Avon or Conti SC3

gwyn

Hi guys.

Just picked up a nail in my front tyre (conti SC2) and being that they are worn with only 5k on them, I might as well get them changed.

I wanted to put some winter tyres on but as its a company car, financial controller didnt want me to spend the extra on them.

My tyre guy has got Avon ZZ3 and Conti SC3 in stock and I was wondering which one people prefer for a vrs. Not much point recommending anything else as probably wont get stock before xmas.

ZZ3 £111 fitted

SC3 £123 fitted

They need to last longer than the SC2. Probably both useless in the snow, but which would be better?

Cheers

My ZZ3s seem to be lasting well, and are easily as good as the Primacies / Proxeses / P Zero Neros / ZE912s I've had on in the past. Just as rubbish as any other Summer tyre in this weather, mind...

I just renewed my fronts after 12800 miles on Conti SC2's (originals). I know its not the best time to fit summer tyres, but went for Sessanta's fitted for £117 from event-tyres. just gotta find time to swap the SC2's on the rear (still with 5mm tread) to the front, so guess in the summer maybe will need another pair!

When I bought the car a couple of years ago I put ZZ3's on the front. After about a year the car was pulling to the left so had full 4 wheel alignment done. This didn't show any issues, but swapping the ZZ3 for older Contis at the back solved the problem. I personally won't be buying them again, but I know others think they are great!

I had those avons a few cars ago - didn't rate them vs. the goodyears I also ran on that car (golf).

I've just swapped my OE-fitted Conti SC2's for a set of 4 SC3's. They seem to be better all-round v.s the earlier tyre, grippier, better at handling standing water and I found them no too bad in snow the other day..

Overall pleased with them.

HTH.

I'm on my second set of ZZ3s on my Fiesta ST. I rate them highly for wear and wet grip. Dry is all you'd want on the road. Noise diificult to judge as the ST is a cacophany anyway, but I plan to fit them to the vRS when the Dunlops wear out (very soon, the way they are going after 5k)

Have ZZ3s fitted to my Audi S3 for the last 10k miles and they still have plenty plenty life left in them. Havent managed to unstick that car in dry or wet so I certainly think they are ok.

Haven't tried the others you mention so can't offer comparison.

I've had Avon ZZ3 on my vRS in the past and thought they were a good tyre. Just not as good as Vred Sessantas or the Mich PS3 i'm running now.

+1

Not sure how long they lasted. I got them 2nd hand from my father in-law before he traded in his A4. I think they did pretty well. I did about another 12-15k on them even after the wear he had. Much quieter than the OEM Conties the car came with.