, you'll only be getting low 40's at best, even into high 30's. The extra wind resistance kills it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/179121-fabia-estate-2000-mile-10-week-review/

Mine`s a TSi 105. Wasnt too keen when I first got it but its grown on me now.

If your really bothered - 30mph is 1100 rpm, 55mph is 2100 rpm and 80 mph is 3000 rpm in 5th (yes it wil do it all in one gear!). Otherwise, my car`s gearchange indicator wants to you to change at 30mph into 4th (1200rpm) and 40mph into 5th (1200rpm).

Road noise is negigable in town but it does start to get a bit noisy above 60mph, but then this could be down to the (VERY CR*P) Falken 452s that my car has got.

With cruise control on my car (pre-sport suspension) would indicate 48mpg at 80, and if it was a long journey the MPG indicator would be very slowly ticking upwards - was indicating the cvar was doing 49.8 mpg after a run to Manchester with the car itself only over 1600 miles.

As the car is building up on mileage, the fuel economy is getting better - its gone up from 34 mpg with mostly town driving to 38mpg with the same driving now the car is over 2.5k.

Edited by Ross Chapman

Hi Best,

I cant claim to have watched the revs v speed v mpg as i tend to change up and down when maxidot tells me too. As for the noise its not an issue, although there is a nice tone when the engine starts to rev higher up the band. As for Mpg im running on 99 rom fuel now and can easily get 40 mpg round town and 55-60 on a long run. On 95 ron (morrisons) it was a different story round town 25 on a run 40-45.

Hi

thanks for your answer. But please apologise, my skills in English are low and I don't understand your last sentence. Did you mean "25 mpg on a run at 40-45 mph" ?

Hi

thanks for your answer. But please apologise, my skills in English are low and I don't understand your last sentence. Did you mean "25 mpg on a run at 40-45 mph" ?

No, i meant. On poor quality petrol in urban conditions (stop start) is about 25mpg in ex urban/motorway it was 40's.

On better quality petrol (shell/bp/esso etc) urban conditions in the 40mpg and ex urban (motorway) in the high 50's.

Urban = 0-40mph

Ex urban 50-80 mph.

Edited by benwiddowson

Hi Best,

I cant claim to have watched the revs v speed v mpg as i tend to change up and down when maxidot tells me too. As for the noise its not an issue, although there is a nice tone when the engine starts to rev higher up the band. As for Mpg im running on 99 rom fuel now and can easily get 40 mpg round town and 55-60 on a long run. On 95 ron (morrisons) it was a different story round town 25 on a run 40-45.

I will have to try a couple of tanks of v-power then, if it's that huge an increase, it would pay for itself!

I am a Roomster owner but she is 77Kw (105 Hp) and has manual gear box.

I have 8.125 kilometers on clock.

• Average consumption is 6.6 lt /100 Km
  • Urban consumption goes from 6.2 to 12 lt / 100 km at an average of 8lt (most of times).
  • Traveling at 80 - 100 Km/h average consumption is 5.5 lt/100 km. I managed twice 4.9
  • Traveling at 120 - 130 Km/h average consumption goes from 6.2 to 6.7 lt / 100 km depending on road and weather conditions.
  • Revs at 120km/h are 2.800, at 130km/h are 3000+. Traveling at 80 Km/h and 5th gear revs are about 1550. Revving at 4000 rpm will give you a speed of 150+ Km/h. Revving at idle will stop at 2.800 rpm due to safety reasons.
  • I completed a 760 km trip on motorway and travel speed from 80 to 120 km/h, after that i had petrol for another 260 kilometers.
  • After refueling many times trip computer gives me an autonomy above 1000 km but its a bit tricky. I think its about 800 to 850 km per fuel tank.
  • Oil consumption 300 gr after 6.200 Km. Nothing since then.
  • The engine is very nippy, brisk and elastic. You can go from 50km/h at 5th gear to 185km/h
  • Gear shifting is very easy and soft. Like a chewing gum.

I hope that was helpful even its a report from a roomster.

Edited by stratosg

My Wife has now covered just over 2000 miles in her 105bhp fabia (Non DSG)

Great little car, not used a drop of oil, the torque is amazing, its like driving a Diesel.

Fuel economy is running about 38mpg at the moment, but have had it around the 55mpg mark on a few motorway runs.

Its quiet, comfortable and goes well when you need it to

Cracking little car

Steve

Very useful, thanks !

Could you just remind me the tank capacity of the Roomster, to see if it's the same than the Fabia (45L) ?

Mine is 55 lt, so your autonomy should be about 150 - 180 kilometers less.