Advice needed - Octavia VRS Delivery

To be honest I don't see what the big problem is. You're getting £200 off- I hardly think a car registered 4 or 5 days before another identical one is going to be worth hundreds of pounds difference, regardless of if it says 2010 or 2011 on the V5. It's still a 60 plate.

My dealer also mentioned the other day how Skoda are now insisting that cars are registered within 10 working days of arriving at the dealers. If they don't do that they won't recieve the VAT rebate.

I guess this is to stop buyers getting a car at the discount and then waiting a long period of time before registering it on a newer plate. It's possible even that dealers could buy cars for stock at the reduced rate and sell them on at the higher rate if they haven't registered them.

I don't think it's a case of the dealer getting a financial benefit. From what my dealer said and the way I read the response, the problem is that Skoda will not pay the VAT free contribution if it is not registered when they want it to be done.

If thats the case the dealer will be selling the car at a loss if they buy it at the 'normal' price and sell it at the VAT free price.

My big problem is the principal of it as I specifically agreed prior to placing my deposit that it was registered in 2011. This is part of the reason for my decision to order the car as Seat weren't willing to delay registration on a Leon FR, which is the other car I was looking at.

I have no problem with it being registered within 10 working days of arriving at the dealers - my car has not arrived yet. Due to the backlog at the port and the continuing bad weather, there is the possibility it won't be at the dealers this year. It certainly doesn't look like it will be ready for collection before Christmas.

My big problem is the principal of it as I specifically agreed prior to placing my deposit that it was registered in 2011. This is part of the reason for my decision to order the car as Seat weren't willing to delay registration on a Leon FR, which is the other car I was looking at.

I have no problem with it being registered within 10 working days of arriving at the dealers - my car has not arrived yet. Due to the backlog at the port and the continuing bad weather, there is the possibility it won't be at the dealers this year. It certainly doesn't look like it will be ready for collection before Christmas.

I'm really confused now. So the dealer hasn't even got the car but, wants to register it? :think:

Can they do that?

May I suggest that you read the whole thread? The dealer has confirmed this is nothing to do with VAT increase or VAT free deal.

I am not trying to be difficult or obstructive I am simply carrying out the instructions of Skoda UK who dictate all bonus payments made to me as a franchise holder.

I have read the thread. I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the 'bonus' he was referring to realted to the VAT offer.

The dealer says;

your proposal means that the car will still be registered outwith the cut off date which is 31st December meaning that the campaign money will not be paid at the current level.

Adding this to what my dealer said to me about Skoda not paying the VAT offer (their current 'campaign') if the car is not registered within 10 days of landing at the dealership makes me think thats what the dealer is talking about.

We all know that cars delivered in 2011 will still be subject to the VAT offer but I believe the dealers have to absorb the 2% price rise? This is probably what he means by the campaign not being paid at it's current level.

Of course if the car is not at the dealers this year then there is no chance he can register it.......

I understand that you are annoyed at the principal of it Daz (and I would be too) but to be fair, it's not really a big deal in my opinion and £200 compensation would satisfy me.

Edited by Stevoraith

In fact, come to think of it, if it is indeed the price rise difference then an £18k car will cost the dealer an extra £360. So passing on £200 of the saving to you could be seen as fair- perhaps you should aim for the full £360 (if that is indeed where the problem lies)

In fact, come to think of it, if it is indeed the price rise difference then an £18k car will cost the dealer an extra £360. So passing on £200 of the saving to you could be seen as fair- perhaps you should aim for the full £360 (if that is indeed where the problem lies)

Its not a question of the extra £360 (I presume you mean the extra VAT) but whether SUK will pay the dealers all the other bonus and incentives. For some reason SUK want the cars in the system registered before year end.

Daz

I can understand your annoyance and frustration, I also like the whole car buying process to go according to plan and my requirements.

In your case with the weather, will it actually physically be your possession by 31st Dec? If not I would refuse and start again by ordering on the current deal

I have read the thread. I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the 'bonus' he was referring to realted to the VAT offer.

The dealer says;

your proposal means that the car will still be registered outwith the cut off date which is 31st December meaning that the campaign money will not be paid at the current level.

Adding this to what my dealer said to me about Skoda not paying the VAT offer (their current 'campaign') if the car is not registered within 10 days of landing at the dealership makes me think thats what the dealer is talking about.

We all know that cars delivered in 2011 will still be subject to the VAT offer but I believe the dealers have to absorb the 2% price rise? This is probably what he means by the campaign not being paid at it's current level.

Of course if the car is not at the dealers this year then there is no chance he can register it.......

I understand that you are annoyed at the principal of it Daz (and I would be too) but to be fair, it's not really a big deal in my opinion and £200 compensation would satisfy me.

The dealer seems only concerned for the bonus. It is nothing to do with the VAT offer.

The VAT offer is actually subsidised by Skoda and the dealer 50/50.

If I order car now (before 31 December 2010) I will qualify for the VAT offer and I will avoid the price increases that are due early in the New Year. That is no different to this buyer. He ordered his car before the date and will avoid all the increases. No one is 'absorbing' the 2% price rise. If you order in the New Year the buyer pays 2% more than someone ordering now.

The 31 December cut off date here is the dealers 2010 and December quota. Nothing else. In my view the dealer is being greedy and knows that they are in a strong position. The buyer is quite rightly annoyed (and I would be) as he specifically ordered a car so it was registered in 2011 and not 2010.

All this becomes academic if the dealer can't get hold of the car and register it before 31 December - fingers crossed for more snow!

Edited by pluves1

If I order car now (before 31 December 2010) I will qualify for the VAT offer and I will avoid the price increases that are due early in the New Year. That is no different to this buyer. He ordered his car before the date and will avoid all the increases. No one is 'absorbing' the 2% price rise. If you order in the New Year the buyer pays 2% more than someone ordering now.

Cars delivered next year will be subject to a 2% price rise when the dealer is invoiced by Skoda, but as long as they are ordered this year then the increase will be covered by the dealer. I was told exactly that by a dealer on Wednesday when looking to place an order.

So if Daz's car is registered before the end of the year then no-one will pay the extra 2%, if it is registered after new year then the dealer will have to pay it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest of it. It reads to me like the dealer is talking about cash back relating to the VAT offer and the price rises (hence his words about the current campaign) and that his use of the word bonus was a poor choice of word.

However all we have to go on is the one little snippet Daz posted (and his understandably biased take on events). Maybe he could speak to the dealer and qualify exactly what bonus cash the dealer is talking about?

If it turns out it is his sales target bonus then I agree with you, but to be honest, how likey is it that this one car will be crucial in making them hit their sales targets?

It's amazing what an email to Autoexpress Consumer Advice, copied to the CEO of Skoda UK can do! The garage have phoned this morning to say Skoda contacted them this morning telling them they can honour the original deal and I have to collect my car at the start of 2011. One happy customer again :-)

Not sure why I had to contact Skoda myself and the dealer couldn't though. This experience won't put me off buying another Skoda but I may be reluctant to use the same dealer again.

Thanks for all your thoughts / comments.

It's amazing what an email to Autoexpress Consumer Advice, copied to the CEO of Skoda UK can do! The garage have phoned this morning to say Skoda contacted them this morning telling them they can honour the original deal and I have to collect my car at the start of 2011. One happy customer again :-)

Not sure why I had to contact Skoda myself and the dealer couldn't though. This experience won't put me off buying another Skoda but I may be reluctant to use the same dealer again.

Nice one Daz3031. emoticon-0148-yes.gif That's two of us who managed to fight back against the demon Skoda UK and get what we wanted. Good on you. Enjoy your car when you collect it. I shall pick mine up on 5 January. I have seen it briefly at the dealers. It's fab!

Im might be over scheptical but was the dealer actually telling the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. I would be intrigued to find out if it was ever somerthing Skoda specifically said re cars registered or was it the dealer just trying to hit his targets for his own financial ends

Im might be over scheptical but was the dealer actually telling the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. I would be intrigued to find out if it was ever somerthing Skoda specifically said re cars registered or was it the dealer just trying to hit his targets for his own financial ends

A number of dealers have said the same. Skoda UK also told me when I complained about it too.

A number of dealers have said the same. Skoda UK also told me when I complained about it too.

Fair enough, my apologies to the dealer, sounds like Skoda doing a bit of corporate dealer arm twisting. The best way they can get their registrations for the year up is to supply the cars to all those frustrated people still waiting.