Xenon light failures

mbrock

That doesn't get round the problem of when you need to use side / parking lights you have to 'go through' the auto position - this is one thing that you should not do with a xenon bulb - turn it on and off again quickly.

I've never unserstood why VAG decided to put the Auto setting first.

A lot of other manufacturers have the Auto setting as the last position.

This way those that prefer to leave them in Auto aren't affected.

However those who prefer to switch between side and dipped manually are forced to flick past Auto every time.

On cars equipped with xenons this results in a quick flash of dipped headlights as you pass through side lights - which is bad for xenon headlights.

The delay on my Octavia is not enough to stop them flashing briefly :no:

I've never unserstood why VAG decided to put the Auto setting first.

A lot of other manufacturers have the Auto setting as the last position.

This way those that prefer to leave them in Auto aren't affected.

However those who prefer to switch between side and dipped manually are forced to flick past Auto every time.

On cars equipped with xenons this results in a quick flash of dipped headlights as you pass through side lights - which is bad for xenon headlights.

I fully agree :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see if VCDS can turn the auto lights function off.

Xenons take several seconds to get up to full brightness in my experience.

Maybe turn the knob faster?emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Yup!

Mines doing the same, been back to Palmers in Watford and was fobbed off with a software update.

This is obviously an known problem, they really should have sorted it.

Anyway back in next week with a courtesy car for a few days while they try again to sort it.

They also tried to fix the rattling speedo trims, they can have another go at that as well while they've got it.

Absolutely not - as long as there are morons who walk along unlit roads, backs to the traffic, in dark clothes with no torch. The only dazzle problems I've had is with chavs with illegal blue bulbs in their Corsas, etc. and I hate driving loan cars with halogens.

And they call me biased because I don't like Xenons. What a laugh.

Yeti now back from Palmers in Watford.

They replace both headlight ignitors, new instrument binnacle and sorted a problem with the maxidot recognising the sat nav.

All seems well now, driving it back in driving snow reminded me what a great car this is.

Had a loan Fabia. Not nice.

Very many thanks to Palmers who's service is always polite and the boys are on the ball.

Xenons take several seconds to get up to full brightness in my experience.

Maybe turn the knob faster?

It doesn't really matter if they are up to full brightness, its igniting them frequently that can cause problems.

I've tried flicking through Auto faster, it just ain't gonna happen, still get a flash of the xenon's :giggle: