1.2 TSI or Greenline

Far West John

I have had a 1.2TSi / DSG as a courtesy car a couple of times and have been impressed with the engine. It has more torque than I'd expected for such a small capacity engine, and it even has torque at lowish revs. I found with a light throttle the DSG box would change up exceedingly readily, much much earlier than I would choose as an enthusiastic driver. If I was the sort of person that wanted a car as a means of transport I would give cars with this engine serious consideration although if economy was a high priority I would choose a smaller lighter bodied car. The fuel economy both times appeared to be only slightly under the official combined figure, (44 mpg I think), for trips on a mixture of country roads. I would expect to see fuel consumption suffer greatly if I was hammering it though.

I have had a 1.2TSi / DSG as a courtesy car a couple of times and have been impressed with the engine. It has more torque than I'd expected for such a small capacity engine, and it even has torque at lowish revs.

The 1.2 is a fantastic engine, hitting it's maximum torque from 1500-4100 rpm (IIRC) producing 175NM, which isn't far off the 188NM produced by my 2.0 Mazda MX5 as a comparison!

Not sure why they differ :smirk:

Equates to 31mpg by my calculations (375 miles on a tankful)

Depends what a 'tankful' is - if it's fumes only remaining, then 31mpg but if there's really a gallon left then it's closer to 35mpg. As for the larger tank for 4x4 models, they use more fuel so need to have their range maintained.

Re: DSG and the upshifts, it's designed to get good economy on the pre-defined urban/ extra urban 'routes' and does this by changing up incredibly early, to the point where top gear is probably reached by about 25mph on a light throttle. In the real world, they tend to be driven differently as you only need a modicum of throttle to have the gearbox kicking down through multiple gears. The 7-speed gearbox appeared overkill to me as I crawled up an inclince in traffic doing about 5mph with the A3 1.4TSI S-Tronic in 2nd - kinda made first utterly redundant.

I found with a light throttle the DSG box would change up exceedingly readily, much much earlier than I would choose as an enthusiastic driver.

Next time you get one try using the S setting on the DSG. My car has done 1500 miles now so I have finally started to use S. It sticks to a gear in S even on a light throttle and made it much more like a manual car thus staying in second when you are in slow traffic without going all the way to 4th and back down when you are just tootling along in a queue. D undoubtedly uses less fuel as the engine revs are kept low. And all this is said before even having used the Tiptronic manual part of it all.

Next time you get one try using the S setting on the DSG.

I detest the 'S' setting on the DSG boxes I've used - makes the gear changes unpleasantly jerky. Would rather use the manual override, and the only reason I didn't the last couple of times was because I was too tired to be bothered, and I was aiming for econo-driving rather than doing it properly.

Having test driven the 1.2 DSG Yeti (but only a brief run in an urban environment) I was astounded at the 1.2 petrol engine.

(i) the torque

(ii) the incrediably low revs the torque was available from

Kinda like a diesel actually :rofl:

I will nevertheless probably go for the Greenline.

Unless the 1.6 diesel is made available in a non Greenline model, and perhaps with the DSG.

Ps

I do not think there will ever be a DSG in the Greenline model due to the fuel penalty.

Yes?

my 1.2 manual has far more get up and go in day to day driving than my new 1.6 focus ever did..and that had 125bhp...loving the 1.2, and as for fuel i reg see 480-550 to tank..even when 5 adults aboard and living in a very hilly area!!!..i honestly cannnot fault it, apart from no heated screen, thats a big minus so fat this winter :thumbdown:

I test drove a 1,2 DSG as well - with friends wanting one and this was after I had ordered my 140 TDI. It was incredibly quiet and smooth. You did not even notice it was running! But I was expecting immense pull after reading all the comments on this site for this engine. I was left waiting I have to say. For its size it might have lots of oomph, but compared to a 110 or 140 diesel is decidedly slow (0-60 in over 12 seconds if memory serves). Which is fine for everyday driving of course (my A2's 0-60 was also 12 and I loved that car for 9 whole years and it was always adequate). BUT the A2 had that same oomph whether fully loaded or not. From my four people up test drive in the 1,2 Yeti I did not get the impression that the oomph will feel quite the same as the A2's when loaded up. Nor did I feel comfident that it will get into little gaps in traffic as quickly as I was used to.

I test drove a 1,2 DSG as well - with friends wanting one and this was after I had ordered my 140 TDI. It was incredibly quiet and smooth. You did not even notice it was running! But I was expecting immense pull after reading all the comments on this site for this engine. I was left waiting I have to say. For its size it might have lots of oomph, but compared to a 110 or 140 diesel is decidedly slow (0-60 in over 12 seconds if memory serves). Which is fine for everyday driving of course (my A2's 0-60 was also 12 and I loved that car for 9 whole years and it was always adequate). BUT the A2 had that same oomph whether fully loaded or not. From my four people up test drive in the 1,2 Yeti I did not get the impression that the oomph will feel quite the same as the A2's when loaded up. Nor did I feel comfident that it will get into little gaps in traffic as quickly as I was used to.

After 9 months I can happily confirm that empty or fully loaded, the 1.2 has more than enough torque/power for everyday driving - irrespective of size. It's no V8, but pulls very well at any legal speed and will comfortable sit all day at some very indecent speeds too. ;)

It speaks volumns that we are comparing a 1.2 petrol with a diesel engine which has 66% extra cubic capacity! As a comparison 0-60 times; 1.2 manual 11.8 (DSG 12.0), 110 11.6 (4x4 12.2) and the 140 9.9.

Edited by HKPhooey

Ps

I do not think there will ever be a DSG in the Greenline model due to the fuel penalty.

Yes?

Perfectly possible - DSG versions tend not to suffer on CO2 emissions because the gearbox and engine ECU's can be manipulated, sometimes to produce lower levels than manual cars. A good example is the new A1 1.4TSI Sport S-Tronic (Audi-speak for DSG) has 119g/km of CO2, yet the S-Line version has 122g/km of CO2 - in order to keep the 119g/km level some options, such as open-sky sunroof and sat-nav are not available on the Sport version; clearly this is possible due to the 16" wheels it has rather than the S-Line's 17's too, but other versions of the car don't have different CO2 levels between S-Line and Sport.

Ever wondered why quite so many cars hit the magical 119g/km of CO2 - manipulation of ECU's, that's why...

Perfectly possible - DSG versions tend not to suffer on CO2 emissions because the gearbox and engine ECU's can be manipulated, sometimes to produce lower levels than manual cars. A good example is the new A1 1.4TSI Sport S-Tronic (Audi-speak for DSG) has 119g/km of CO2, yet the S-Line version has 122g/km of CO2 - in order to keep the 119g/km level some options, such as open-sky sunroof and sat-nav are not available on the Sport version; clearly this is possible due to the 16" wheels it has rather than the S-Line's 17's too, but other versions of the car don't have different CO2 levels between S-Line and Sport.

Ever wondered why quite so many cars hit the magical 119g/km of CO2 - manipulation of ECU's, that's why...

The DSG 'box is clever enough to be 'programmed' to perform well within the standard economy test profile too. In the same way turbo engines can be manipulated to do well in the Euro economy tests.

Just been reading the Auto Express review of the year for which the Yeti was the outright winner of their car of the year.

The article on why it won reads " Its brilliant engine line up ranges from the entry level 1.2 TSi (arguably the sweetest of the lot) to a 168bhp diesel "

Strikes me that the 1.2TSi has lots going for it and should never be underestimated.

Sounds good but I would caution anybody who reads AutoWeakspress to take all of their views with a pinch of salt - like What Car? (depsite being from different publishers), cars win tests because they have the lowest boot loading lip and the ease with which the interior mirror can be adjusted...

Sounds good but I would caution anybody who reads AutoWeakspress to take all of their views with a pinch of salt - like What Car? (depsite being from different publishers), cars win tests because they have the lowest boot loading lip and the ease with which the interior mirror can be adjusted...

Probably took those vital points into account prior to making any judgments although the power fold door mirrors must have slipped the net ? :giggle:

- but surely we agree, putting any bias to one side, the Yeti is a worthy winner regardless of the power unit incurred ?

After all, how many cars have a boot hover option? :giggle:

Edited by Bassa

I was aware of the possibility of the DSG being reasonably fuel efficient.

However in the parallel world of the Octavia

the Greenline gets about 64mpg combined, the ordinary manual say 62/63mpg and the poor old DSG only just squeaks in over 60mpg (or is it 62?) anyway def the poorest fuel consumption of the three permutations and it is the more efficient dry DSG.

All with the same 1.6CR engine.

Cheers

M