Where to fit new parking sensors?

baza16

Hello

I’m new on here, and recently acquired an old superb classic. I’m not used to parking such a big car so I thought I’d fit some aftermarket parking sensors from fleabay.

Where is the best place to fit them on the rear bumper? As it’s not just a straight forward replacement. On the black rubbing strip or lower down on the silver bumper? I’m asking because I can order silver coloured sensors or matt black. I’m not fussed about the colour being a perfect match, but it would look much better in the correct colours.

I’ve been trawling though the search and can’t find anything relevant

Cheers

Hello

I’m new on here, and recently acquired an old superb classic. I’m not used to parking such a big car so I thought I’d fit some aftermarket parking sensors from fleabay.

Where is the best place to fit them on the rear bumper? As it’s not just a straight forward replacement. On the black rubbing strip or lower down on the silver bumper? I’m asking because I can order silver coloured sensors or matt black. I’m not fussed about the colour being a perfect match, but it would look much better in the correct colours.

I’ve been trawling though the search and can’t find anything relevant

Cheers

The net is'nt the answer to everything !!!!, Find a Superb that has them and copy the position of the sensors.

Hi baza,

Welcome to Briskoda.

There are two approaches to this, both work equally well.

One my sons Fabia (with a black trim strip let into the rear bumper) I fitted black sensors into the trim strip without even taking the bumper off the car. Easy job using the hole cutter that seems to come with all the after-market sensor kits available. The entire job took about an hour and a half start to finish. As suggested above, check out on a similar car to yours for the positions of the sensors to make it look original.

On our Roomsters I took the bumper off (was fitting towbar on one of the cars anyway) The correct locations for the sensors are moulded into the back side of the bumper so you can see exactly where to drill the holes (possibly the same on your Superb) No black strip on these cars so they needed body coloured sensors. Again it's an easy job. There's access through the body into the boot via a big rubber grommet so no drilling of metalwork required, again I would expect it to be the same on your car. If you need paint then apparently Halfords on Wellington Road have a colour matching service and it's about seven quid for a 500ml aerosol. Can't comment on the colour match yet as I've not used them yet.

I hope you've got somewhere to work undercover in this weather, the radar picture for what we are due to receive later this morning doesn't look good.

All the best.

Edited by tuscan30

Cheers, I have been meaning to go and have a look at some examples. Good hint on the mouldings in the bumper, no doubt it won’t be that simple for me. It never is.

I’ve got a thermal boiler suit and a shovel to clear the snow, who needs a garage. :D

I would put them in the black strip for several reasons... Firstly you know there will be clearance behind them as this is the location of the factory fit sensors... Other places may have the crash bar directly behind the bumper skin. Secondly if you mess them up, or decide to remove them for whatever reason in the future, it's much cheaper and easier to simply replace this strip. Finally I think they would look better there...

Cheers, I have been meaning to go and have a look at some examples. Good hint on the mouldings in the bumper, no doubt it won’t be that simple for me. It never is.

I’ve got a thermal boiler suit and a shovel to clear the snow, who needs a garage. :D

the original sensors are on the black moulding 4 sensors the outside ones are approx 15cm from the inside edge of the tail light the two middle ones are approx 7cm from the outer edge of the number plate indent on the boot lid and they fit on the moulding below the groove If you remove the bumber (if its like the car factory fitted with sensors) you should find that the main bumber is pre- moulded to accept the sensors so all you have to do is drill the moulding. Skoda placed the original control unit on the right side wheel arch area with the buzzer located under the parcel shelf but please for your own sake do not fit the original skoda supplied unit its s*** and indeed any one that has any problems with it rather than replace individual sensors my advice would be to just replace the unit with an after market unit with the same diameter sensors as I done after having to replace 2 of the skoda sensors (which cost more than a complete aftermarket unit) Hope this helps you.

Edited by dohertyjj

Thanks for that

I kinda gathered that the oe sensors are utter pish with the number of posts about their faults! 15 quid ebay job for me, if one brakes 6 months down the line I wouldn't mind spending another 15 quid on a replacement.

Thanks for that

I kinda gathered that the oe sensors are utter pish with the number of posts about their faults! 15 quid ebay job for me, if one brakes 6 months down the line I wouldn't mind spending another 15 quid on a replacement.

They do look like they are crap if you go by the amount of people who have reported theirs failing, however when I sold mine a couple of months ago (when it was 6 1/2 years old) I had never had a single issue with the OE ones :thumbup:

Forums are a great place to find out how to fix faulty items, but people don't post stating "my xxx has NOT failed" do they? so you get a slightly biased view.

The OE position would be the best place to fit them, on the MKI Octavia's at least, they were marked on the bumper and rub strip :thumbup:

just replace the unit with an after market unit with the same diameter sensors as I done after having to replace 2 of the skoda sensors (which cost more than a complete aftermarket unit)

What was the make of the kit you used, and where from?

cheers

What was the make of the kit you used, and where from?

cheers

someone asked me that before and i looked to see where the packaging was but I must have dumped it I picked them up on ebay listed as skoda but when they arrived they were in a vw box and were not a skoda fit but they came with glue on brackets to hold the sensors in place rewired the system its a simple process once you locate the original box just rewire the plug and the original buzzer is standard kit on all systems I will check the unit over the christmas to see if I can find the part no and i will post it

The net is'nt the answer to everything !!!!, Find a Superb that has them and copy the position of the sensors.

What a reply! If you've got nothing helpful to say keep your mouth shut.

The net has the answer to everything ;) this is a forum for helping each other not for listening to your tripe.

What a reply! If you've got nothing helpful to say keep your mouth shut.

The net has the answer to everything ;) this is a forum for helping each other not for listening to your tripe.

Sorry if you feel that way Chris, but I'm sure you know better than to believe everything you read on the net.

.Anyway it is true that the easiest way to position your oparking sensors Is to find a similar car and copy the dimensions. I know because I've done it. Also the best fix for defective sensors is to fit an aftermarket kit.

So in balance my reply was more helpful than yours" so If you've got nothing helpful to say keep your mouth shut". :rofl:

Edited by Hoverurb

Sorry if you feel that way Chris, but I'm sure you know better than to believe everything you read on the net.

.Anyway it is true that the easiest way to position your oparking sensors Is to find a similar car and copy the dimensions. I know because I've done it. Also the best fix for defective sensors is to fit an aftermarket kit.

So in balance my reply was more helpful than yours" so If you've got nothing helpful to say keep your mouth shut". :rofl:

Barry is my little brother so im entitled to reply rubbish to him !

He's outside now installing the sensors, the instructions that came with them are comical and make little sense.

Parking sensors installed, didn’t take me long at all. Working perfectly.

Just as you said the rear strip is marked on the inside where the oe sensors should go.

I bought these from ebay seller Londoncolour My link Ordered on the 23rd, arrived on the 24th. The matt black blends in perfectly with the bumper strip.