GSM III+ BT Android Problem

I have spent yet more time trying various fixes tonight and think that I may have the answer: as the car requested access to the phonebook and I authorised the request the phone dropped the connection everytime, this led to me to believe that a phonebook contact may have been causing the problem. I am now convinced that the problem is Google contacts. To work around this I logged into my Google account and exported, then deleted all of my contacts. I then sync'd the phone so that it has no Google contacts and then turned off syncing of Google contacts. After reconnecting to the car and allowing phonebook access (always) this seems to have worked. The phone now stays connected. I don't have complete confidence in this yet but will update on here once I know one way or the other!

I wonder if anyone else has this problem or any experience that may help??

Edited by VRS DSG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update time:

The problem I was having appears to have been Google contacts as I suspected, since deleting Google contacts from my phone and turning sync off it has connected reliably every time. :thumbup:

I am really glad I have finally nailed the problem. I hope this info can be of use to others.

• 2 months later...

Have a look at this app on android market. Search for Bluetooth SIM Access Profile from android-rsap.com.

The app is still in development and is free at the moment. You need to have a rooted htc phone and follow all the instructions.

INSTALLATION IS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!

I've managed to get it going on my HTC Hero, it can be temperamental. Each new update improves the experience, sohere's hoping.

My main problem on set-up was the phone demanding the 16 digit pin before the car displayed it. Not too hard to guess it.

Just updated to 0.81, this is supposed to fix random disconnect problems. Not tried it yet.

If you can root your phone and install a custom rom then you can have a go at this without worries.

If not then don't go anywhere near it, you'll break your head and/or your phone.

HTH

Oswy

Just to let you know that the Samsung Galaxy S has RSAP built into the phone and works perfectly....better than my Nokia N86 in fact :thumbup:

Google contacts do not work though and you have to switch the sync off on this.....may be a pain for some but I don't use Google for anything so i am happy.

Have a look at this app on android market. Search for Bluetooth SIM Access Profile from android-rsap.com.

The app is still in development and is free at the moment. You need to have a rooted htc phone and follow all the instructions.

INSTALLATION IS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!

I've managed to get it going on my HTC Hero, it can be temperamental. Each new update improves the experience, sohere's hoping.

My main problem on set-up was the phone demanding the 16 digit pin before the car displayed it. Not too hard to guess it.

Just updated to 0.81, this is supposed to fix random disconnect problems. Not tried it yet.

If you can root your phone and install a custom rom then you can have a go at this without worries.

If not then don't go anywhere near it, you'll break your head and/or your phone.

HTH

Oswy

I have just installed this on my phone. Started with using Clockworkmod recovery to create a backup of my phone then used Clockworkmod to install the rsap-install.zip file. I then installed the rsap profile app from Android Market. I started the rsap service on my rooted Desire allowed rsap access in superuser permissions and then paired with the car. The phone connected and worked brilliantly. The display shows premium and 3g in addition to the normal phone name and carrier info. I now also have lots of extra options in the menu including a choice of ringtone! My car now displays text messages on the maxidot also. So chuffed with this!! B)

Cheers for the heads up :thumbup:

Edited by VRS DSG

I have just installed this on my phone. Started with using Clockworkmod recovery to create a backup of my phone then used Clockworkmod to install the rsap-install.zip file. I then installed the rsap profile app from Android Market. I started the rsap service on my rooted Desire allowed rsap access in superuser permissions and then paired with the car. The phone connected and worked brilliantly. The display shows premium and 3g in addition to the normal phone name and carrier info. I now also have lots of extra options in the menu including a choice of ringtone! My car now displays text messages on the maxidot also. So chuffed with this!! B)

Cheers for the heads up :thumbup:

Looks like It works well for you. On my old HTC Hero rsap needs to be running and showing on screen to connect up. Bit of a pain, but better than nowt.

Glad to be of assistance.

Hi you all,

If you look in the Android Market, there will be an aplication for all these problems. Look for "Skoda" and you will see it.

Wish this help everbody ;)

Marco - Portugal

Looks like It works well for you. On my old HTC Hero rsap needs to be running and showing on screen to connect up. Bit of a pain, but better than nowt.

rSAP does need to be running, the Android operating system can shut down apps to free up memory for others. This means that opening the rSAP app just once on starting up the phone isn't guaranteed to work everytime. I use an app called AutomateIt to turn my Bluetooth on at key times in my day, ie going to work time, I have also set the app to start rSAP whenever Bluetooth is turned on. So rSAP is automatically started whether I manually turn Bluetooth on or it is turned on automatically by the AutomateIt app.

It's a free app, give it a shot!

My turn to help! ;)

Edited by VRS DSG

rSAP does need to be running, the Android operating system can shut down apps to free up memory for others. This means that opening the rSAP app just once on starting up the phone isn't guaranteed to work everytime. I use an app called AutomateIt to turn my Bluetooth on at key times in my day, ie going to work time, I have also set the app to start rSAP whenever Bluetooth is turned on. So rSAP is automatically started whether I manually turn Bluetooth on or it is turned on automatically by the AutomateIt app.

It's a free app, give it a shot!

My turn to help! ;)

Latest stock rom for HTC Hero is 2.1.1 and AutomateIt needs 2.2.

Been needing an excuse to try a custom rom, so I've taken the plunge with froydVillain. ( Google "hero android 2.2")

Straight forward to install, Clockworkmod rom manager is an excellent program.

Then updated to latest stable release. reinstalled rsap and downloaded automateit.

Connected to car, absolutely no problems at all, it just works.

Set-up the trigger in AutomateIt to turn on rsap application when the car pairs to the phone.

Again it just works. I'm now going to the android market to change my review of rsap to 5 stars.

Thanks very much for the tip :happy:

Set-up the trigger in AutomateIt to turn on rsap application when the car pairs to the phone.

Again it just works. I'm now going to the android market to change my review of rsap to 5 stars.

Thanks very much for the tip :happy:

I tried AutomateIt using the trigger when Bluetooth connects to the car to activate rSAP today, it wasn't very successful, the car connected in HFP mode. Gone back to activate rSAP when Bluetooth state changes to on. This works without fail since rSAP is already up and running by the time the car connects.

I do get the odd blip every now & then when the phone won't connect but restarting the phone usually sorts this. I'll be interested to hear your experience in the slightly longer term.

I am very pleased with rSAP, the phone reception is far superior & the added functionality is handy.

I tried AutomateIt using the trigger when Bluetooth connects to the car to activate rSAP today, it wasn't very successful, the car connected in HFP mode. Gone back to activate rSAP when Bluetooth state changes to on. This works without fail since rSAP is already up and running by the time the car connects.

I do get the odd blip every now & then when the phone won't connect but restarting the phone usually sorts this. I'll be interested to hear your experience in the slightly longer term.

I am very pleased with rSAP, the phone reception is far superior & the added functionality is handy.

With my last phone, Nokia N95, I used to leave the bluetooth switched on. The battery was good for about 3 days and there's no faffing about with the phone when you get in the car.

So, I'm trying to get it working the same way with the Hero. I'm leaving the bluetooth on and setting the AutomateIt rule to run rSap on connection.

VillainRom appears to be better with the battery than the stock HTC with sense ui. Even with the bluetooth on I'm getting 3 days per charge.

Speaking of charge, I wonder how much the full app will be when the trial expires ??

I had forgotten that rSAP was a trial! Just checked and it expires 1st May. Let's hope it's a reasonable price when the full app comes to Market, I couldn't go back now, I find the phone reception is so much clearer & doesn't drop calls in weak signal areas like it does using the phones aerial.

I had forgotten that rSAP was a trial! Just checked and it expires 1st May. Let's hope it's a reasonable price when the full app comes to Market, I couldn't go back now, I find the phone reception is so much clearer & doesn't drop calls in weak signal areas like it does using the phones aerial.

Looks like they're not ready with the full version ! Just got an update to the trial which expires 10/5/11.

A tip for AutomateIt, set it to play an alert sound when the car disconnects = "don't leave the phone in the car"

Found a fly in the ointment :thumbdown:

I tried to update the car's contact list. It wiped all the contacts!

The only way to get the contacts back was to put the sim in my old N95 and sync that up to the car.

Oh dear, is this update phonebook option in the maxidot menu? I have done this without problem.

I have added the play notification on disconnect trigger in AutomateIt, haven't tried it yet though.

Oh dear, is this update phonebook option in the maxidot menu? I have done this without problem.

I have added the play notification on disconnect trigger in AutomateIt, haven't tried it yet though.

You can get at it two ways:-

Through maxidot

Via the setup button to the right of the radio

The paid version is on the market. Intro price 4.99euros until 10th May.

The developer is promising to fix the phone book issue in future updates.

Hi there folks.

I have a "new" Superb (actually first registered Sep10, but new to me!) and have paired my Work Nokia 6301 fine. My personal phone is an O2 [non-rooted] HTC Desire running Froyo (Android Version = 2.2 / Baseband = 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27).

When I try and pair the phone I enter the 16 digit code, and it connects, then I guess it is the SIM connection that asks for a "Password". My SIM is not password protected. Is this indicative of the issues you are describing? Do I have to enter some default password (eg:0000)?

I've been reading the android-rsap.com page, but until I'm out of my current mobile contract (August) I'd rather not root my phone. Also, I am a *big* Google user (Gmail, Apps, contacts... the lot). I'm a bit concerned with the Google contact syncing business, since I do need to use that albeit not necessarily in the car, but having to enable/disable all the time would be a serious blocker for me.

While I'm a computer tekky, I admit that I've paid little attention to smartphones... they're just a tool for me, so I'm not really as knowledgeable as perhaps I could be in this area.

Thanks,

ThePuss

Hi there folks.

I have a "new" Superb (actually first registered Sep10, but new to me!) and have paired my Work Nokia 6301 fine. My personal phone is an O2 [non-rooted] HTC Desire running Froyo (Android Version = 2.2 / Baseband = 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27).

When I try and pair the phone I enter the 16 digit code, and it connects, then I guess it is the SIM connection that asks for a "Password". My SIM is not password protected. Is this indicative of the issues you are describing? Do I have to enter some default password (eg:0000)?

I've been reading the android-rsap.com page, but until I'm out of my current mobile contract (August) I'd rather not root my phone. Also, I am a *big* Google user (Gmail, Apps, contacts... the lot). I'm a bit concerned with the Google contact syncing business, since I do need to use that albeit not necessarily in the car, but having to enable/disable all the time would be a serious blocker for me.

While I'm a computer tekky, I admit that I've paid little attention to smartphones... they're just a tool for me, so I'm not really as knowledgeable as perhaps I could be in this area.

Thanks,

ThePuss

you can root it no problem. Doesn't affect contract or warranty. It isn't like jailbreaking of the Iphone.

Don't know about password. Perhaps it asks you to set one as you haven't got a sim pin set up. Try putting a random number in there!

Hi,

I am gonna have to pass on the password question as I have no experience other than when I first used rSAP I did have to enter my SIM password but only because I had the password option turned on within the phone security options. I now leave it off as entering a password to connect to the car every time is a pain!

As for Google contacts I can absolutey tell you that they were the reason for my random disconnects when using HFP ( standard Hands Free Protocol) before rSAP became an option. I haven't re-enabled my Google contacts since using rSAP but I would expect the outcome to be the same. I never got to the bottom of what within the Google contacts causes the car system to crash so maybe that could be a way forward for you? It could just be a single attribute that causes the problem.

Hope this helps in some way.

Enjoy your new car.

Cheers

VRS DSG

@VRS DSG / @ jrw

thanks for the replies. At the moment the phone seems ok. I tried the connection again and I haven't yet been prompted for that password. Maybe the phone book download hasn't happened... I'll check that next, but at the moment the phone seems to connect fine, displays battery and signal strength fine, and answers calls fine. The sound quality is actually excellent!

For info I am told the default O2 SIM pincode is 0000 or 5555.

Puss

@VRS DSG / @ jrw

thanks for the replies. At the moment the phone seems ok. I tried the connection again and I haven't yet been prompted for that password. Maybe the phone book download hasn't happened... I'll check that next, but at the moment the phone seems to connect fine, displays battery and signal strength fine, and answers calls fine. The sound quality is actually excellent!

For info I am told the default O2 SIM pincode is 0000 or 5555.

Puss

Good stuff....Let us know how you get on with the phonebook....if you have issues check that gmail isn't syncing contacts as this causes issues. You can sync the contacts just once and it will then keep the contacts on the car for each sim card. For eg when i got my Galaxy S i put the sim in out of my old phone and paired the Galaxy to the car and the contacts were already there so must pick it up from the sim card number.

Edited by jrw