How do you find out if car was a TAXI?

skoda auto

Hello chaps,

looking to buy a newer skoda, and just wondered if there is a way of finding out if car was used for TAXI driving? Perhaps a taxi association or government body who can tell you this? Something like HPI check, you call them and give reg number and they can check?

regards

Check the LH rear door hinge pins for play by lifting the door edge.

Sit in the LH rear seat and see if it is softer than the front LH or worn more than the others. Check for trim damage caused by people's feet in the rear - drunks don't respect taxis.

Air fresheners and lowest power diesel engine fitment are also suspicious. Look for taximeter fitting holes or wiring bodges.

These cars are easy to clock - so use your wits.

rotodiesel.

thanks guys,

think that made me suspicious is that driver door card-paner is badly worn, heater matrix is leaking, couple of holes on dashboard and the fact its done 138000miles and car is only 2006?

there are no holes on front or rear bumpers tho.

is there an associatio that can check this?

regards

Sounds like one to very much avoid - doubt there is a central Taxi register as each council makes its own rules.

Mileage is excessive for a 2006, though a well travelled rep mobile could do that, but with the other things you mention its not worth it There are plenty of early MK2s out there so keep looking - have you looked at the For Sale ads on the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but looking at old MOT's can give a clue (if you're able to get the reference number from the V5c or current MOT you can look up the history online). A lot of taxi firms tend to sell off their cars after a fixed number of years (typically 2-3) so if there's a point in the history when the annual mileage drops suddenly that could be a good indication.

I've noticed taxis round here with their info plates attached to the bottom of the rear numberplate, so no bumper holes, although they must manage to avoid the super-strict MOT testers I usually encounter to get away with that :D

138k in 5 years its just run in !

i was in a 2005 Superb 1.8 on lpg the other day with 337000 miles (now thats a Taxi)

ive just got rid of an 57 plate CRV with 125k on it and one of the lads at work has a an 06 mondeo st 155 with 176k on it (we call it the "cortina" at work)

Big milleges are nothing to be afraid of especially if it is a reps car we dont all drive like idiots ! but i would rather have a 2-3 year old car with 80k worth of motorway miles than a 40k 5 year old car thats never been out of the town

Andy

Also look for signs around the rear bumper for taxi plates, and examine the front doors on both sides for signs of taxi firm logos. If its Scottish, or Manchester reg'd and is a base model, odds on its been a cab. I know a firm my mate works for in Manchester that rents taxis out to minicabbers who have non fault accidents dumps theirs at 3 years old.

Don't bother looking for screw/rivet holes in the bumpers, i know quite a few taxis round here tape them on or use velcro, others fit a square plate and put the taxi plate next to it so the holes are hidden by the number plate. Robin has the right idea, check online with the VOSA website. Was in a cab that had the meter in the top cubby hole, owner said he's got a spare one to put in when he sells the car, so no holes!