Octavia II 1.9tdi pd engine speed sensor

havoc924

Hi all,

Please can you all help with my latest problem. The other day the car would not start at all. It was coughing and spluttering before it eventually fired up. Put it on the Vag com and got 16706 engine speed sensor No Signal.

I called skoda to see how much the sensor is and where it is located and they kindly inform me the gearbox has to come off and replace the main crank seal. The problem is very intermittent and has only occured twice. Does anyone have any ideas what i should do.

Option 1 - sell the car by auction

Option 2 - put up and shut up until the car gives up the game

Option 3 - spend out and fix the problem.

Thanks all

i thought the speed sensor was the black plastic sensor on the toip of the gearbox and was a doddle to change.

Do did i but the only information i can get is from Skoda and they say its within/part of the main crank seal. I do hope it is a wiring faul as its intermittent but where do you even start looking.

This weekend i will take all the engine panels off and look for anything obviouly loose or broken but if anyone has any further help regarding this sensor being somewhere else i would really apriciate it, there is no harm in me looking to see if skoda have got it wrong.

Thank all

Peter

I've never had a problem with any of these sensors so was not sure but after reading up,

Your car has 2 speed sensors. The one on the top of the gearbox is for the speedo, but there is also a crank sensor on the engine (some people say near the oil filter).

The sensor is replaced from the outside and euro carparts have them instock (under £55)

Look for something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skoda-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor-Octavia-1-9-ATD-1U5-/250704415244?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5f25ca0c

Hi All,

I think i have found the solution. The other day the car let me down big time, cut out on the parkway and left me stranded. Managed to get it home on limp mode but all the same it motivated me to sort it out.

As suspected when i put the car on vag-com the only fault code was "16706 engine speed sensor No Signal" I went to a garage near me who i am quite friendly with and they have contradicted what skoda told me. Sounds like the engine speed sensor IS on the side of the block and can be accesses without touching the gearbox or main crank seal.

Gets better - they seem to think the speed sensor is responsible for the hot start problems too. This is because the engine speed sensor tells the injectors when to open/spray.

The car goes in just after the new year and i will post on here if this is the answer to the Hot Start Problems or not but so far i am hopeful.

emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

I ve seen this fault a couple of times on octavia tdis showing this fault code, usuallt the problem is a simple fix, the wiring harness that runs along by the starter motor main live wire, cuts through the engine wiring harness in turn breaking wires It can be seen by removing the engine undertray and stripping back this loom. Hope this helps:)

Thanks IanVW, i took your advise and got under the car this morning.

I removed the undertray and looked at the starter motor. There is no sign of wear or damage to any of the wires running by the starter motor, i took some pics but cant figure out how to upload them onto this blog.

I have heard that the earth strap on these is weak too but again i had a look at it and cant see it being a problem.

Car goes in on wednesday to have the sensor replaced, i am convinced that is the cause of all my headaches.... will post the outcome.

:D

The crank sensors are a known problem. However certain types of sensor also require a modified pick up to work with it which is part of the rear main oil seal. It's also note worthy the sensor is held in with a 4mm Allen key which has to be accessed at quite an angle. Should the bolt quite tight it might round off and then require the gearbox removing.

The sensor is tucked down behind the oil cooler which has to be removed to access it.

Edited by Tech1e

• 5 months later...

How did you get on with this?

I have similar issues and would like to know the best course of action. Going to check the loom and sensor area first.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hiya,

in the end i had the engine speed sensor replaced. Since then it has not been a problem.

I was not the best job to do as the sensor on my model was behind the gearbox however the box did not have to come off completely.

Hope this helps

How did you get on with this?

I have similar issues and would like to know the best course of action. Going to check the loom and sensor area first.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am from India and own a Skoda Octavia I.9 PD (2008 model). Its called the Skoda Laura here. I experience a severe shudder most of the times on starting the car. This problem never exists when I start her first time in the morning....I had the same problem 8 months back and I replaced the battery, which made the problem go away now it has resurfaced..Help

• 3 years later...

The crank sensors are a known problem. However certain types of sensor also require a modified pick up to work with it which is part of the rear main oil seal. It's also note worthy the sensor is held in with a 4mm Allen key which has to be accessed at quite an angle. Should the bolt quite tight it might round off and then require the gearbox removing.

The sensor is tucked down behind the oil cooler which has to be removed to access it.

Can you actually get access to this bolt! lol    

Such a pain in backside. Can't see where the bolt is - how do you get to it!