What mechanical noises are normal?

kenfowler3966

I have noticed with my 2wd yeti some mechanical noises and don't know if typical or faults and wondered if other vehicles do the same.

First, if I accelerate fairly hard with a lot of steering lock applied, eg coming out of a junction, there is a graunching/clicking noise, sounds suspiciously like a failing drive joint, but I wondered if it was mechanical noise from a limited slip diiff or something else due to the difference in wheel speed during the tight turn. Doesn't do it with light to moderate acceleration.

Second, I also have a metallic rattle/ clatter from the rear of the car when its going over large bumps or speed humps which infest the area I live in, sounds like something with play in the suspension, (but comes from both sides of the rear) but could be the body twisting slightly against the rear hatch?

First, if I accelerate fairly hard with a lot of steering lock applied, eg coming out of a junction, there is a graunching/clicking noise, sounds suspiciously like a failing drive joint, but I wondered if it was mechanical noise from a limited slip diiff or something else due to the difference in wheel speed during the tight turn. Doesn't do it with light to moderate acceleration.

You certainly wont be doing anything in the drivetrain many favours by driving like that that's for sure. I would say it is pretty certain to by driveshaft / CV joint related - it is pretty easy to break or pop a shaft out in those circumstances.

Does the Yeti have an LSD?

I have noticed with my 2wd yeti some mechanical noises and don't know if typical or faults and wondered if other vehicles do the same.

Second, I also have a metallic rattle/ clatter from the rear of the car when its going over large bumps or speed humps which infest the area I live in, sounds like something with play in the suspension, (but comes from both sides of the rear) but could be the body twisting slightly against the rear hatch?

Don't ignore the obvious ...check out what's in the under carpet storage i.e. any tools, jack, wheel brace etc.

tom

The Megane R26 my Yeti replaced had an LSD on the front and produced an entirely different feel under hard acceleration, letting 310Nm torque and 230 BHP be used without a single grumble or any understeer, with the driven wheels really pulling the car around tight bends. IMO, the Yeti feels just like a conventional front wheel drive car when pushed around corners on dry roads and that limitation has taken some getting used to again.

Edited by rossmoffat

@kenfowler3966

The metallic clatter/rattle from the rear over speedbumps etc. is nothing more than the expelling airflaps moving. Normal.. :smirk:

@kenfowler3966

The metallic clatter/rattle from the rear over speedbumps etc. is nothing more than the expelling airflaps moving. Normal.. :smirk:

I thought I was quite up on cars and mechanics, but what and where is an expelling airflap, and can it be silenced as quite annoying?

I thought I was quite up on cars and mechanics, but what and where is an expelling airflap, and can it be silenced as quite annoying?

These are plastic arent they so Im not sure how they would sound like metal?!

You shouldnt hear them on a car anyway so if you can I'd say it has a major design issue surely?

My guess would be a loose exhaust heatshield or similar. Ive had this on a Ford previously and it was as you described. Also, check that the spare (if fitted) is tied down properly along with any tools etc in the boot area.

Our Yeti doesn't make any noises like those mentioned. Sharp turns, junctions and speed bumps are a relatively silent affair.

Does the clattering noise become louder when the windows are open? At least this would narrow it down to an internal or external source of noise.

+1 for a lose heatshield or exhaust component.

I have a 110 hp ( or is 121hp ? ) 2 wd and the noises you describe are not familiar to me,If was concerned about mechanical noises, after checking for obvious problems, I would go my friendly local dealer and ask them to investigate,

These flaps are common to most VW Group cars, there is one on each side at the rear and I'm not sure what they are made of but they do make quite a bang over speed bumps. I don't think they are accessible either. The noise on the front on full lock is most likely to be the rack and again nothing to worry about..

The flaps allow air to travel through the car via the air con system, if the car was sealed there would be no airflow through the car. Without the vents the car would pressurise slightly and prevent fresh air entering the car.

You can sometimes hear them when you shut/slam a car door, IIRC they are usually hidden under the sides of the rear bumper. I can't say i've ever heard them whilst going over speed bumps, I always assumed they were made of rubber or rubber covered plastic to keep the noise down.

To be honest there shouldn't be much in the way of noise when pulling off on a sharp lock. Could be a grumbling CV joint or worst case the diff as they both work hard when on full lock. See if the noise is more pronounced when turning on full lock in reverse.