variable service intervals

Whats the average mileage between variable service intervals?

Isnt that the whole point - they are variable so it totally varies depending on the type of driving and the environment the car is driven in.

When Ive had vag cars on variable in the past ive usually seen 11,000 miles between servicing as the car used to only get driven for short journeys.

Most people at the local dealers seem to get nearer 18,000 miles on their Octy Mk 2's but I belive they do a lot of motorway miles.

Whats the average mileage between variable service intervals?

I think I have read some where that all new Octy's are sent out ex-factory set at variable service.

However, some dealers change this without asking to fixed servicing. They do this based on their assessment

of what they think the driver will benefit most from.

Could some more knowledgeable person comment on this and say how one can find out what service interval is set.

Thank you.

When I had my 55 plate Ambiente my first service was at 24K

I think my VRS is set to timed, I will be getting that changed as it could mean 4 services a year :(

A few years ago I had an Audi A6 1.8T on variable and got the maximum of 19,000 miles between services

My present VRS is showing needing a service at the same mileage, 19000 miles

Most of my driving is steady speed motorway

I think I have read some where that all new Octy's are sent out ex-factory set at variable service.

However, some dealers change this without asking to fixed servicing. They do this based on their assessment

of what they think the driver will benefit most from.

Could some more knowledgeable person comment on this and say how one can find out what service interval is set.

Thank you.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this.

Mine is 9 months old, has done 8,700 miles, and has just come up with the spanner symbol saying 600 miles until service is due. I thought I'd been driving carefully, with a fair mix of short and long journeys, but then I've only owned it for about 10 weeks. It was an ex demonstarator, must have had a hard life.

Mine is 9 months old, has done 8,700 miles, and has just come up with the spanner symbol saying 600 miles until service is due. I thought I'd been driving carefully, with a fair mix of short and long journeys, but then I've only owned it for about 10 weeks. It was an ex demonstarator, must have had a hard life.

10 weeks?

I'd be expecting the dealer to contribute towards that service.

It's on fixed servicing then, which is 15000km (works out to just over 9300 miles).

Mines on variable and I made sure that is was on variable when I collected and I had my first service at 18300 miles with the service indicator claiming the car had another 300 miles or so before the service was due

It's on fixed servicing then, which is 15000km (works out to just over 9300 miles).

Mines on variable and I made sure that is was on variable when I collected and I had my first service at 18300 miles with the service indicator claiming the car had another 300 miles or so before the service was due

Thanks, I'll get it checked, the code on the service log and on the label in the boot says it set for variable.

Edited by r6ymy

Thanks, I'll get it checked, the code on the service log and on the label in the boot says it set for variable.

My Octy was supposed to have variable servicing set, according to the service booklet, but it was actually set at fixed. Took it to my dealer, and they reset it to variable.

My first service was at 15000m, second 15000m ! have they set something up at dealers i'm asking myself.Dealer went out of business and so far after last years service at another main dealer looks like its going further .Hope.