What Steel Wheels for Superb do I need?

dsab

Hi,

as I will take the car to germany over XMAS I have decided to get some Winter Tyres before that. To be able to swap them easily I would need to get a set of Steel Wheels. Does anyone know exactly what size I would need?

I currently have alloys with 205/55/16 on my 05 Superb 1.9tdi.

Regards,

dsab

Edited by dsab

The rims need to have offset ET35 - 45. Probably you have ET37 on your current rims.

According to the manual, if you want to fit snow chains for the worst alpine conditions, the rim width should be 6J, I guess to give clearance from the suspension.

Otherwise 6J, 6.5J or 7J would be OK. I think you could use low profile (9mm) chains on 7J rims for a short time if you drive very slowly and carefully, just to get out of a tight spot, but it's not recommended.

There are snow chains which don't extend over the back of the wheel to avoid this problem but they are very expensive!

Winter tyres will get you though most problems though - they have been great in the snow this week in the South London suburbs!

As an alternative to steel rims, you might find a cheap set of alloys on ebay - I got some Passat 16inch alloy rims which I am using as my winter set.

My neighbour just offered my a standard set of Audi A4 alloys in 205/55/16. Would they fit without any problem?

They have a different offset to the VW Passat B5 ones - I have them fitted to a Passat B5 and they make the wheels stick out a bit more than normal, but only slightly.

Changing wheels from manufacturer to manufacturer has it's difference, offset, PCD, centre bore size, etc.

A couple of useful links for those of you that are interested can be found here:

Visual Tyre Size Difference:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Wheel Fitment, Tyre Stretch, Rolling Radius and Speedometer Error Calculator:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?

:thumbup:

Hi,

as I will take the car to germany over XMAS I have decided to get some Winter Tyres before that. To be able to swap them easily I would need to get a set of Steel Wheels. Does anyone know exactly what size I would need?

I currently have alloys with 205/55/16 on my 05 Superb 1.9tdi.

Regards,

dsab

If anyone else is thinking of going over to Germany it is now mandatory to have winter tyres fitted to their vehicles between October and Easter. Failure to comply will result with on the spot fines by the police.(On the spot fines means on the spot in Germany.)

If it is coming from an Audi later as year 2000 it will fit without any problem. You don't need spacers etc....

Go for them !!

Out of curiosity, why would it make a difference if it came from a B5 or B6 Audi A4? As far as I can see the B5 and B6 models had identical wheel characteristics:

5x112 PDC

57.1 Bore

45 Offset

My link

Out of curiosity, why would it make a difference if it came from a B5 or B6 Audi A4? As far as I can see the B5 and B6 models had identical wheel characteristics:

5x112 PDC

57.1 Bore

45 Offset

My link

Wheel offsets can make a big difference and will make the visual look of the car and potential running massively different........... :yes: