Newbie (sort of); new car (sort of) and questions (definitely)

Newbie? - well I've moved up in the Skoda world. The old Octy I has gone, probably to the auctions and I'm now being told by HID to make sure I look after the 'sort of new' (actually 3 years old) one properly !!

It's nice - I've gone from an Ambiente estate 1.9 tdi to the equivalent Elegance model (57 plate). 8 years difference and a bit more pampering and as said, it's nice. I will have to get used to it being that bit quieter and smoother .. and more ooomf otherwise plod will be after me.

Anyway - questions

1 How do I tell which starred items in the handbook I have ? Some are obvious but it would have been nice to have had the heated windscreen washer nozzles for instance and I'm only guessing I haven't as I'm not getting any wash.

2 The handbook shows a row of switches below the Climatronic controls - only the right hand one of the 5 is active and is marked "ASR Off", and inevitably I can't find anything about this in the Handbook. Anyone help on that please ?

3 Coming back to the windscreen wash; on the old Octy you could hear the pump running for this, but I can't hear the pump on this one, so I checked under the bonnet that there was fluid OK, but then tried the wipers and hence the pump again ! So how does one fool the bonnet up system to allow the wipers to work then? (that's a bit like the electronics in planes which senses 'Wheels Up'! - I used to work on aircraft electronics)

4 There's an "AUX-in" socket in the front seat arm rest for an MP3 player which is referenced in "Technical Changes 05.2006" but I can't find where it says what type of connector it is - anyone help on that one please.

OK 4 is all I can think of for the moment - no doubt time will find some more. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to being able to drive at more than 30 mph, however good that is for the fuel consumption !

Cheers

Rob

Newbie? - well I've moved up in the Skoda world. The old Octy I has gone, probably to the auctions and I'm now being told by HID to make sure I look after the 'sort of new' (actually 3 years old) one properly !!

It's nice - I've gone from an Ambiente estate 1.9 tdi to the equivalent Elegance model (57 plate). 8 years difference and a bit more pampering and as said, it's nice. I will have to get used to it being that bit quieter and smoother .. and more ooomf otherwise plod will be after me.

Anyway - questions

1 How do I tell which starred items in the handbook I have ? Some are obvious but it would have been nice to have had the heated windscreen washer nozzles for instance and I'm only guessing I haven't as I'm not getting any wash.

There is no heated option...so you dont have it

2 The handbook shows a row of switches below the Climatronic controls - only the right hand one of the 5 is active and is marked "ASR Off", and inevitably I can't find anything about this in the Handbook. Anyone help on that please ?

Thats to turn off the traction control

3 Coming back to the windscreen wash; on the old Octy you could hear the pump running for this, but I can't hear the pump on this one, so I checked under the bonnet that there was fluid OK, but then tried the wipers and hence the pump again ! So how does one fool the bonnet up system to allow the wipers to work then? (that's a bit like the electronics in planes which senses 'Wheels Up'! - I used to work on aircraft electronics)

???Pass

4 There's an "AUX-in" socket in the front seat arm rest for an MP3 player which is referenced in "Technical Changes 05.2006" but I can't find where it says what type of connector it is - anyone help on that one please.

Jack (Microphone sized)

OK 4 is all I can think of for the moment - no doubt time will find some more. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to being able to drive at more than 30 mph, however good that is for the fuel consumption !

Cheers

Rob

Sorry I couldnt help with your pump...Check the fuses?

The sticker in the boot under the carpet will tell you what was installed at build time - well, it has a load of codes which can then be translated using this

ASR off button is to turn the Anti-Slip Regulator (Traction control) off

I don't think heated nozzles were ever an option in UK Octavias, and it's probably the screen wash that's frozen anyway unless it's almost neat, mines about 50:50 and generally not working at the moment...

The Aux-In socket in the centre armrest (Jumbo Box) is a 3.5mm stereo input. You need a cable from your ipod (other mp3 playing devices are available) with a plug on both ends, one for the device and one for the car (think headphone plug on both ends of the cable). If you are using an ipod then you can also buy cables that plug into the multi connector on the phon with the correct plug for the aux-in. Apparently these give better sound that a standard cable. I've never used one so can't compare

Edited by Raglits

1. I don't think any Octavias have heated jets - L&K maybe? How to tell what you have got? The sticker in the boot suggested above gives very limited info. Best way is trial and error

2. This button turns off the traction control - it is on by default and lights up when switched off

3. You don't want to do that! They are disabled for a good reason - with the bonnet up the wipers will hit the bonnet and get very mangled :'( .

4. This is to connect to the headphone out socket of an mp3 player - I think it is a standard 3mm jack - the same as on your headphones. No doubt a Skoda dealer will sell you the correct lead at a suitably inflated price

Heated washer jets are not available on the Octavia in the UK.

My washer pump is also not working at the moment, not even making a noise.

It did it a few weeks ago but then started working again when the weather got milder so I know its frozen rather than broken.

She must be bright?! :giggle: sorry couldn't resist. :thumbup:

Edited by Pagey1255

Many thanks, guys, for all your help. Somewhere I found heated washer nozzles in the handbook last night - tonight of course I can't find the reference; similarly earlier this evening I found ASR in the book , but now can't !!

But you've all helped and that's great.

Raglitts and Eccleshill - thanks for the pointer to the label and the decode data; the label also appears in the front of the Service Schedule book by the way. I has told me that I have a CD changer which I didn't know and headlamp washers which might exist behind some sort of plate on the front bumper - further exploration tomorrow.

Interesting the point about the wipers and the bonnet as I took a close look earlier at the possibility if the mangling mentioned and came to the conclusion it would only occur if someone folder the wipers out - if the bonnet was that close to the windscreen when up then any wind gust would blow it against the windscreen. I will assume for the moment that the pump is just frozen - with -12C here tonight that's pretty likely.

by the way it took me a moment or two to get the play on words on HID - well spotted.

Cheers, thanks and a good Christmas to you all.

Rob