door card knackered where your elbow rests

Hi folks!

I test rode a VRS petrol today, an 06 plate, as I am chopping in my company car (Audi) to take the cash.

It drove pretty well, the brakes were slightly iffy, on the spongey side but worked well enough with a good prod, the VRS interior is IMO a bit tacky (compared to audi/vw) with some greyish suede bits on the seats at the front (were they white once?). The stereo also sounded a bit tinny.

Overall given the price a contender as a swap from my audi a4 s-line, so it cant be doing all bad.

Wierd fault on it though, the drivers door faux leather top was stretched in one place and on inspection there was a massive elbow sided dent you could feel in the top of the door card, just where your driver elbow rests.....is this something that happens never seen it happen on a car before???, the car was fairly high mileage, think I would have to replace the door card as seeing this feature every day would bug me.

Very common problem that with the door card. My advice - put your elbow on the arm rest not the door card top as some people seem to do - and then ruin their car. A trip to a scrappy or some haggling could get that problem sorted I bet. I don't think the interior tacky at all. I think it's the same as VW imho, but don't forget their will be a difference between VW/Skoda and Audi. Audi is a "premium" brand so things should be a little more impressive.

Oh and the suede is grey not white.

HTH :thumbup:

Sme here, my 07 Octavia suffered from it.

It's unfair to brand the vRS interior as 'tacky' - it just isn't. Audis generally have more shiny bits nailed on the dash.

The one you looked at might be a really basic one being an 06 plate, quite a few of them lacked the dual zone climatronic and centre arm rest at that age and looked very spartan for it.

Check the brake fluid change history and the brake pad condition as the brakes should be reasonably sharp.

Well the deal is done, 2006 Octavia VRS Petrol in Race Blue with the dual climate and 18" alloys coming my way.

If anyone happens to know where I could stand a good chance of getting a drivers side door card to replace the elbow dent'd one (i'm guessing dealers will charge too much) I'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Simon

I'd try the dealer you never know it might not be that bad. Otherwise it'll be Ebay or the breakers.

Interior isn't up to Audi, BMW standards but I found it to be better than it's competitors and arguably better than VW.

Well the deal is done, 2006 Octavia VRS Petrol in Race Blue with the dual climate and 18" alloys coming my way.

If anyone happens to know where I could stand a good chance of getting a drivers side door card to replace the elbow dent'd one (i'm guessing dealers will charge too much) I'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Simon

Which dealer did you buy from?

£138 + VAT trade from TPS for one from a standard Elegance, IIRC.

Edited by martinch

Mine's the same - been quoted circa £420 from the dealers to supply and fit a new one - going to to see if I can get one of the repair compnies that advertise o nline to come and sort it before it goes back at the end of the 3 year lease.

I can reach the RHS arm rest with my elbow ,with a stretch, but using the door top feels like a wrench too far.

I'm over 6' , of normal proportions, but have the seat on its lowest setting.

Which dealer did you buy from?

Bought from an independant garage in knaresborough, dealers didnt have much VRS stock locally, especially in my budget.

£138 + VAT trade from TPS for one from a standard Elegance, IIRC.

Thanks, sounds like may be worth giving them a try

Mine's the same - been quoted circa £420 from the dealers to supply and fit a new one - going to to see if I can get one of the repair compnies that advertise o nline to come and sort it before it goes back at the end of the 3 year lease.

Ouch, dont think I'll be bothering at that price!